PDA

View Full Version : ?? reccomend cleaning rod length / carbon fiber - brand ??

Pages : [1] 2

ice tea
11-12-2020, 03:31 PM
Ordered some Possum Hhollow bore guides, and want to get some cleaning rods for 12fv (26" .308, 6.5cm,, .223 ). Not sure if I should buy all 3, or if I can get away w/ buying 1 or 2 one piece rods. Havent received the bore guides yet, but would like to order cleaning rods, and dont know the ideal length to get for what i described, please reccomend lengths ? Also, " Tipton", and "Breakthrough" came up on google for "carbon fiber rods", the Breakthrough, looks nicer. I figured that would be better than coated. Any suggestions of brands anyone use or like in carbon fiber would be appreciated? thanks

mikeinco
11-12-2020, 04:19 PM
i would steer away from carbon fibre..too easy to pick up and hold grit.
coated is much better or polished ss
dewey or bore tech..ivey if you have money
length is end of bore guide and past the muzzle
your 6.5 may work for the 308 or the 223 may work in the 6.5,
but i would buy all three
the 223 is going to be a 22
the 6.5 is likely to be a 6mm/243
and the 308 a 30

Stumpkiller
11-12-2020, 04:33 PM
As far as length I'd go at least an inch longer than your barrel length plus the receiver length or the longest firearm you will be cleaning.

Bill2905
11-12-2020, 07:44 PM
Something to consider is whether or not the rod handle has enough clearance with the comb height of the stock so as to not cause bending of the rod. If not, you will need more length.

I like my Tipton carbon fiber rods. I also like my coated steel Bore Tech rods which were available in the longer lengths I needed to avoid handle clearance issues.

celltech
11-12-2020, 07:52 PM
Love my Tipton CF rod...thing has been tough as nails. 44" covers all my 26" barrels mounted on chassis...

ice tea
11-12-2020, 09:33 PM
i would steer away from carbon fibre..too easy to pick up and hold grit.
coated is much better or polished ss
dewey or bore tech..ivey if you have money
length is end of bore guide and past the muzzle
your 6.5 may work for the 308 or the 223 may work in the 6.5,
but i would buy all three
the 223 is going to be a 22
the 6.5 is likely to be a 6mm/243
and the 308 a 30

thanks. I had thought it was the other way around, as coated would pick up shrapnelll/grit, and carbon fibre wouldnt. I don't know for sure, cuz Ive only had the 3 piece alum cheapo's in the past. But, accoroding to Tiptons website, it says the coated pickup grit, and carbon fibre don't?

ice tea
11-12-2020, 09:35 PM
Something to consider is whether or not the rod handle has enough clearance with the comb height of the stock so as to not cause bending of the rod. If not, you will need more length.

I like my Tipton carbon fiber rods. I also like my coated steel Bore Tech rods which were available in the longer lengths I needed to avoid handle clearance issues.

I'm glad you brought that clearance point up, I didnt think about that. I did just look at the Bore Tech website, sounds like there are rigid, which makes me think it shouldnt flex against the inner wall of barrel. I suppose thats good, if i can manage not accidentally bend the thing during storage/transport. Tipton website, says there flexible and return to shape, so my guess, is they kinda slide/rub along the inner barrel wall when pushing a brush. Am I guesses about right on these?

ice tea
11-12-2020, 09:44 PM
As far as length I'd go at least an inch longer than your barrel length plus the receiver length or the longest firearm you will be cleaning.

Thanks, I might just have to wait till the bore guides show up, to measure

ice tea
11-12-2020, 09:49 PM
Love my Tipton CF rod...thing has been tough as nails. 44" covers all my 26" barrels mounted on chassis...

right now, mine have the factory stock. I'm thinking of ordering one of them $219.00 Choate tactical stocks, cuz I know I like the Precision stocks, and they appear similar. . I've been tempted to try a chasis, but thats a 400 dollar gamble. I'm sure there good, but just not sure I'd like it. On the other hand, I might love it, lol. I'll might never know unless I try it

mikeinco
11-12-2020, 11:13 PM
lol and what ARE THEY SELLING ???
GO ASK BENCHREST GUYS..GUYS THAT CLEAN ALMOST AS MUCH AS THEY SHOOT

thanks. I had thought it was the other way around, as coated would pick up shrapnelll/grit, and carbon fibre wouldnt. I don't know for sure, cuz Ive only had the 3 piece alum cheapo's in the past. But, accoroding to Tiptons website, it says the coated pickup grit, and carbon fibre don't?

