PDA

View Full Version : C.O.A.L

DIESEL TECH
11-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Guy a quick question I am reloading for my Savage 12F/TR in .308 and I was reading the topic about finding the ''OAL'' and the way I did it was cleaned and deprimed a fired case. The first thing I did was re-sized the brass and took my dermal tool and split the case mouth so the bullet was snug in the case. Then the next thing was to load it in the gun push the bolt closed and check the OAL with my mic 3 times it was the same with 168 MK. I did the same thing with 168 bergers VLD but the OAL was a lot differant the the sierra. I think I the way I check the OAL was the right way you guys told me. My question is all of my reloading manual tell me that the COAL MAX is 2.800 and it is real close to that with 168MK but it is a lot differant with the Berger's 168VLD it is close to 2.900 will this matter with a bolt gun without a mag?? Thanks for all the help you guys have done for a new handloader.. This is the best forum on the web for experts..

Blue Avenger
11-13-2010, 01:13 PM
the shape of the bullet is giving you the different lengths. you would still be where the bullet touches the rifling. check a few bullets to see that they agree. you can get some variance if the quality control is poor

Blue Avenger
11-13-2010, 01:23 PM
they make this tool that uses specific dia inserts to match the bore, to help measure more consistency

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=231904

you do not have to have one, just showing you

DIESEL TECH
11-13-2010, 07:28 PM
Yes that is what I am using after I find where the bullet touches the lands..

GaCop
11-14-2010, 09:10 AM
Once you start measuring OAL with your guage setup, what the loading manuals say goes out the window. Go by what your guage tells you is the max to the lands.

DIESEL TECH
11-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys for the help. I am off to the range to do some test today..