PDA

View Full Version : 243 to 7MM-08

Pages : [1] 2

Mr.Snerdly
12-15-2020, 01:55 PM
Is a barrel the only thing I need to change or are there other required components? What would be a good brand of barrel without spending a fortune?

Wayne Nixon
12-15-2020, 02:19 PM
Only thing you need is a barrel and go/no go gauges. Savage take off would be cheapest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SageRat Shooter
12-15-2020, 02:23 PM
you'll need a barrel for sure, I went with a new recoil lug and barrel nut as well, and I also had to get the headspace gauges, and action wrench. A barrel vise is a big help as well.

Mr.Snerdly
12-15-2020, 02:59 PM
I believe the barrel nut is a good idea. Never thought of that.

Mr.Snerdly
12-15-2020, 03:03 PM
Another thing, don't they make a special wrench to take the barrel nut off? Probably be a good idea to get something designed for the job rather than try to cobble something up I would think even if it costs a little. Could use it in the future as well..

SageRat Shooter
12-15-2020, 03:11 PM
Another thing, don't they make a special wrench to take the barrel nut off? Probably be a good idea to get something designed for the job rather than try to cobble something up I would think even if it costs a little. Could use it in the future as well..

If you have the smooth barrel nut and are planning on replacing it, then a good old pipe wrench will take it off. If you're going to invest in the action wrench (barrel nut wrench) then I suggest getting the slotted wrench to match the new barrel nut you are going to get.

I recommend Criterion or Shilen barrels from Northland shooter supply.

https://northlandshooterssupply.com/barrels/criterion-savage/

Fuj'
12-15-2020, 03:30 PM
Yes, you will need a head space guage to do it right. The .308 family of cases
share the same guage. .308, 7-08, 243, and the 260 Remington.

I would agree using NSS as your one stop shop. Give Jim a call.

yobuck
12-15-2020, 04:46 PM
How much difference in cost would be involved if you just bought another gun?

Mr.Snerdly
12-15-2020, 05:38 PM
^^^I imagine you could buy an Axis cheaper than a good barrel but probably not a Model 10. Another thing, another gun would need another scope, probably $250-300 for a good, durable one and then there is the rings and base. It would all add up to quite a bit.

nksmfamjp
12-15-2020, 06:55 PM
Why 7mm-08? Just curious.

shaffe48
12-15-2020, 07:20 PM
I'm changing the barrel on mine and I'm surprised more people don't go down this route. If you already have gun, you can turn it into something special for less money than getting yet another factory so so.

I have a 308 and 243. I like the 243 but if not for the 308 the 7mm-08 might be an option.

Mr.Snerdly
12-15-2020, 07:41 PM
Barrel life is much better than a 243. Overall I think it is a better caliber. Less recoil than a 308 although I doubt it is a lot less. I have never shot one but it looks good on paper.

Robinhood
12-15-2020, 10:23 PM
7mm08 is a great whitetail cartridge. and very accurate round for middle and longer ranges

mogwai
12-16-2020, 12:04 AM
I support the notion of a few barrels for one gun. I have an older 110 with 243, 308 and a magnum contour 358 barrel. I think the 308 is destined for a trip to JES reboring to become a sporter 358 and that magnum contour barrel will become trade fodder. But I digress.

It is simple for me to move back and forth from a light cartridge to a thumper in the matter of an hour including sight in. These urges are seasonal and I have saved a lot of money by just switching barrels, instead of buying more guns

Txhillbilly
12-16-2020, 12:24 AM
7mm-08 is a great cartridge, not only for deer, it'll kill anything a 308 will.

Gun Shack has a McGowen 7mm-08 26" varmint contour barrel in stock. Most other barrels will be a long wait to get.

http://www.gunshack.com/barrels/mcgowen-savage-replacement-barrel-7mm-08-26-in-varmint-stainless-steel

If you're wanting a sporter contour barrel, send me a PM. I have a factory 22" Savage barrel with factory sights that I'll let you have for the price of shipping. I took it off an action that I bought, it doesn't look like it has been shot much.

Mr.Snerdly
12-16-2020, 06:29 AM
7mm-08 is a great cartridge, not only for deer, it'll kill anything a 308 will.

Gun Shack has a McGowen 7mm-08 26" varmint contour barrel in stock. Most other barrels will be a long wait to get.

http://www.gunshack.com/barrels/mcgowen-savage-replacement-barrel-7mm-08-26-in-varmint-stainless-steel

If you're wanting a sporter contour barrel, send me a PM. I have a factory 22" Savage barrel with factory sights that I'll let you have for the price of shipping. I took it off an action that I bought, it doesn't look like it has been shot much.

Is a sporter barrel as good as a heavy barrel for accuracy? I know a heavy barrel doesn't heat up as fast and usually are longer, giving more velocity but other than that are there advantages?

yobuck
12-16-2020, 07:37 AM
^^^I imagine you could buy an Axis cheaper than a good barrel but probably not a Model 10. Another thing, another gun would need another scope, probably $250-300 for a good, durable one and then there is the rings and base. It would all add up to quite a bit.
Also money invested, compared with money spent, as in resale value.
As for scope, swapping them from gun to gun is no big deal so long as each gun wears the same base.
Id personally keep the gun and buy another, both are usefull cartridges.

Fuj'
12-16-2020, 08:14 AM
Is a sporter barrel as good as a heavy barrel for accuracy? I know a heavy barrel doesn't heat up as fast and usually are longer, giving more velocity but other than that are there advantages?

A good sporter barrel will shoot well, but like was said, heats up much faster
and can start throwing shots. On the other side of the coin, the Sporter will
cool much faster then a heavy target type. If it's a hunter, heat is a non
question. As for choosing the 7-08 ?? it's a decent cartridge no doubt. If me,
I'd do a 6.5 Creedmoor and have a wider spread of utility. I've been shooting
one for some time. It can get it done. And one of the easiest to tune of any
rifle I have shot.

stomp442
12-16-2020, 09:20 AM
See if Midway has one of the Shaw barrel kits in stock for that caliber. They come with with barrel, wrench and gauges to do the job. EABCO may be another place to look for one of the kits.

8mm RUM
12-16-2020, 09:34 AM
I have many deer/elk guns and as many varmint guns and even a few African game guns.
My go to is currently a hurters Mauser in 6mm rem, but for 35 years it was a cheep savage in 243.
Literally tens of thousands of shell went through her. 400 shot Pdogs days it is easy to blast away. I have killed GOBS of deer and plenty of elk and a few bear with it. I NEVER felt under gunned. A 75 gr speer for coyote/P dogs and a 85 gr speer for the rest. Push them as fast as you feel comfortable and still keep the group under a 1/2 inch. Just saying.
PS: It's still shoots as good now as when we worked up the loads 35 years ago.