PDA

View Full Version : 12 BTCSS 204 Ruger Throat

rmeyerwy
11-23-2020, 12:09 PM
I recently bought a used 12 BTCSS in 204 Ruger, love the gun and it shoots very well, but I been working on some reloads and when I go to measure the BTO using both a Hornady 32gr Vmax and a Nosler 32gr Flat Based Tipped, using the hornady bullet comparator setup, the bullet just barely and I mean barely sets in the case mouth.

So my question is, is the throat that worn out on this rifle ( which seems odd as it will shoot under .75 and I have had some under .5 groups at 100 ) or do these rifles just have a long throat?

I am currently using 1.952 BTO, that just seats the bottom of the bullet at the neck shoulder junction or pretty close and as I said they shoot pretty good, but curious to what others may have seen.

Thanks

lonestardiver
11-23-2020, 01:06 PM
Look for the Sierra 39gr bullets. They are a little longer and may ease your mind on the jump. They were very popular when available in factory ammo over the 40gr bullets as they stabilized better.

yobuck
11-23-2020, 03:35 PM
I guess my question would be, if the gun shoots well, what difference does it make as to where the bullet is with regard to the lands?
If you have a gun with a magazine you want to use, you will seat the bullets in such a way to allow for using it.
And surprisingly, quite often it dosent matter at all as for accuracy even though you might be a considerable distance from the lands.
The only option would be to set the barrel back and redo the chamber in order to get what you want.
Which might work for as long as it takes for the throat to wear again.

Bill2905
11-23-2020, 04:41 PM
If the 32 gr bullets are shooting well, I wouldn't worry about the bullet jump. If your bullet base is sitting at the neck shoulder junction, you can probably experiment and move it out a little longer. If you want a load that you can tweak and get closer to the lands, you will need to try a different bullet with a longer base to ogive measurement.