PDA

View Full Version : Redfield customer service?

big honkin jeep
12-11-2020, 05:41 PM
Anybody have experience with Redfield customer service? (under Leupold umbrella)
I picked up a Redfield "Battlezone" a couple of years ago for a killer clearance price and it had been just sitting on the shelf.
I'm thinking it was maybe a floor model because I'm having problems straight out of the box.
I put together a model 11 .308 hunting rig and mounted it up. Just plain couldn't get it to zero. Point of impact was all over the place no matter what input I made with the turrets. guessing maybe something in the erector.
It was properly installed and torqued and I've been through the checklist all the likely causes so I pulled the ring tops and dropped in a known well used spare 3-9X zeroed and confirmed in 5 shots.
So this ones gotta go in for warranty service. I've never had to send a scope in for service before.
Pretty sure this models been discontinued and I'm not sure what to expect.

celltech
12-11-2020, 06:23 PM
With any luck Leupold will just give you a new scope to replace it.

Robinhood
12-11-2020, 08:21 PM
I picked up a Redfield "Battlezone" a couple of years ago for a killer clearance price

I'm having problems straight out of the box.

"Come on man"

I hope this turns out ok for you BHJ, but this to me is the recipe and the expected result. After about 3 of the exact same experience I gave up on that formula. All of the decent stuff that was inexpensive had their name taken and used to sell high profit low end optics. Optics that are durable are not cheap.

I know...not what you asked.

big honkin jeep
12-11-2020, 09:26 PM
"Come on man"

I hope this turns out ok for you BHJ, but this to me is the recipe and the expected result. After about 3 of the exact same experience I gave up on that formula. All of the decent stuff that was inexpensive had their name taken and used to sell high profit low end optics. Optics that are durable are not cheap.

I know...not what you asked.

I get it. Clearance prices when they're cheap enough sometimes loosen the purse strings of old miserly curmudgeons. This scope did have good reviews and there's even one on this site from when they came out. That and The warranty I figured I'd give it a go.
To be fair if it indeed was a demo/ floor model from THE big box sporting goods store, there's no telling how many yahoos, their kids, and drunk neighbors spun the turrets or how far past "stop".
I talked with someone at Leupold today before shipping it off so my hopes are pretty high. I've heard about their warranty for decades and just never had to use it on any of their products until now. Just wondering If anyone else has had experience with the warranty department.

yobuck
12-12-2020, 10:30 AM
I get it. Clearance prices when they're cheap enough sometimes loosen the purse strings of old miserly curmudgeons. This scope did have good reviews and there's even one on this site from when they came out. That and The warranty I figured I'd give it a go.
To be fair if it indeed was a demo/ floor model from THE big box sporting goods store, there's no telling how many yahoos, their kids, and drunk neighbors spun the turrets or how far past "stop".
I talked with someone at Leupold today before shipping it off so my hopes are pretty high. I've heard about their warranty for decades and just never had to use it on any of their products until now. Just wondering If anyone else has had experience with the warranty department.
I have, i sent a VX3 3.5x10 that i bought used to them a couple years ago for a simple reticle change. I hadnt used the scope after buying it as yet.
Anyway they found an issue with it and sent me a new scope.
I would expect they will treat you as well.

airfoil
01-05-2021, 05:21 PM
I sent a 'revolution' back to them, it took a few weeks, but was returned and repaired at no charge. Cost me postage to them. Lifetime means something to Leupold.

Txhillbilly
01-05-2021, 10:37 PM
This scope did have good reviews and there's even one on this site from when they came out. That and The warranty I figured I'd give it a go.

BHJ, Please don't take this personal.

I've always found it funny that a lot of cheaper scopes get rave reviews, but then the people that are giving most of those reviews have never owned or used a high quality scope. If they had, they'd never bought another cheap scope!

big honkin jeep
01-05-2021, 11:32 PM
BHJ, Please don't take this personal.

I've always found it funny that a lot of cheaper scopes get rave reviews, but then the people that are giving most of those reviews have never owned or used a high quality scope. If they had, they'd never bought another cheap scope!

