PDA

View Full Version : Savage large ring actions

Pages : 1 [2]

defoxer
11-20-2010, 06:29 PM
This is the image of the spec sheet (care of a vendor’s site) shows the 1&1/8th” as the nominal dimension but also the limit of the finished dimension
http://

With a finished diameter of 1.11" it still leaves the equivalent sidewall thickness as a Mauser large ring barrel chambered for a standard 8x57 size round when chambered for a magnum sized round. No complaints here.

sha-ul
11-20-2010, 11:15 PM
This is the image of the spec sheet (care of a vendor’s site) shows the 1&1/8th” as the nominal dimension but also the limit of the finished dimension
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/russell_smith93/forum%20source%20pics/SAVAGE20ACTION.jpg

With a finished diameter of 1.11" it still leaves the equivalent sidewall thickness as a Mauser large ring barrel chambered for a standard 8x57 size round when chambered for a magnum sized round. No complaints here.

ftfy ;)

defoxer
11-21-2010, 01:29 AM
thanks mate

efm77
11-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the info. When I had my large shank barrel made, I measured the outside diameter of the threads with my caliper and it was showing 1.12" and it fit in the receiver without any trouble. I still say that the chamber walls may be thick enough but with a cartridge the size of the 338 Lapua or any of the 378 Weatherby cases you're getting too much rearward thrust for those size locking lugs. Dry chamber or not I think it's too risky. I haven't found the exact dimensions yet but everything I've read says the Mark V has more lug bearing surface and the overall size of the receiver is larger than a Savage. Regardless of barrel shank size this would give the chamber more support for cartridges that size. It also has an integral recoil lug so the shoulder buts right up to the receiver and therefore would have plenty of chamber thickness outside the receiver as well. I think the lug setback has been documented enough that I wouldn't do it. Pursue at your own risk.

efm77
11-23-2010, 05:28 PM
I stand corrected. I finally found some specs for the Mark V action and if they are correct the outside diameter is about the same as the Savage. However, I still thick the shear area/surface area of the multiple lugs on the Weatherby bolt may be more than the Savage's.

defoxer
11-23-2010, 08:01 PM
My understanding is that the ring sizes are the following;

34.24mm WBY
34.40mm Sav
34.65mm Rem
35.59mm Mauser98

I measured the Sav and Mauser. Between the Rem,Wby and Sav the difference is inconsequential, however barrel shank wise both the savage small and large stand apart due to their finer thread and pitch i.e. most 'meat' around chamber.