PDA

View Full Version : DIY stock mods or buy a new stock

223Rem
11-13-2020, 08:22 AM
Putting together a semi-LR hunting rifle using a Savage long action blind magazine to accommodate my long COAL 7mm WSM loads.

I have a 112BVSS stock that had the mag well filled Durham's wood putty (used this a single shot F Class rifle for awhile) and holes drilled in the stock for a cheek riser. Really not much value, IMO, or am I wrong? $100?

Thoughts are to skeletonized the stock by removing material from buttstock and barrel channel area, as well as hollowing out the pistol grip. Maybe fill these areas with a lightweight polymer or air bead epoxy?

Do this or buy a new stock?

TIA

charlie b
11-13-2020, 04:52 PM
Depends on what you want. If the stock fits you then you can keep it and lighten it up. But, if you will need to modify it then you might consider a new stock that fits your purposes. Chassis, adjustable laminated wood or composite, fixed shape of your choice.

hamiltonkiler
11-13-2020, 05:43 PM
I like modifying stock stocks.
Kydex cheek rest comb
Or a bag comb

JB weld bed it.
Fill up the gridding with epoxy.
I’ve filled the butt up with silicone. Old 30-06 with a short sporter profile. Boy was that one called little mule.
If I can ever find a good aftermarket for 100$ I might consider.
Of course I have light recoiling rifles so I don’t get the full benefit a chassis would provide.
A 7mag 30-06 300mags all those jizz jazzers definitely benefit from a real stiff solid stock or chassis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

223Rem
11-14-2020, 07:12 AM
The stock does have the recoil area bedded so it is a super tight fit.....

Yeah screw it, going to bust out the drill press and a jigsaw.

Smokey262
11-14-2020, 08:57 AM
Hard to tell without looking at pics, but finding the guy who would give you $100 for it might be a long wait. Also, don"t know where you live, but if its in the Northern states you will need something to keep you busy in the winter. I say go for it, and share pics of the progress and finished product with us.