PDA

View Full Version : rechambering 3006 barrel to 300 Weatherby mag

ninner
11-22-2020, 10:34 PM
Forgot I asked this last year, must be getting old, SMH

I obtained 100 rounds of Weatherby Mag and don't gave anything to shoot it in, I have a couple Magnum 111's and a few extra 3006 barrels laying around so as I see it I have two options.
1. Sell the ammo for about $30 a box.
2. Buy a reamer from grizzly for $120 and have a new hunting option.

Has anyone here attempted this? Is there anything I need to consider?

Thanks in advance,
Ninner

ninner
11-22-2020, 10:46 PM
When I posted this new thread it showed my old thread with lots of comments I hadn't seen thanks to gbflyer (http://www.savageshooters.com/member.php?35571-gbflyer) for suggesting renting a reamer, I have a lathe so $38 rental charge is a no brainer.

After looking at the reamer choices k98 into 8mm RUM anyone?

longbarrel
12-12-2020, 01:20 PM
When I posted this new thread it showed my old thread with lots of comments I hadn't seen thanks to gbflyer (http://www.savageshooters.com/member.php?35571-gbflyer) for suggesting renting a reamer, I have a lathe so $38 rental charge is a no brainer.

After looking at the reamer choices k98 into 8mm RUM anyone?
If you are now talking about re-chambering a World War II Mauser 8x57, check the actual bore diameter. IIRC, they could run from .318" to .323". Of course, that affects not only bullet selection but throating reamer (or the throat portion of a combination finishing reamer) diameter.

ninner
12-12-2020, 01:36 PM
I was really just joking but it is very accurate with 323 hand loads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mnbogboy2
12-16-2020, 01:05 AM
Forgot I asked this last year, must be getting old, SMH

I obtained 100 rounds of Weatherby Mag and don't gave anything to shoot it in, I have a couple Magnum 111's and a few extra 3006 barrels laying around so as I see it I have two options.
1. Sell the ammo for about $30 a box.
2. Buy a reamer from grizzly for $120 and have a new hunting option.

Has anyone here attempted this? Is there anything I need to consider?

Thanks in advance,
Ninner

Before i rechamber another Savage or any barrel for that matter i look at it with a bore cam. The relationship of the "old" chamber to the bore will drive the result of the rechamber as the new reamer will follow the old chamber. If all the old chamber is removed with a boring bar that is indicated to the bore just ahead of the throat you will have a chance of getting it concentric.
Just a thought before a lot of work is put into a "sow's ear". It will never be a "silk purse". On the other hand if the original chamber was done right, the new chamber should follow.