PDA

View Full Version : A shocker !!!!!!!

mizmoose
11-17-2020, 09:06 AM
Just recd PTG go guage for my 338 win mag mod 116 FSK.....gun was mfg July 1994...in anticipation of my rebarreling to 6.5 PRC.....wanted to have 338 go to reset after I spin off orig bbl.....GLAD I did......after cleaning thoroughly bolt face and chamber and dbl cking to make sure NO debris...just for the heck of it...I ckd Headspace...now mind you this gun is orig and has had only a total of 45 total rounds shot thru it, one box of 20 factory rounds the rest my handloads....absolutely NO hot loads at all....if anything way under MAX loads.......bbl, and nut have never been touched fm day I got it as a present fm late wife brand new in the box......with the PTG go guage, bolt came abt 1/4 inch from closing all the way.....EEEKKKKKKK....ZERO indications that headspace was off......is an easy fix but woooooooooo....never figured that headspace rt fm factory would have been off....
Has anyone else had a similar problem w a factory orig gun?

ninner
11-17-2020, 09:28 AM
Did you pull the extractor and ejector from the bolt head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeinco
11-17-2020, 06:26 PM
you can leave the extractor,
1/4" is bolt handle movement ?????
you may be surprised how small that is in 0.001'S.
factory ammo is typically on the small size, just to ensure a fit
seems it worked

Robinhood
11-17-2020, 10:37 PM
you can leave the extractor,
1/4" is bolt handle movement ?????
you may be surprised how small that is in 0.001'S.
factory ammo is typically on the small size, just to ensure a fit
seem it worked
I agree with Mike. You have short headspace. The belted magnums are designed to be a tighter headspace. After the brass is fired in that chamber you size to the shoulder as the belt will never move. If bolt closes on factory and your hand loaded ammo you are good.

gbflyer
11-19-2020, 01:18 AM
I’ve found that the belted mag headspace go gauge is pretty roomy. I am not concerned if my bolt is 1/4 from closing on it. As long as it fully closes with new brass I am happy. Like said above, after the 1st pull of the trigger it headspaces on the shoulder. But by all means do it as you see fit.

stomp442
11-19-2020, 09:03 AM
The difference your seeing can also be slight difference in gauges as well. It's very possible that the rifle headspaced perfectly fine at the factory with the gauge savage used. Could be the one they were using was at minimum spec while yours may be at maximum spec. Both gauges are perfectly fine, but when compounded together may cause what you are seeing.