PDA

View Full Version : Remage barrel

Larrykwebb
12-20-2020, 11:41 PM
I'm wanting to change out my factory barrel to a better one.. how good are the Remage barrels out there on the market.....

Robinhood
12-21-2020, 12:06 AM
I'm wanting to change out my factory barrel to a better one.. how good are the Remage barrels out there on the market.....

I think they are great if you have a Remington. If you have a Savage not so good.

Larrykwebb
12-21-2020, 04:37 PM
I have a savage 12 lrp. I want to replace it next year.
What are the downside of savage prefit..you speak of

Robinhood
12-21-2020, 04:49 PM
There are only upsides to savage prefits.
You jumped from Remage to Savage prefit.
The Remage will not fit your Savage. The threads are the same diameter but the Remington prefits have 16 threads per inch to mach a Remington action where the Savage prefit has 20 threads per inch to fit a Savage action. They cannot be interchanged.

Also your LRP may have an 1 1/8th 20 TPI and even a standard 1 1/16-20 Savage will not fit.

SageRat Shooter
12-21-2020, 04:49 PM
I have a savage 12 lrp. I want to replace it next year.
What are the downside of savage prefit..you speak of

Robinhood was trying to be a comedian again. Remage is for Remington rifles-- whereas you want the "savage prefit".

I have 3 Criterion barrels installed on various rifles, and everyone of them has been a shooter. The best groups I've been able to shoot are about .5MOA, but I think that's just because "I" can't shoot any better than that.

One thing I can honestly say is: they are all better than a stock savage barrel. the only down side I can even think of is the purchase of the barrel, barrel nut (highly suggested)and maybe a new precision recoil lug, head space gauges, barrel nut wrench and a barrel vise.

Robinhood
12-21-2020, 05:29 PM
Actually I was not. Remage prefits don't work on Savages. They are great for Remingtons.

Robinhood was trying to be a comedian again. Remage is for Remington rifles-- whereas you want the "savage prefit".

Larrykwebb
12-22-2020, 12:43 AM
Yes I understand that it's not interchangeable,, just referring to savage and remage pre fit barrels 8n general

charlie b
12-22-2020, 08:14 AM
They are just as good as that mfg's regular barrels. A Shilen is a Shilen, prefit or not prefit. A Krieger will be near the top of the heap. And others can make a prefit as a custom job, such as Bartlein.

GrenGuy
12-22-2020, 08:24 AM
I am shocked to hear the LRP may have different threads?
Is Savage trying to trip us up again?

Edit: OK, The LRP could be Standard Shank or Large Shank. Got it now :rolleyes:

Robinhood
12-22-2020, 08:44 PM
I am shocked to hear the LRP may have different threads?
Is Savage trying to trip us up again?

Edit: OK, The LRP could be Standard Shank or Large Shank. Got it now :rolleyes:

The LRP is a target action based rifle. Right bolt, left port/eject, single shot, large shank(tennon 1 1/8-20 TPI).

Nomosendero
12-22-2020, 09:29 PM
They are just as good as that mfg's regular barrels. A Shilen is a Shilen, prefit or not prefit. A Krieger will be near the top of the heap. And others can make a prefit as a custom job, such as Bartlein.

And that is very significant. And if you are not giving up accuracy then why not?

Larrykwebb
12-23-2020, 03:45 PM
My action is right port with bottom mag

Robinhood
12-23-2020, 04:59 PM
My action is right port with bottom mag

you are correct. It is the lrpv model that is large shank LP, RB
I believe the LRP is a repeater target action with a large shank. RB, RP