JW
11-13-2020, 06:48 AM
I have Dewey and tipton rods, coated and carbon fiber and use possum hollow guides.
I find that I use the longest rods I have most of the time due to the handle/ stock clearance with shorter rods. ( most of the barrels are 26-30" long )
308 and 223 dia rods will cover your calibers if you don't want to buy a rod for each caliber.
Jack

charlie b
11-13-2020, 07:57 AM
I stay away from flexible rods. Stainless or coated steel one piece. I have a rod for each rifle and the rod is stored in the case with the rifle.

jpx2rk
11-13-2020, 08:16 AM
I use Pro Shot SS one piece rods with Dewey coated jags (won't give false copper readings). I buy 2 rods, one for the patch jag and one for the brush, that way I don't have to change out the tips when cleaning (PITA IMO).

PhilC
11-13-2020, 10:35 AM
I've been using Dewey coated rods for decades. Throw those 3 piece aluminum rods in the recycle bin.

A 40" cleaning rod works for 26" barrelled actions including the Possum Hollow rod guide, do it all the time.

Fotheringill
11-13-2020, 01:26 PM
I stay away from flexible rods. Stainless or coated steel one piece. I have a rod for each rifle and the rod is stored in the case with the rifle.

I use a stainless steel uncoated one piece rod with a bore guide. I have never seen any scratch marks on any rifle I own (all purchased new except one) from the steel.

If for a .223, I would suggest a rod less in diameter than one for a .223. As to length, and to avoid a collection of rods for each individual rifle, going four or five inches longer than measurement and clearance as above is not going to hurt. You also don't know now how long a replacement barrel is going to be until you decide what you want in the future.
Patches are a whole other thing. The thicker ones of the same diameter as the thinner ones, are not going to allow entry into the chamber because clearance will be much less. PLEASE stay away from the two and three piece rods. Sooner or later they are going to bend or break.

I hope this helps a bit.

Bill2905
11-13-2020, 07:16 PM
I'm glad you brought that clearance point up, I didnt think about that. I did just look at the Bore Tech website, sounds like there are rigid, which makes me think it shouldnt flex against the inner wall of barrel. I suppose thats good, if i can manage not accidentally bend the thing during storage/transport. Tipton website, says there flexible and return to shape, so my guess, is they kinda slide/rub along the inner barrel wall when pushing a brush. Am I guesses about right on these?

Don't overthink this. Tipton and Bore Tech rods are flexible but they are tough and retain their straightness. I hang them by the handle when not in use and transport them flat. You would really have to abuse one to bend it. If it's having a hard time entering the bore, use a smaller patch and don't force the issue. If you use the bore guide, there will be no issue with flexing against the inside of the barrel.

ice tea
11-13-2020, 10:10 PM
lol and what ARE THEY SELLING ???
GO ASK BENCHREST GUYS..GUYS THAT CLEAN ALMOST AS MUCH AS THEY SHOOT

I hear ya. I'm going to try to call them next week, and confront them about this, and give them a chance. I believed it also, because, when I was in the sporting good store, i compared, and ran my finger nail over them (even before i read tiptons claim), and my thoughts were the same as Tiptons claim. But,, like I said, I don't know, and I dont see anyone else disputing you here. If, I can get someone I perceive to be any worth on the phone next week, I'' let you know how our conversation went. thanks, for bringing it to my attention

ice tea
11-13-2020, 10:15 PM
I use Pro Shot SS one piece rods with Dewey coated jags (won't give false copper readings). I buy 2 rods, one for the patch jag and one for the brush, that way I don't have to change out the tips when cleaning (PITA IMO).

i hear ya on that. When I weld, I keep about 4 mini grinders along side me, all w/ different wheels, so I dont need to change wheels

ice tea
11-13-2020, 10:18 PM
Don't overthink this. Tipton and Bore Tech rods are flexible but they are tough and retain their straightness. I hang them by the handle when not in use and transport them flat. You would really have to abuse one to bend it. If it's having a hard time entering the bore, use a smaller patch and don't force the issue. If you use the bore guide, there will be no issue with flexing against the inside of the barrel.

lol, yes, I tend to over think stuff sometimes, but I just hate to buy twice. Thanks for advice

ice tea
11-13-2020, 10:23 PM
I use a stainless steel uncoated one piece rod with a bore guide. I have never seen any scratch marks on any rifle I own (all purchased new except one) from the steel.

If for a .223, I would suggest a rod less in diameter than one for a .223. As to length, and to avoid a collection of rods for each individual rifle, going four or five inches longer than measurement and clearance as above is not going to hurt. You also don't know now how long a replacement barrel is going to be until you decide what you want in the future.
Patches are a whole other thing. The thicker ones of the same diameter as the thinner ones, are not going to allow entry into the chamber because clearance will be much less. PLEASE stay away from the two and three piece rods. Sooner or later they are going to bend or break.

I hope this helps a bit.

Thank you, I had heard that before, about using a size/caliber smaller dia. I think I saw .20 or .17 by one of the manufacturers, and the thread size/pitch was different. I'll have to look, and see if other manufacturers do that. If so, that might cause me confusion/hassle w/ the .223. But thanks for mentioning that, I'm gonna look into it some more, and good points about the extra length