PDA

View Full Version : 6.5 Creedmore ammo

Pages : 1 [2]

Fuj'
01-23-2021, 12:49 PM
Things have changed a bit since the the original post date..........

Not only can't you find ammo at a decent price anymore, mostly just available on the second hand market, all the goodies to make your own are also gone or close to gone nationwide. I just did a search today for the following and checked dozens of websites beyond the ones I usually buy from.

NOTHING in stock with multiple month estimated arrival times for 6.5 Creedmoor as far as:

NO Bullets in the 139-147 gr range other than a few A-Tip Hornady
NO Brass, not even once fired
NO Dies other than the $150+ benchrest sets and even those are about gone
NO Primers
NO Powder

I was thinking about maybe taking up F-Class or something like that this spring, but without the ability to have a steady supply of ammo for practice and matches, there isn't much point. To keep the competitive events running, I wonder if the various venues that are high round count events might have to see a reduction in the number of shots fired per match. This isn't going away any time soon.

Add tumbling media to your list !!! Besides our LGS's, I walked in to
the Sportsmen's near me for just that. Shelves were bare of just about
everything. All kinds of tumblers and vibrators from all the brands. No
good without the media.....And the sales person looks at me stupid ??
Checked our local "Horror Freight".....No cob or walnut in stock. While
I put in a short order At Mid South Shooters Supply, even they had no
media of any type in stock. May have to hit up the Feed Mill for a bag
of cracked corn.

geezerhood
01-23-2021, 01:09 PM
For tumbling media, did you try Cal Ranch / IFA / Petco etc. ? I haven't looked there recently....but they often have suitable stuff.

charlie b
01-23-2021, 03:08 PM
Until the surge dies down this is the way it will be. Takes a while for 7million new gun owners to stock up with ammo :) And the rest of us are probably stocking up as much as we need as well anticipating issues in the near future. I believe many people who never thought of having a stockpile of ammo are now building up significant volumes as they can.

And remember that this is a hobby for most of us. We have enough stocked for most circumstances, but, to be able to enjoy our hobby we want more. Just not a big deal in the long run.

RCoulter52
01-31-2021, 12:27 AM
I guess I am one of the fortunate ones. I have been reloading since the year I was married..... 1974. I started out loading for 357 Magnum and 30-'06.

fast forward to 1982, we made the reverse 'Grapes of Wrath' trek back to Oklahoma. I joined up with a long time friend (my best man at my wedding) and became a licensed firearms dealer. Started casting our own SWC and re-manufacturing 38 Special target loads for local sale (couldn't keep up with the demand). Bought a Dillon RL1000B and went to town! Picked up deals on dies, bullets, primers, brass and powder at gun shows (back when they were fun).

Long story a little shorter, I have a pretty good stock of powder, primer and bullets plus a few rounds of factory ammo. So, for me, yes, re-loading is a money saver! All of my equipment paid for itself a long time ago. The only thing I have had to purchase recently, was a set of 350 Legend dies, which my local re-loading shop had in stock. Has he got everything I need? No, but it's better than a lot of places around here.

I was looking for some Lil' Gun for the Legend, Jim was out. Went to another shop and they had three pounds on the shelf for $31.00 a pound. I traded 200 rounds of 30-'06 brass for 2 pounds. Bartering is still alive!

Can I find primers? Nope! But, I am not hurting yet. Can I find bullets for my 5.56, 308s and 350? Nope, but I can cast them. I've got plenty of lead already processed and stored in 30 caliber ammo cans. I hope it gets better soon, but I don't look for it too. Until then, I keep checking everyday locally to see what comes in. By the way, for primers? Check in at Academy everyday, if you can. They don't know when they will get them and they are limiting them to 300 per customer (at least here), but hey! Take what you can get!

Randie

*EDIT* For what it's worth, I have a brand new box of Hornady 6.5mm, 140 grain SST bullets I would be willing to part with.

RCoulter52
02-05-2021, 10:51 AM
Bingo! Patience pays off! I just ordered 100 Hornady 165 grain XTP bullets for my 350 Legend! :biggrin-new:

Randie
Fort Smith, AR