PDA

View Full Version : I知 thinking of building a rifle what you you do?

shmelton
12-08-2020, 08:46 PM
So I have the following rifles and I知 thinking of changing one of them to a different caliber.

1. Savage 110 long action (yes I知 sure, one of the 1st models) in 243. The barrel needs to be reblued or cerekoted, but receiver is great and I just refinish the stock.

2. Savage Axis 2 Heavy Barrel camo in 6.5cr that I just bought. I知 not to fond of the heavy barrel...but never had one so I may just not be used to it.

3. A model 70 Winchester in 30-06. This one I will keep like for sentimental reasons.

4. A savage 110 in 7rem mag. It痴 in a hogue overmold, and has ZEISS glass on top. I absolutely love this gun so not sure if I want to re barrel.

Out of all 4 calibers out there I seem to cover the spectrum 7mag and smaller. I hunt whitetail mostly, I take most of my shots at 400 or less if I知 not up close and personal with my bow. I shoot yotes some. I hunt out west for big game once a yr.

Looking at what I have from a hunt perspective would you re barrel any of the savages, or would you keep them the same? Is there a caliber that would fill any gaps? Do I have any overlap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hamiltonkiler
12-08-2020, 10:07 PM
Like build a gun with new parts or do you want to re barrel?

I love a .223 in a bolt gun.

Sounds like you have real deer caliber痴.

The .223 is perfect for me.

Ammo price point
I can hit MOA plates out to 700 pretty easy
Recoil
Barrel life
Ammo availability
Reloading expense

Stumpkiller
12-08-2020, 10:08 PM
If you want a little more out of the .243 and you reload you might want to consider a .260 Rem. You can even neck resize/expand the brass and not need further work.

It's snotty as a 'yote rifle in the smaller bullet weights and edges the 6.5mm Creedmoor slightly in the heavier ones (if the magazine & throat can accommodate the longer OAL - and you've got the long action).

If you don't reload I wouldn't recommend the .260 Rem, however. I shoot 130 gr in mine for all-around up to whitetail and that's hard to find in loaded ammo. Thought right now ANY ammo is hard to find.

DQL5150
12-08-2020, 10:10 PM
Sounds like you have your bases covered for the hunting you do. A sentimental 30-06 for big game east and west with two (6.5 and 7mag) viable backups, .243 or 6.5 for the yotes. Just looking for something new? I'd choose between changing #1 and #2 since I'd consider them similar in purpose. That's just me given the choices. Good Luck shmelton!

shmelton
12-08-2020, 10:23 PM
Sounds like you have your bases covered for the hunting you do. A sentimental 30-06 for big game east and west with two (6.5 and 7mag) viable backups, .243 or 6.5 for the yotes. Just looking for something new? I'd choose between changing #1 and #2 since I'd consider them similar in purpose. That's just me given the choices. Good Luck shmelton!

I was thinking of rebarreling 1 or 2. I don稚 want a 223, have an AR15. I love the 243, but I知 not sure about the 6.5. I guess I just can稚 leave well enough alone. I may change the 6.5 to 7mm-08. How hard would the rebarrel be if I did that?

Burr
12-09-2020, 12:40 AM
You've got the middle covered pretty well, and there is certainly nothing wrong with having the middle covered well, or even adding to them. When I was in your situation I found myself wanting to fill into the ends. 22-250 will overlap for yotes, and could add some longer range dog town days. On the other end, 338 Win or a 35 Whelan are interesting, as well as a 300 Win Mag. If you're gong to have a barrel made, it's tempting to get something not as standard as the options are that are currently available new or used. It costs the same to chamber an aftermarket barrel to 35 Whelan as it does for 30.06. For that matter, you could even look at getting another 7 mag, with a different twist to shoot different bullet weights.

charlie b
12-09-2020, 10:03 AM
Caliber wise you have covered just about every game out there. I'd leave the .30-06 and 7mm alone from what you said. Those two cover big game from white tail to elk and bear.

The other two depends on which shoots better. I'd keep as is which ever one shoots best. They are both good light recoil deer cartridges.

What should the new gun be? You have plenty of overlap for what you do so the sky is the limit. Maybe you need a short barrel brush gun? Or dedicated long range varmint? Or a big bore?

Sorry lot of this is above.