PDA

View Full Version : single stage press

Pages : [1] 2

savman12
11-26-2020, 01:19 PM
What would you guys recommend? Lee Classic Cast or Redding Big Boss 2?

lonestardiver
11-26-2020, 01:23 PM
As a starter either one. You will always have use for a single stage press. Also consider the RCBS Rock Chucker. The Redding you list will probably have better cam leverage for bottleneck rifle cartridges. Pistol cartridges are fine on any of them.

Bill2905
11-26-2020, 01:53 PM
I just purchased a new Redding Big Boss 2 this week. Haven't used it yet as I'm waiting to receive a Inline Fabrication mount for it. I liked the spent primer catching feature and the overall beefiness of the press. My second/third choices in no particular order would have been the RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme or the RCBS Rebel.

The Lee is also a very solid press with a long history and is much easier on the wallet.

There was a lengthy and spirited thread about the merits of Lee vs. RCBS vs. Redding etc. etc. presses a few weeks back.

https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?67792-Beginner-seeking-advice-on-a-first-press

Ted_Feasel
11-26-2020, 01:53 PM
Forster coax is hands down the best single stage imo.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Bill2905
11-26-2020, 01:59 PM
Oh no, here we go again... :cool:

Ted_Feasel
11-26-2020, 02:07 PM
Oh no, here we go again... :cool:Lol.. I did say "imo"^^^

charlie b
11-26-2020, 03:36 PM
Well, I agree, but, I own a Lee, not a Forster. Haven't been willing to pay the price yet :)

Ted_Feasel
11-26-2020, 04:06 PM
Well, I agree, but, I own a Lee, not a Forster. Haven't been willing to pay the price yet :)Yeah I couldn't really afford the forster when I got it but I had already invested so much in other high precision equipment that I just bit the bull lol.. I do have a lee classic that I use a lee universal deprime die with and to do some handgun loads but mostly do handgun with hornady AP

savman12
11-26-2020, 04:07 PM
heheh. I started on a Challenger and upgraded to the classic cast. The Challenger worked good, but struggled a little with 300 WM cases. I always wanted the green Redding. I'm sure there is no benefit going from the classic cast to big boss 2.

Robinhood
11-26-2020, 04:16 PM
Get the lee classic cast and buy inspection tool like a case headspace gauge. The Hornady LNL tool is versatile. A decent set of calipers. Maybe a Wilson case trimmer. Good de burring tools. A decent quality scale that measures to the degree of accuracy needed.

Get a good set of funnels, case trays and good case lube that doesn't cause dents. Tumblers are cool but it is not a first priority.

mikeinco
11-26-2020, 05:14 PM
lee....
go read the listed thread.

you have asked for help but no info on your plans.

What would you guys recommend? Lee Classic Cast or Redding Big Boss 2?

Ted_Feasel
11-26-2020, 07:00 PM
lee....
go read the listed thread.

you have asked for help but no info on your plans.If your going to spend the money on redding, you may as well get a forester , especially if precision is your goal.. if not go with the lee

mikeinco
11-26-2020, 08:00 PM
buy the lee

If your going to spend the money on redding, you may as well get a forester , especially if precision is your goal.. if not go with the lee

Nor Cal Mikie
11-27-2020, 10:54 AM
If you must, Redding or RCBS Rockchucker. Nuf said.
I wore out a couple of Lee presses doing a BUNCH of mil spec 5.56 and 7.62. Couldn't handle them.
Lee dies are crap IMHO, there has to be a better way to keep the primer punch from getting pushed out the top.
Better way?? Forster Precision Bushing Bump Dies. And NO I don't need a Co Ax. Not impressed at all.

Slowpoke Slim
11-27-2020, 11:23 AM
I'm still using my original Rock Chucker from 1975.

Still works just fine, loaded some varmint 243 ammo on it yesterday.

The original 'chucker has a short frame, so long cartridges are not possible on it (the later generation Rock Chuckers have taller frames), but I got an Ammomaster in 2000-ish that will work up to 50 bmg.

Both of these work fine, loaded 1000's on the Ammomaster and 10,000's on the Rock Chucker.

A good quality press will last several generations of handloaders. I plan on handing mine down to my grandchildren.

mikeinco
11-27-2020, 11:53 AM
i notice you did not say WHAT lee press you wore out.
they were not the classic steel that is for sure.

buy the lee
QUOTE=Nor Cal Mikie;482354]RCBS Rockchucker. Nuf said.
I wore out a couple of Lee presses doing a BUNCH of mil spec 5.56 and 7.62. Couldn't handle them.
Lee dies are crap IMHO, there has to be a better way to keep the primer punch from getting pushed out the top.
Better way?? Forster Precision Bushing Bump Dies. And NO I don't need a Co Ax. Not impressed at all.[/QUOTE]

savman12
11-27-2020, 12:16 PM
I've never wore out any press. The only presses that I've owned was a Challenger and Classic Cast. I sold the Challenger when I upgraded to the Classic. The challenger got the job done and made accurate ammo.

I typically just load 30-06, 300WM, and some lever actions for hunting / practice.

Just was curious if there is any benefit on upgrading from a Classic Cast to a Redding BB2.

PhilC
11-27-2020, 12:22 PM
Started with a Rockchucker 2 in mid-80s and have never looked back. Added a mint original RC a couple years ago because it was too good a deal to pass.

mikeinco
11-27-2020, 01:15 PM
the classic will do you well....look for sale prices TODAY.

but the other thread had a lot more "answers"....lol

I've never wore out any press. The only presses that I've owned was a Challenger and Classic Cast. I sold the Challenger when I upgraded to the Classic. The challenger got the job done and made accurate ammo.

I typically just load 30-06, 300WM, and some lever actions for hunting / practice.

Just was curious if there is any benefit on upgrading from a Classic Cast to a Redding BB2.

sharpshooter
11-27-2020, 05:51 PM
you guys are all wrong...you need a Savage straight 8 press.