PDA

View Full Version : Prettiest 110 I've ever seen

Newtosavage
12-07-2020, 11:20 PM
I started a thread a week or so ago, hoping someone could help me date this rifle. Found it at a classic gun store in Houston, and the minute I picked it up, it called my name. I knew these old original model 110's existed, but I had never laid eyes on one, much less held one. My first reaction was man this thing is light and well balanced! The deep bluing and dark walnut stock, aged with so much character... well I had to own it. And the price was right, so it came home with me.

With the help of Phil and a few others, I figured out this is a 1960 110mc (Monte Carlo). I sold the Weatherby scope that was on it, and went on the hunt for an appropriate scope for the rifle. Lo and behold, I found a mint steel tube Weaver K4-1 and the blued Weaver rings, just like in the original Savage ad!

The rifle was in good shape, but you could tell it was also well used (which I liked). It just oozes character. I set about cleaning it up and going to work on the bits and pieces that I knew would annoy me if I didn't address them. Trigger job... Front action screw that was too long and rubbed the bolt lug if it was tightened too much, and an action/barrel that wasn't that well aligned in the stock.

Yesterday, I couldn't stand it anymore so I fabricated some metal pillars and epoxy bedded the action to the stock. This morning I popped it out (thank goodness it came out!) and this afternoon I went about the final fit and finishing. Now everything works as smooth as silk, and the action is perfectly squared in the stock and tightly bedded. The barrel is free-floated perfectly as well.

Initial trips to the range told me this gun would shoot. Even with stock contact and no bedding job, I could get 1.5" groups without much trouble. After installing the pillars, bedding the action and filing the front action screw so it no longer interfered with the bolt lug, I could finally tighten the action screws to the proper torque. When I did that, I realized the barrel was intended to be free floated. I double-checked the 1960 ad, and sure enough, Savage advertised the barrel as free floating, even then. With a round socket and some sandpaper, I cleaned up the barrel channel and reassembled everything after a final function check. I torqued the action screws down and voila! This puppy is ready to go. Exactly 7 1/2 lbs. scoped and points like a dream. Perfect.

I haven't been this excited about a rifle in years. Decades really. These old Chicopee Falls Savages are just so sweet!

76207621762276237624762576267627762876297630763176 32

Newtosavage
12-08-2020, 12:51 AM
Pics of the pillar bedding job from last night. After I cleaned it up, it fits snug as a bug. Pillars give me a good solid "set" when torqueing the action screws.

Robinhood
12-08-2020, 07:31 AM
Nice one NTS.

GaCop
12-08-2020, 08:36 AM
Nice work, Bravo!:thumb::thumb:

PhilC
12-08-2020, 09:43 AM
Let's make it 3 - :thumb::thumb::thumb:

jpdown
12-08-2020, 11:02 AM
Very nice.

Newtosavage
12-08-2020, 11:31 AM
Any guesses whether that brown bedding compound on the recoil lug/slot was factory original? It looks like it may have been. Like a factory skim bedding job or something?

PhilC
12-09-2020, 09:53 AM
Pulled mine down yesterday and didn't find any bedding compound. I'll post pics later today.

Newtosavage
12-09-2020, 12:15 PM
Pulled mine down yesterday and didn't find any bedding compound. I'll post pics later today.

Thanks. I suspect it was someone's home-brew "skim" bedding of the recoil lug, but that's just a guess.

PhilC
12-09-2020, 08:20 PM
Here are some pics of mine....

https://i.ibb.co/NC2Z1Np/luginset.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/cyqChYz/tang.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/rsRdvnv/recoillug.jpg

Surprised at how clean it was.

Newtosavage
12-09-2020, 11:42 PM
Phil, that's interesting. It does look like your stock has the same coating though - just not as thick as on mine. I'm gonna say that was a factory stock sealer or something.