PDA

View Full Version : Medalist - Thought they were better quality????

jb177
11-13-2010, 10:55 PM
I put a Duramaxx on my 223 and the barrel was leaning to the right. NO matter how much I took off the left side of the front of the recoil lug, it still didn't work. I had a gunsmith straighten it all out.

So...I bought a Medalist for my 6mmbr. Same PROBLEM. The kicker is that it has aluminum for the recoil lug area. I ground it down and still leans to the left. Guess it's going to the gunsmith as well.

Anybody else have my bad luck?

Uncle Jack
11-13-2010, 11:20 PM
Did you complain to B & C?

I had a similar problem with a stock from another manufacturer and they replaced it immediately.

It's kinda hard to bad mouth someone if you never gave them a chance to make it right.

uj

dolomite_supafly
11-14-2010, 08:21 AM
If you have had two seperate stocks do the same thing it may not be the stocks. I would look closely at your action before "fixing" any more stocks. And now that you have fixed the B&C they will not take it back if it is indeed their stock.

Dolomite

McKinneyMike
11-14-2010, 09:33 AM
It's kinda hard to bad mouth someone if you never gave them a chance to make it right.

uj

Amen! I used to own my own business and I am amazed that people would prefer to ***** in a forum about something rather than contact the business first to see what could be done to make the situation right. I am still amazed that people will go to any lengths to moan even if it cost them money :) Oh well as my Dad always said "Some people would ***** if you hung them with a new rope."

Blue Avenger
11-14-2010, 10:54 AM
Oh well as my Dad always said "Some people would ***** if you hung them with a new rope."

Haven't heard that in Years. First boss I had used to say it a lot!

McKinneyMike
11-14-2010, 10:56 AM
Oh well as my Dad always said "Some people would ***** if you hung them with a new rope."

Haven't heard that in Years. First boss I had used to say it a lot!

LOL!!! I guess my father burned it into my brain over the years :)

jb177
11-14-2010, 11:06 AM
Wow...thanks for the warm welcome. :(

One the Duramaxx, I sent it back two times and still didn't work. Tried 3 different barreled actions and same result. BTW, it's a known issue with the duramaxx, just do a little search and you'll see. This isn't my first go-around.

I did not call BC on the Medalist yet, but I'm not playing the shipping game again. Tried two actions in it and same result, move actions to tupperware stock, works like a champ. Pay $225 for a stock and the barrel is off center 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch is not good

Maybe I just have bad luck, looks like I'm the only one with a problem...

McKinneyMike
11-14-2010, 11:38 AM
Well it would have helped to "know that" :) We were just going off what you told us and that was not much to throw a fit about. Clarity helps to make sure that people know what they are being told is the whole story.

jb177
11-14-2010, 12:53 PM
I concede I should have been clearer. So now that we are in the same page, any suggestions? I tried a standard stainless action with factory recoil lug. It still pointed right but not as bad as the stevens action with SSS recoil lug. I have another action I've yet to try but at this point it prb doesn't matter.

Seems like I can't win for losing lately.

pdog06
11-14-2010, 01:26 PM
I just ordered a Duramax and it has the same issue. To me it looks as if the the action sits in it straight but the forearm is molded off center or something, not to mention the rear tang not even being close to free-floated. Since this is my second one and I like the stock enough to change it, I am hopeful that opening up the channel some more and bedding the entire action and lug will straighten it out..

I have also JUST gotten a new centerfeed Medalist and the barrel sat just slightly to the right, but not much. My problem was I was stuffing a 1" barrel into it so it hit anyway, so I just had to take a 1" dowel with 60grit paper on it and open it up a bit till it fit. I also made it deeper so it was more floated. Had to free float the tang on this one also.

This is strange cause I have had 5 or 6 of the Medalist stocks over time and ALL the rest were perfect fits. Dont know whats goin on with the Duramax though, but they have had alot of complaint about the fitting of them, which is a shame cause it is a really nice stock for the price.

jb177
11-14-2010, 04:31 PM
I hear you on the Duramaxx, I like the feel and look of mine, just none of them had a good fit.

I was hoping the Medalist was a better drop-in fit. Maybe they normally are, but I guess I got one of the not-so-good ones. I could open up the barrel channel to keep it from hitting, but can't get past the fact the barrel is not centered. I wonder if the oversized recoil lug is magnifying a fitment issue.

I haven't even checked the tang yet. Haven't gotten that far, but thanks for the reminder. I was hoping for a drop-in fit that didn't require bedding.

Rick_W
11-15-2010, 12:50 AM
Out of curiosity - are these problems with stocks for the new center-feed action or older stagger-feed actions?

jb177
11-15-2010, 09:14 AM
These stocks are for the staggered feed actions.

Has anybody else had fitment issues with the medalist? Or am I the unlucky one?

hotbrass
11-15-2010, 10:18 AM
Molded stocks will shrink when cooling. If they are not kept in the mold long enough they will cool unevenly and during the process will take a set in one or more directions. Once the stock has cooled it cannot be set back into alignment. So the only alternative is to remove some of the stock to keep the barrel free floating.

Better manufacturing practices will make better stocks. And most of the stocks are left in the mold for a sufficeint amount of time to cool properly. But some manufacturers/workers are better than others about maintaining quality and consistency. Thus the odd stock(s).

jb177
11-15-2010, 03:08 PM
Took it to the smith today and he said to send it back. Too far out of line to do anything about it.

Called BC and they said to send it back but they don't cover shipping on returned stocks. That didn't sit well with me. I feel they should cover the shipping on a faulty product. Oh well, live and learn.

They also said it would be 8 weeks for a replacement. Maybe it will all work out in the long run.

guhunter
11-15-2010, 10:34 PM
Called BC and they said to send it back but they don't cover shipping on returned stocks. That didn't sit well with me. I feel they should cover the shipping on a faulty product. Oh well, live and learn.

I agree, but Savage has the same policy on returning firearms to the factory. Surprised me a bit.

FatherOfGnute
11-24-2010, 12:34 PM
I've had a couple Duramaxx stocks and both appeared to be off axis with regard to the barrel channel.

B&C's response was to open up the channel with sand paper. I tried this, but it just seem that the more I sanded the more the barrel "wandered"

I finally got to looking closer at the inletting and found that the root cause was that the tang was really digging into the stock. 15 minutes with the dremel, and I was able to set the action straight as you please.

I ended up bedding these in devcon - which btw, I now think is a must do for these stocks! YMMV on tang inletting, but it might be an easy fix to your problems.