PDA

View Full Version : Axis scope base

Mr.Snerdly
11-10-2020, 06:07 PM
I bought an Axis and will drive to Omaha tomorrow to pick it up. They said it came with a scope base. Is this correct? Looking at pictures of the rifle on the Savage website I can't see any and if they do have a scope base would the Redfield Revolution work? I believe the Axis is a long action and I can just barely get the Redfield on the short action Savages I have. Maybe it makes no difference since I have all short action rifles and the long action part makes no difference. I have no idea. The Redfield is a nice scope but it is short.

celltech
11-10-2020, 07:32 PM
All my Axis rifles were in scoped packages and came with bases, so not sure what yours will have. But the bases are the little short ones for each set of mounting holes. On my .243 I have a Redfield Revolution 3-9x50 and I had to put Talley extended mounts to get it to fit. Looking at the mounting holes I don't think it would fit with standard rings. You may need to pick up a full rail to get the adjustment needed.

Mr.Snerdly
11-10-2020, 07:57 PM
That's what I figured. I had a Revolution on my 243 and it just fit. The Revolution that was on the 243 will go on the new gun. It was so close you couldn't read the numbers that tell you what magnification you are on. It is possible different rings would help a little but if the long actions are like I think they are the Redfield will need a different base. I think the Revolution is an excellent scope for the money but everything has drawbacks. It is as clear as my Vortex Viper and I believe they are a rugged scope that will hold zero under a heavy recoil, not that it is going on a big caliber so it should work well.

charlie b
11-10-2020, 08:52 PM
I went the 'easy' route when I replaced the scope on my Axis. Weaver 1 piece pic rail. Then I could mount my Vortex Diamondback where I wanted it. The access to the loading area is not 'obscured' by enough to make a difference, even when wearing gloves.

Mr.Snerdly
11-10-2020, 11:45 PM
I went the 'easy' route when I replaced the scope on my Axis. Weaver 1 piece pic rail. Then I could mount my Vortex Diamondback where I wanted it. The access to the loading area is not 'obscured' by enough to make a difference, even when wearing gloves.
Will this one work? It says for 110. I have no idea if the Axis is different.

https://www.scheels.com/p/multi-slot-base-savage-110-long-action/07668348329.html?cgid=optics-scopes-mounts-rings#prefn1=storeAvailability&prefv1=058&start=2

Mr.Snerdly
11-11-2020, 12:11 AM
Maybe I have something wrong. Does the Axis come in both long and short action? I thought they were all long action regardless of caliber. This is a 223 I am getting.

charlie b
11-11-2020, 08:51 AM
As far as I know the Axis is different than the 110 so unless it says it will fit an Axis then look further. I got mine off the shelf at the local shop. It said Axis/Edge on it.

The Weaver chart says you are looking for the 506 mount (multi-slotted, 1 piece, matte black).

celltech
11-11-2020, 10:02 AM
All the Axis calibers share the same long action, but I think the spacing is unique. There is some good info on the spacing here: https://www.dnzproducts.com/product/game-reaper-savage-2/#:~:text=screws%20per%20ring.-,4%20Hole%20to%20hole%20spacing%20dimensions%20are %20.,%E2%80%B3%2C%20and%20high%201.25%E2%80%B3.

Mr.Snerdly
11-11-2020, 09:16 PM
I got it home. I spent more on a mount than I wanted to but I want to shoot it. It is better than I figured it would be. The stock really isn't much flimsier than the other Savage rifles. The trigger isn't terrible either. About 3 1/2# If it isn't too windy tomorrow I will shoot it in bone stock condition. I will work on the trigger and maybe run some Rockite in the fore end of the stock to help stiffness but it isn't terrible now. A little extra weight doesn't hurt either. It is awfully light. With this small caliber it doesn't need more weight for recoil but I just feel like they are more stable on the rest a little heavier.

charlie b
11-12-2020, 09:22 AM
Savage said they increased the rigidity of the Axis stock. Guess they did. That would help them a lot.

I also like heavy rifles, but, I don't hunt.

Mr.Snerdly
11-13-2020, 02:40 PM
I am doing Savage recommended cleaning. This is quite time consuming, especially this time of the year with the cold. I guess the wind doesn't make much difference. I will not judge the rifle on the groups I get in these conditions. I really don't think it is necessary to clean that often but I am doing it. If I go through all this and it doesn't shoot well I know I did everything recommended. If I didn't and it shoots horribly I would always wonder if it would have been different if I did what Savage recommended.

charlie b
11-13-2020, 05:03 PM
My Axis (.223 heavy barrel) took several hundred rounds to settle down. Until then it was a 2MOA rifle. I kept thinking if I had done the break in I might have speeded up that process. I also put a Boyd's stock on it and a larger scope as well as hanging a bipod off the end of it. Increased weight a bit and gives me a little more solid feel. Action is glued into the stock.

It eventually became a .5MOA rifle. Now has over 3500 rounds through it and still doing well.

Mr.Snerdly
11-13-2020, 05:55 PM
I know this has been asked a thousand times but if I do everything like I am supposed to, that is not get it hot, loads on the lighter side, how many rounds would you think I could get until the accuracy (if it turns out to be accurate) falls off? One of the reasons I got a 223 was to get increased barrel life. If I knew then what I know now I would have never gotten a 22-250. The 223 is kind of a sissyboy caliber but it isn't completely worthless either. It is legal for deer in Nebraska.

celltech
11-13-2020, 07:07 PM
I know this has been asked a thousand times but if I do everything like I am supposed to, that is not get it hot, loads on the lighter side, how many rounds would you think I could get until the accuracy (if it turns out to be accurate) falls off? One of the reasons I got a 223 was to get increased barrel life. If I knew then what I know now I would have never gotten a 22-250. The 223 is kind of a sissyboy caliber but it isn't completely worthless either. It is legal for deer in Nebraska.

I bet it will go 5000+. And it's a Savage...just spin on a new one IF you ever shoot it out.

charlie b
11-13-2020, 08:56 PM
I am hoping mine keeps going strong. It shoots so well I'd not want to replace it anytime soon. Most shooting is done with 77gn SMK's at about 2800fps.

Funny thing is mine likes to shoot HOT, as in too hot to grab the barrel. POI from cold to hot changes about 1" at 300yd, vertical so not hard to compensate. I can shoot a fast 10 round group, then a couple minutes later shoot an equally nice fast 10 round group. At one time I would put 70-100 rounds through it in a 2 hour session. It was more of what my limit was than the rifle. I tend to lose concentration if I shoot too much at one sitting. And most of my best groups are the last ones of the day with the barrel still hot.

The other good part, at this point in the barrel's life, is it can go over 100 rounds without cleaning and still shoot well. I only use a copper remover every 200 or 300 rounds.

For fun targets at 300yd I use soda cans. Set up 10 and hit all 10 with 10 rounds from a cold barrel. Yeah, just a little smaller than 1MOA wide, but, it is fun.

OTOH, my 12BVSS with the really heavy stainless barrel in .308 hates to be very warm. I have to be careful to pace myself when shooting it and during summer I keep a shade over it. Every barrel is different.