PDA

View Full Version : Cannelure Must be crimped?

RBT321
11-14-2020, 03:31 AM
Newbie question: I've bought a few Hornady bits and pieces recently and want to take advantage of the Get-Loaded rebate. The 6.5CM bullets on offer are the 129gr SP's (https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifle/6-5mm-264-129-gr-interlock-sp#!/) and I notice they have a cannelure. Does that mean they *must* be crimped? I don't have a crimp die, so are these bullets usable without or should I just not bother to get them?

Cheers,

Ross.

JW
11-14-2020, 06:25 AM
You do not have to crimp the bullets.

Jack

Fuj'
11-14-2020, 06:47 AM
As JW stated, you do not need to crimp. However there are some
cartridges I have been able to increase accurracy by using a light
crimp to increase a light neck tension.

Lee makes very affordable and nice crimping dies.

RBT321
11-14-2020, 09:59 PM
Thanks guys!

I'm only getting 200 of these (so far), and they will be mostly for plinking, so I probably won't invest in the crimping dies right now. Maybe if I get more down the road :)

Ross.

Slowpoke Slim
11-14-2020, 10:03 PM
Load and shoot them just like any other bullet (without a cannelure).

PhilC
11-15-2020, 11:06 AM
I ignore the cannelure unless it's for a tube fed magazine (30-30 for example). If you have a standard die set from any of the major producers, bet your seating die DOES have a roll crimp. ;)

mikeinco
11-15-2020, 12:59 PM
ar's may need a crimp
i had all the commerical ammo i sold(reman) crimped.
I ignore the cannelure unless it's for a tube fed magazine (30-30 for example). If you have a standard die set from any of the major producers, bet your seating die DOES have a roll crimp. ;)

RBT321
11-15-2020, 10:39 PM
I appreciate all the advice guys. I'm using these in a 12FV bolt action, so it sounds like I'll be safe without the crimp. I'm just really glad I can get such great advice on safety-related topics, from so many experienced people here.

Ross.

PhilC
11-16-2020, 11:44 AM
ar's may need a crimp
i had all the commerical ammo i sold(reman) crimped.
RBT321 didn't ask about "ar's" and I didn't respond about "ar's" so your comment is moot. You are now on MY ignore list.

mikeinco
11-16-2020, 03:06 PM
to be clear...he never specified the rifle till the end.
so go away its fine with me.
he clearly said a 6.5 NOT A 30 30. but you jumped on that.
how many 6.5cm lever rifles are out there ??

RBT321 didn't ask about "ar's" and I didn't respond about "ar's" so your comment is moot. You are now on MY ignore list.

Orezona
11-16-2020, 07:52 PM
You are now on MY ignore list.

It is a growing club. ;)

Stumpkiller
11-16-2020, 09:08 PM
Revolvers - you don't want the recoil to slide a bullet forward from inertia when fired (bullet mass stays at rest and the gun moves back from it) as that will jamb the cylinder. (Done this). Semi-pistols - the chance of the feed ramp or slight misalignment telescoping the round could cause a feed issue, and the slam of the action closing could jump the bullet forward into the throat...

I would wager the cartridges for big-arse African double rifles and bolt actions are crimped as well due to that inertia issue.

In a tube magazine the cartridges are rebounding against the spring and hammering the other cartridges.

Military ammo - soldiers do a lot of harsh activity smashing the magazines around and the same issues as the semi-auto pistol.

PhilC
11-18-2020, 12:12 PM
It is a growing club. ;)
Sure seems to be.

JeepsAndGuns
11-18-2020, 01:28 PM
If you have a standard die set from any of the major producers, bet your seating die DOES have a roll crimp. ;)

Yep. Most seating dies have a built in roll crimp in them. Read the instructions that came with whatever die you bought and I bet it tells you how to set it up.

mikeinco
11-18-2020, 02:18 PM
stump,
you not allowed to talk out side the circle of topic decided by others.
you have violated their rules
and have received one demerit.
please go stand in the corner.

Revolvers - you don't want the recoil to slide a bullet forward from inertia when fired (bullet mass stays at rest and the gun moves back from it) as that will jamb the cylinder. (Done this). Semi-pistols - the chance of the feed ramp or slight misalignment telescoping the round could cause a feed issue, and the slam of the action closing could jump the bullet forward into the throat...

I would wager the cartridges for big-arse African double rifles and bolt actions are crimped as well due to that inertia issue.

In a tube magazine the cartridges are rebounding against the spring and hammering the other cartridges.

Military ammo - soldiers do a lot of harsh activity smashing the magazines around and the same issues as the semi-auto pistol.

RBT321
11-18-2020, 03:19 PM
PhilC & Jeeps, you are both correct. My set of Hornady Custom Grade dies only recently arrived and I haven't tried them yet, but there is indeed a crimping adjustment on the seating die.

Fuj's comment above, about increasing accuracy with some crimped loads, is intriguing. These 129gr bullets aren't fancy, not even boat tails, so they're only going to be for plinking, but I might experiment to see what the real world difference actually is between having the crimp and not. I need to wait until Hornady actually sends them to me, but once I get to try them I'll post my results, in case anyone is interested.

Ross.

Stumpkiller
11-18-2020, 05:06 PM
stump,
you not allowed to talk out side the circle of topic decided by others.
you have violated their rules
and have received one demerit.
please go stand in the corner.

I will cry myself to sleep again tonight. :chargrined: