PDA

View Full Version : Savage Target Action build

Pages : [1] 2

Raydee38
12-18-2020, 01:15 PM
I just ordered a Target Action from NSS and it comes with a 308 bolt face. I have a extra 223 bolt face that I plan to swap out but I am wondering if the PTG is a better way to go?

Fuj'
12-18-2020, 02:17 PM
Any reason you did not order the one with the .223 bolt face ??
You would be paying extra for a bolt face from PTG that in my
opinion is good, but really not any better then the one fit up from
Savage,

Raydee38
12-18-2020, 02:20 PM
I wanted the target action that accepts a detachable mag. Changing the bolt face is no big deal at all, I have a factory 223 bolt face and I am just curious of the PTG is that much better?

celltech
12-18-2020, 02:23 PM
You can judge for yourself here: https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?43818-Pacific-Tool-and-Gauge-bolt-heads

nksmfamjp
12-18-2020, 02:40 PM
I think you would rather use a Savage bolt face.

Raydee38
12-18-2020, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the link, I think I will stick with my Savage bolt head.

Robinhood
12-18-2020, 06:33 PM
I am a fan of their bolt heads. I have had to increase the depth of the ejector hole on one. Outside of that I have been happy.

GrenGuy
12-18-2020, 07:35 PM
That action can further benefit from having the firing pin hole bushed, in My opinion.

Texas10
12-18-2020, 07:52 PM
Bushing the firing pin hole would be very advisable. You'll benefit from better ignition and fewer cratering or blanking of primers. You'll need to assemble the bolt with the new bolt head before sending off to one of several guys who will do this. I used Grimstod and the service and workmanship was very professional.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OtPmU7diLME

mikeinco
12-19-2020, 07:26 AM
a really big flaw in the savage actions is the really sloppy fit of the bolt.
the floating bolt head makes up for a lot of the bolt slop, but not all.
if you buy a "drop in" bolt you gain nothing, you need the action and bolt to match.

so the action would need to be machined to match the bolt.
for even an upper end build i see little advantage,
only a real top end build would benefit, and why do that on a savage.

GrenGuy
12-19-2020, 09:26 AM
If the best machined action beat the Savage every time, then that would be a fact.
But it doesn’t, and its not :cool:

Nomosendero
12-19-2020, 11:55 AM
You can judge for yourself here: https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?43818-Pacific-Tool-and-Gauge-bolt-heads

Thanks for the link

mikeinco
12-19-2020, 05:48 PM
sorry but you are in error.
bring your savage action rifle to a 100,200, 600,1000 yard bench rest match....where accuracy counts,,,not in the general area steel shooting.

If the best machined action beat the Savage every time, then that would be a fact.
But it doesn’t, and its not :cool:

Texas10
12-19-2020, 09:27 PM
sorry but you are in error.
bring your savage action rifle to a 100,200, 600,1000 yard bench rest match....where accuracy counts,,,not in the general area steel shooting.

I wonder if a few members of the Savage F-TR team might argue with you on that point, Mike. As for me, my SSS built 6br is chasing pretty closely the tails of guys shooting custom 30BR's at a local club for score match. And I'm new to competition shooting and a complete novice at wind reading. In fact, my flags are home made and cost about $2.00 each to build, and my load is not quite fully developed, yet I scored one point behind the winner, a 249 instead of 250.

I would argue that if one had an equal number of full custom and stock Savage rifles at a meet, providing both were well stocked with all the best rests, bags, spotting scopes, flags etc. that the scoring gap between the two would be very small. And while we know for certain that "full custom" brings a lot of refinements to shooting hardware, there is always going to be the talent factor of the marksman. Money rarely buys success in absence of raw talent.

GrenGuy
12-19-2020, 10:57 PM
Well put “T 10”

mikeinco
12-20-2020, 11:46 AM
the problem is your original statement and your 'test' ARE NOT the what you proposed.
the best is not f class
the f CLASS x ring is SEVEN times larger than the x ring of a 600 yard benchrest target.
the degree of accuracy is NOT EVEN CLOSE.
bring your f class to a be match and when you win 50/50 then you can say that,
till then i am correct
6br does better at 600 and 1000 but it is still beat on a regular basis by 6 dasher and 6bra.
your shooting skills at a local club match is not an indication of the of the level of quality of a savage action.
i did noi win but i beat 6ppcs and 6brs with a 30br at my local score matches, me on a 700 action, them on custom actions.
its had to beat a well tuned custom 30 br at score.

I wonder if a few members of the Savage F-TR team might argue with you on that point, Mike. As for me, my SSS built 6br is chasing pretty closely the tails of guys shooting custom 30BR's at a local club for score match. And I'm new to competition shooting and a complete novice at wind reading. In fact, my flags are home made and cost about $2.00 each to build, and my load is not quite fully developed, yet I scored one point behind the winner, a 249 instead of 250.

I would argue that if one had an equal number of full custom and stock Savage rifles at a meet, providing both were well stocked with all the best rests, bags, spotting scopes, flags etc. that the scoring gap between the two would be very small. And while we know for certain that "full custom" brings a lot of refinements to shooting hardware, there is always going to be the talent factor of the marksman. Money rarely buys success in absence of raw talent.

GrenGuy
12-21-2020, 08:53 AM
So what! Nothing this guy says is going to stop Me from competing in 600 and 1,000yd BR competition, using My Stevens 200 actions, My home built stocks, etc, etc. When I have experienced success, it has felt very rewarding.

If I want a Bat action, I will post on the Bat site.

charlie b
12-21-2020, 09:09 AM
Don't mind Mike's rants. At times he has some really good advice. And, if you want to place first in National level benchrest then a Savage is not where I would start either. But, at local matches you could still be competitive, depending on the skill levels of the other shooters (and how many show up to a match :) ).

GrenGuy
12-21-2020, 02:00 PM
His “rants”, as presented, are contrary to the basic rules of this site.

Anyway, I apologize to the Thread Starter for My contribution to leading this discussion off track.

Orezona
12-21-2020, 04:10 PM
His “rants”, as presented, are contrary to the basic rules of this site.

Anyway, I apologize to the Thread Starter for My contribution to leading this discussion off track.

it is easier to block "broinco" and not have to see his "rants" or "superior knowledge." It helps keep your threads clean and you don't have to be reminded that he is here.