LOL Nothing personal about it LOL.
I have a few nice ones on rifles, a couple of well used low end/intermediates that hold zero well I keep on the shelf for testing builds, loaners, etc., and a boot box full of junkers.
Doesn't everybody? LOL
This was a clearance deal too good to pass up with a lifetime "Redfield/Leupold" warranty to boot. I've never needed a warranty on any Redfield or Leupold products before.
I was just wondering what to expect from their customer service.
So far so good, When I talked to them on the phone they said don't worry about the rattlecan camo I put on it, and since it had been discontinued that if they cant repair it they may have to replace it with an equal to of better similar product if that was okay.

I sent it in last month right after posting this and got an email back saying "We have received your product and estimate warranty service to be completed in approximately 5 weeks from the date your product arrived."
I'm guessing probably near the end of this month with the holidays and all.
So far very good communication.
We'll see how it works out and I'll be sure and update this post.

big honkin jeep
04-17-2021, 03:36 PM
So It finally got here.
Today I received a Leupold Mark 3 The replacement for the broken Redfield Battlezone 3-9x42 that I sent in to Leupold under warranty finally arrived today.
They replaced it with a Mark 3HD 3-9x40 that has P5 mil radian turrets and a mil dot reticle.
The elevation is uncapped with nice clicks and zero stop. The windage is capped and feels a bit mushy and stiff. Definitely not the same adjustment feel as the elevation.
It also has a mil dot reticle which is kind of unfamiliar to me and I'll have to learn to use it after preferring ballistic plex trajectory matching reticles for decades.
It has a 30MM tube so I'll have to get some new rings as I don't have any 30mms that aren't in use.
Not sure if it'll be as fast and intuitive as a ballistic plex but we'll see.
Glass is clear with good definition and detail and plenty of eye relief. I think once I get it set up and learn to use it I'm gonna like it okay.

Overall took about 4 months from the time they received the broken one to replace it but this is the latest Leupold model from the beginning of production from this lineup of scopes. https://forum.gon.com/attachments/leupold-mark-3hd-jpg.1077173/

HD 3-9x40 with the P5 turret 30mm tube and mil dot reticle

celltech
04-17-2021, 05:44 PM
Damn...I hope my Redfield breaks!!! Pretty good swap you got there...

Txhillbilly
04-17-2021, 11:36 PM
Damn...I hope my Redfield breaks!!! Pretty good swap you got there...

I bet you don't. Academy Sports just bought Redfield optics from Leupold. I doubt Leupold will honor a warranty on them, and I'd bet that Academy will replace it with a Chinese made scope since that's surely where they will be made from now on.

yobuck
04-18-2021, 08:46 AM
Apparently they have taken to replacing them as opposed to repairing them.
Not sure id be wanting some of my older ones replaced with newer models.

big honkin jeep
04-18-2021, 08:48 AM
I bet you don't. Academy Sports just bought Redfield optics from Leupold. I doubt Leupold will honor a warranty on them, and I'd bet that Academy will replace it with a Chinese made scope since that's surely where they will be made from now on.

Wow, Looks like I may have gotten in just under the wire.

Mr.Snerdly
04-18-2021, 05:37 PM
I don't know much about Academy but I am sorry to hear Redfield got bought. I have a couple Redfield Revolutions and they are nice scopes for the money, no problems so far.

Robinhood
04-19-2021, 10:59 AM
I don't know much about Academy but I am sorry to hear Redfield got bought. I have a couple Redfield Revolutions and they are nice scopes for the money, no problems so far.

20 years ago Academy was a staple here in Texas. They were purchased by an Califfornia company that specializes in Chinese products.

efm77
04-20-2021, 08:45 AM

I got it straight from Leupold that if it is a Redfield that they made, they will honor the warranty. Of course they're not going to if it's one that they didn't produce. But if he has one that Leupold made I wouldn't worry about it as I'd send it to Leupold, not Academy. If he has a Leupold made one, it's irrelevant who owns them now as far as he's concerned if he has a problem. Now I'd be very skeptical of buying a new one made after the sale of the brand.

wbm
04-20-2021, 09:40 AM
I got it straight from Leupold that if it is a Redfield that they made, they will honor the warranty.

Me too.

Downwindtracker2
04-21-2021, 10:58 PM
With company ownership changing, you have to keep reading Optics. Otherwise you could end up with an either an orphan or a questionable import.