PDA

View Full Version : Barrel size on Savage centerfire rifles

Duckhunter39480
12-06-2020, 11:57 PM
I am to put together a wildcat based on the Savage 308 rifle. I haven't decided on the exact model yet but it will be a 30 caliber when it is completed. My question concerns the diameter of the Savage barrels near the barrel nut. I will need to cut about 1/2" off the threaded section and rechamber to another cartridge. I want to know if the diameter of the barrel after I shorten it will allow rethreading and still fill the barrel nut. Can someone tell me how quickly the barrel taper begins? Thank you for any info on this

hamiltonkiler
12-07-2020, 08:44 AM
I am to put together a wildcat based on the Savage 308 rifle. I haven't decided on the exact model yet but it will be a 30 caliber when it is completed. My question concerns the diameter of the Savage barrels near the barrel nut. I will need to cut about 1/2" off the threaded section and rechamber to another cartridge. I want to know if the diameter of the barrel after I shorten it will allow rethreading and still fill the barrel nut. Can someone tell me how quickly the barrel taper begins? Thank you for any info on this

Not sure.
I think a .920 barrel is the same from front to back.
On the other hand.. start with a barrel with a smaller cartridge and don’t worry about cutting it. Just ream it out like it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sharpshooter
12-07-2020, 11:22 AM
The taper starts right at the breech face, usually ends up at about 1.035" dia. at the end of the threads.