PDA

View Full Version : Savage axis bolt

Half-Cocked
12-07-2020, 09:09 PM
I have had 2 ftf from 2 different boxes of ammo with different manufacturers.

I tried to take apart my bolt but could not get the allen bolt off. I noticed at the other end of the bolt the steel just under the end now spins around. Is this normal? I'll try to post a pic that shows my thumb on it.

celltech
12-08-2020, 07:34 AM
The allen bolt is put on by factory gorillas...here is how to remove it: https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?266-How-To-Remove-A-Stuck-BAS-and-Disassemble-Bolt

And as for the spinning thing I assume you are talking about the bolt baffle...completely normal. In higher end models the baffle has a fin that indexes a receiver notch and must be in the correct position. In the Axis it does not matter which way its flipped.

Half-Cocked
12-08-2020, 11:17 AM
The allen bolt is put on by factory gorillas...here is how to remove it: https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?266-How-To-Remove-A-Stuck-BAS-and-Disassemble-Bolt

And as for the spinning thing I assume you are talking about the bolt baffle...completely normal. In higher end models the baffle has a fin that indexes a receiver notch and must be in the correct position. In the Axis it does not matter which way its flipped.

Thanks! I couldn't remember if that part spins. Good to know I don't have to worry about which way is up on that piece. Overall it's a decent rifle I have mine in 30.06

Robinhood
12-08-2020, 05:49 PM
Welcome back celltech. It is good to see you posting and helping others again!

celltech
12-08-2020, 06:51 PM
Welcome back celltech. It is good to see you posting and helping others again!

Haha...hopefully I won't have to post bail again.

mnbogboy2
12-08-2020, 09:45 PM
Why was i under the impression that the front baffle was used to control the stop for long or short cartridges by just spinning it to the opposite side?

celltech
12-09-2020, 09:19 AM
Why was i under the impression that the front baffle was used to control the stop for long or short cartridges by just spinning it to the opposite side?

I think you are right on that one. I have never owned a long action caliber in an Axis so it never made a difference. But in a short action cartridge it really makes no difference which side it's on...although I do have my .243 Axis with the long side to the ejection port. On my .223 Axis I took a 10 series baffle, with the really long leg, and ground down the fin and baffle length to make a "custom" one that took all of the extra travel out.