PDA

View Full Version : New 110 Tactical Desert in 6mm Creedmoor ('6Creed')

jeffreybehr
12-15-2020, 01:50 AM
It finally arrived, 2-1/2 weeks after buying it on GunBroker.

Of course I took it apart to clean, oil, inspect, etc.. Looks good as far as I can see.. The AccuStock rail system is impressive, providing what appears to be a solid foundation in the synthetic stock for the receiver.

Both sling-swivel/bipod screws are threaded into the Accustock aluminum frame and NOT into the 'wood'.

The scope, a Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24X50, fits well in the Vortex low rings.

I removed the site-mounting rail, wiped the oil off it, and reinstalled it with ZAP Z-42 medium-strenth Thread Locker.. All 12 of the scope-mounting screws are #8s (I believe) with Torx #25 sockets.. I used my new Wheeler F.A.T. Wrench torquedriver to tighten all screws to about 18 inchpounds.. Turns out the two receiver screws are also Torx 25s but larger diameter, and I tightened them to 30 inchpounds IIRC.. I thought the knurling on the bolt knob might be tough on my delicate office-boy hands, but it's not.. Tomorrow I'm off to my casual-shooting place north of Phoenix for site-in and break-in.. I guess we'll find out if it really shoots! :-)

Didn't touch the adjustable comb height or adjustable length-of-pull, but I'm bringing all those parts and a screwdriver with me tomorrow.. The light-brown color is a bit darker than I thought it would be, and I like that. The magazine is a MAGPUL-brand 10-round AISC type for 7.62X51 caliber, and I just ordered three more.. With Sleepy Joe the civil-rights thief in the White House, he who hesitates may well be left out.. So break-in/site-in Tuesday and the first shooting of 16 trios of three different bullets and lots of increasing powder charges on Wednesday.

1Gifford
12-15-2020, 12:15 PM
Is your rail turned around?

jeffreybehr
12-15-2020, 09:03 PM
Is your rail turned around?

It surely is!. GOOD eyes; I didn't see that. :redface-new: No wonder it took so much elevation change to get it on today.

jeffreybehr
12-17-2020, 01:44 PM
So broken-in, I spent almost four hours at Ben Avery Shooting Facility yesterday in absolutely gorgeous weather of clear blue sky, lots of warm sun, and 60-degree days.. THIS is why millions of us live in this hot-as-hell-for-six-months desert!

Got it sited in but that too longer because I couldn't see those 0.24" holes in the target, even at 24 power.

And shoot it does, including some very small groups--along with some too-large ones.. The rifle performing perfectly if a bit stiffly, but that got better after more ammo was shot thru it.. I discovered I did not much like using the bipod--the whole system is a bit too shaky for this Mr. Shaky to enjoy, but wow is it easy to clean and work on while resting on the bipod, so probably I'll leave it on.. I returned to using my very-entry-level Caldwell LeadSled Solo--where do they get these names?--and that worked better than I thought it would.

Finally shot groups comparing many different loadings; shot some nicely small 3-shot goups--as in 0.45" to 0.6"ers--at 100 yards...and some larger ones, too.. I think I lost some confidence in that Vortex 4-24X50 scope, so last night I moved my NightForce 12-42x56 Competition scope...
https://www.nightforceoptics.com/riflescopes/benchrest/precision-benchrest-12-42x56
...from my Savage 12 Benchrest safequeen it to this new 6Creed rifle, on the same low Vortex rings the Vortex 4-24 was in.. We'll see how this goes.. I much prefer the NF's simpler reticle, the NP-2DD, to the tactical-style reticle on the Vortex, that being too 'tac-y' and complicated for me.. So I now have a used, $1400-new scope on my $700 rifle.. At least I didn't have to buy it...this time.

FWIW, the most-accurate, averaged, bullet I shot was the Nosler RDF105, that average being 0.56" for five three-shot groups.

Will be working up some new loads to test next time--I LOVE this stuff!--and have a two-consecutive-sessions date @ Ben Avery next Wednesday and the one after that.. Probably will get out to the Usery Pass range some time before then.