PDA

View Full Version : Threading Lightweight Storm for linear comp

medezyner
12-10-2020, 11:13 AM
As I said in my Savage newbie intro, I have a Lightweight Storm on its way. My 110 Tactical was not built for deep-woods deer hunting, so I decided a lightweight bolt project over the Winter will (hopefully) keep me sane until the weather warms for outdoor range time. Since I don’t have unlimited funds, the Lightweight Storm fit my budget and criteria. At the top of the list was a weight/cost value, good enough minute-of-deer accuracy and the durability to take a quick dunk in a stream when its snowing (others rifles and myself have not fared so well). The Lightweight Storm was a top contender with a few others close behind, but since I had a good experience with the Tactical, out came the plastic for the LW Storm.
I’m seriously thinking about having it it shortened down to 16 or 16.5 inches, crown and thread. I’d install a linear comp to mitigate (redirect) the .308 concussive blast. So my net barrel length will be 18” and I’ll end up with a handier rifle length. I’ve shot an 18” lever and really like the shorter barrels for bush-wacking. The linear comp will be an improvement over just cutting the barrel to 18”. I’ll also get a slight weight reduction.
Question:
Since this is a 20” contoured barrel, will I have enough barrel thickness (at the 16” mark) to thread 5/8-24? A little research tells me that since its for a brake/compensator the wall thickness doesn’t need to be as thick as what would be needed for a suppresser - no undercut is needed.
This may be reaching, but has anyone done this to a contour hunter barrel? A few on this forum inquired with a similar question, but for a Stevens 200. All input welcome. Thanks!

Robinhood
12-10-2020, 06:12 PM
Medezyner,
Your 5/8- 24 thread needs a diameter of at least 5/8"(.625"). In addition to the .625" it also needs enough of a shoulder for the break to but up against. Since you did not state the diameter of the barrel at 16.5", you will have to determine if it has enough diameter for the brake. A good.....average smith actually, can make it happen.