PDA

View Full Version : single stage press

Pages : 1 [2]

Bill2905
11-27-2020, 06:07 PM
I've never wore out any press. The only presses that I've owned was a Challenger and Classic Cast. I sold the Challenger when I upgraded to the Classic. The challenger got the job done and made accurate ammo.

I typically just load 30-06, 300WM, and some lever actions for hunting / practice.

Just was curious if there is any benefit on upgrading from a Classic Cast to a Redding BB2.

When you put it that way, I probably would not upgrade if I already had the Lee. I didn't own a single stage press and I purchased the BB2 figuring it will be a lifetime investment.

Nor Cal Mikie
11-27-2020, 06:31 PM
"i notice you did not say WHAT lee press you wore out. They were not the classic steel that is for sure"
They were Red and said Lee on them so that was enough for me. Once bitten?? Too much better gear out there to get bit again.

mikeinco
11-27-2020, 06:56 PM
sorta like saying your chevette sucked so you will never buy a cadillac.
scope makers make multiple levels of quality...it does not mean they are all crap.
you might try doing RESEARCH BEFORE spending money

lets say your opinion in THIS case, lacks merit.

"i notice you did not say WHAT lee press you wore out. They were not the classic steel that is for sure"
They were Red and said Lee on them so that was enough for me. Once bitten?? Too much better gear out there to get bit again.

Robinhood
11-27-2020, 07:04 PM
you guys are all wrong...you need a Savage straight 8 press.

If I could find one that had been line bored and bushed in the same axis as the die threads I would love to have one. The only one I ever saw was about .005 loose on the ram.

Fuj'
11-27-2020, 07:27 PM
you guys are all wrong...you need a Savage straight 8 press.

And I'll raise you a "Potter" :cool:

I let an "8" slip thru my hands at a gun show. loose as a goose.
I would have liked to have done a total refit and restore with
all the wear parts getting hard chromed. When I made the second
trip thru the vender stalls, it was gone.

Stumpkiller
11-27-2020, 11:09 PM
I'm still using an RCBS Jr. I bought in the late 1970's. I mostly neck resize or bump, or do straight wall pistol cartridges, so I don't need tons and tons of leverage.

If I were to replace it I'd probably go with the Redding Big Boss 2. They're made about 45 miles from here.

Fuj'
11-28-2020, 09:41 AM
I'm still using an RCBS Jr. I bought in the late 1970's. I mostly neck resize or bump, or do straight wall pistol cartridges, so I don't need tons and tons of leverage.g Boss 2.

2 of my 3 Juniors are currently set up for wild cat case forming.
I use them for baby stepping the shoulders down. As one case
gets a push, it then goes to the next press for a little more. No
lubing a second time. My third junior is mounted sideways with the
hardened cut off die. Much better that way. Other then that, my
old original Rock Chucker does mainly all the full length sizing, and
the new Rock Chucker IV is mainly doing seating with the long pills.
Loving the cartridge clearance the IV is giving me.

Robinhood
11-28-2020, 02:52 PM
Gavintube just did a rear good video on this topic. The feedback was both predictable and surprising.

yobuck
11-28-2020, 04:46 PM
2 of my 3 Juniors are currently set up for wild cat case forming.
I use them for baby stepping the shoulders down. As one case
gets a push, it then goes to the next press for a little more. No
lubing a second time. My third junior is mounted sideways with the
hardened cut off die. Much better that way. Other then that, my
old original Rock Chucker does mainly all the full length sizing, and
the new Rock Chucker IV is mainly doing seating with the long pills.
Loving the cartridge clearance the IV is giving me.
Would it not pay to at least consider a good turret press setup for the sizing and seating, rather than all those individual presses.

savman12
11-29-2020, 02:53 PM
Get the lee classic cast and buy inspection tool like a case headspace gauge. The Hornady LNL tool is versatile. A decent set of calipers. Maybe a Wilson case trimmer. Good de burring tools. A decent quality scale that measures to the degree of accuracy needed.

Get a good set of funnels, case trays and good case lube that doesn't cause dents. Tumblers are cool but it is not a first priority.

I already have all of those tools.

I sold most of my stuff from my Lee Challenger kit since I upgraded everything. I have a Lee Classic Cast currently and was looking to upgrade it since it's easy to sell reloading tools these days. I always wanted the BB2, but I don't think it's any better than a Classic Cast. The Co-ax looks nice, I may go down that road.

longbarrel
12-17-2020, 11:01 PM
I bought a rockchucker II about 1985 and it still does everything I need. The ram and housing are still tight (I lube occasionally). I just bought a RCBS Rebel as a backup in case I ever have trouble with my RC2. I use some RCBS dies and like their competition seater the best by far. Redding stuff is very good, and I use a Forster trimmer. The only Lee thing I use and really like is the Auto Prime.

ninner
12-20-2020, 12:11 AM
Get a rockchucker IV supreme if your going to resize many cases or make 300 blkout out of 223.the mechanical advantage makes it effortless. I use a Lee turret press for pistol ammo though and a lyman to decap. I have a rockchucker jr. i never use and need to list.

rerun5
12-28-2020, 10:58 PM
I have two single stage presses. My first press from years ago is the Lee 50th Anniversary Challenger press that I still use for small batches of ammo. I have a Lee Classic Cast single stage press for my heavy lifting. Then I bought a Lee Classic Cast Turret Press earlier this year for my general reloading.

DQL5150
12-31-2020, 10:49 PM
I'm still using an RCBS Jr. I bought in the late 1970's.

Man after my own heart.

stanekjm
01-05-2021, 02:00 AM
Rockchucker is hard to beat. And it is a tank. I may or may not have let it fly out of the back of my truck while turning onto a freeway ramp in 2009. Guess what press I am still using?