PDA

View Full Version : stripping a bolt to set headspace or case clearance

Pages : 1 [2]

charlie b
11-17-2020, 10:48 PM
that is 100% wrong
plain and simple.

No, it isn't. Headspace gauges are designed to be used to set and check headspace. To check you simply insert the GO gauge to make sure it goes in there and the NO-GO to make sure it doesn't. No stripping of bolt is needed, it works regardless of action type.

I'd still like to know why stripping a bolt is needed?

mikeinco
11-17-2020, 10:54 PM
so the guy bad mouthing me is fine,
me defending myself is a douchebag ??
love your double standards

Wow a douche bag on the internet, I’ve never seen that before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeinco
11-17-2020, 10:58 PM
sorry but you are wrong
I NEVER ATTACKED SHARPSHOOTER.
SOMEONE SAID I DID....DOES NOT MAKE IT SO.

I actually feel this is true. Telling people that have been working on savages for years with no problems that they are wrong is insulting and a fast way to loose credibility. Attacking sharpshooter is another way to loose credibility. He has taught a lot of people a lot of things if they are willing to listen....or should I say read.

mikeinco
11-17-2020, 11:03 PM
MAY I SUGGEST YOU CALL A REAL GUNSMITH OR A GO/NO GO GAUGE MAKER and ask them.
HEADSPACE ON REAL RIFLES IS NOT CHECKED WITH ASSEMBLED BOLT.
you strip it so you can FEEL what you are doing. the pressure from the ejector spring prevents you from this level of feel.

No, it isn't. Headspace gauges are designed to be used to set and check headspace. To check you simply insert the GO gauge to make sure it goes in there and the NO-GO to make sure it doesn't. No stripping of bolt is needed, it works regardless of action type.

I'd still like to know why stripping a bolt is needed?

gbflyer
11-18-2020, 12:48 AM
I suspect real gunsmiths do things a number of different ways. I certainly am not a real gunsmith but I do like the feel produced when the bolt is stripped. I was shown that years ago and it stuck. I prefer to be closer to the no go than the go for sporting applications as often times there are biting brown furries where I operate and I don’t want to chance not getting the bolt closed because of a grain of sand. If it’s for fun only then I enjoy the challenge of getting to the .001 headspace.

To the OP: I suspect you are much different in person than how you come across in the written word. We’d probably all have a pretty good day at the range together. You might think about lightening up, or maybe your just having fun yanking chains. Either way I’ll read your posts. [emoji16]

Three44s
11-18-2020, 01:28 AM
I have done it both ways, stripped and complete.

There is no doubt that stripped gives you a closer feel, but I have gotten very good results not stripped as well.

Three44s

Fuj'
11-18-2020, 08:26 AM
pull your head out and look at who i was talking to.
hill billy. CONTEXT might be a little tuff for you.

I'm thinking it's time you were banned.

charlie b
11-18-2020, 08:48 AM
MAY I SUGGEST YOU CALL A REAL GUNSMITH OR A GO/NO GO GAUGE MAKER and ask them.
HEADSPACE ON REAL RIFLES IS NOT CHECKED WITH ASSEMBLED BOLT.
you strip it so you can FEEL what you are doing. the pressure from the ejector spring prevents you from this level of feel.

I've known a few, as well as a master machinist turned gunsmith. When checking a customer's rifle or pistol they simply chamber the gauges.

I understand that you can 'feel' it better, but, that does not change how the gauges work.

yobuck
11-18-2020, 09:51 AM
I never buy a used gun that i dont take it to someone i trust to check the headspace.
And a few times they have taken a piece of brass and just feel the bolt close on it before handing the gun back to me.
Most of the things we do in life are learned, and we often learn there are different ways to accomplish the same thing.
Bottom line is most of us dont really care much about setting records, or how things get done so long as they do.
Those of us who can do certain things well, usually do, and it isnt long before others know it without our need to tell them.
There is lots of good information to be had on the internet on pretty much any subject, including guns and shooting.
And some very famous names willing to share it.

mikeinco
11-18-2020, 11:38 AM
i think that people that claim some action, when in fact the action did not occur, should be banned.

I'm thinking it's time you were banned.

olddav
11-18-2020, 06:39 PM
and everybody was a kungfu fighting....

ninner
11-18-2020, 07:57 PM
and everybody was a kungfu fighting....

Those hands were fast as lightning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

justpassinthru
11-19-2020, 02:07 AM
I've never stripped a Savage bolt to set the headspace.
I'm no gunsmith but if the bolt will easily close on the go gauge and not even begin to close even the slightest bit on the no go, I'm callin it good.