PDA

View Full Version : Advice?

mizmoose
11-08-2020, 02:48 PM
Have a 116 FSK in 338 win mag that was mfg in july 1994....lived in AK and shot sev moose and bear and caribou w it.....now living back east and 338 not really optimum for hunting here unless you want to masacre the entire heard w one thru shot....., know its a long action blind mag stagger feed. and 532 bolt face (338 win mag)so can and am rebarrelling to 6.5 PRC and making it a long range "yote" killer and fun long range shooter....havent yet spun off stock bbl, and im assuming its a small shank.....Hart stainless 26 inch 5R bbl will be made in straight taper to .920 and sit on a Boyds at one stock.....w EGW flat back LA 20 moa rail.....Quality optics will be purchased as my retirement funds allow....orig stock trigger is last of my upgrades before work to inlet and bed this beast.....any suggestions?

Shooter0302
11-08-2020, 04:56 PM
What do you plan to hunt ?
Do you have plans to do any other form of shooting ?
Ponder on changing the bolt head to a 308 size case head, then your options are many, 308, 6 or 6.5 CM, 3006 or any long case.
You didn't say if you reload , if not study what ammo is still available

mizmoose
11-08-2020, 07:34 PM
plan on whitetails and doing long range coyote hunting....maybe even some long range matches F class....already have a tack driver 270 and have reloaded for over 30 yrs....have my 270 loads well dialed in.....not a novice here just asking abt triggers for this specific rifle to replace the original.

mnbogboy2
11-08-2020, 07:41 PM
The 6.5 prc sounds like a good choice because it matches your bolt head and most likely will feed from your 338 magazine.
My suggestion is to acquire a few 6.5 prc rounds & see how the feed as is. If you re-load or a friend does in that caliber "dummy rounds would be best.
Stagger feed magazines & followers are getting harder to find. If you switch bolt heads you may also have to find the magazine parts and that may open up a whole new can of worms.

Robinhood
11-08-2020, 08:16 PM
If you could find an used SSS trigger you would be set. Outside of that my pick would be the new Jard and then the Sav2 from RB or the Elf are other options. I cant remember if you can upgrade to a Accutrigger or not...been too long.

mizmoose
11-08-2020, 08:31 PM
Thanks, Ive been looking at em on line but never had one of the newer ones under the all telling finger.....looking basically for light n crisp abt 1-1.5 lbs so i can hunt w it if needed and not worry abt tooooo light....will say have tried an accu trigger and didnt like it

mizmoose
11-08-2020, 08:36 PM
thanks gonna stick w the 6.5 PRC and maybe...just maybe... later on.... swap another bbl but it will be for a 338 Lapua...Id heard abt the feed trbls w the mag well and stagger feed with a bolt heaqd swap so will stay w the 532 bolt face.....

sharpshooter
11-08-2020, 08:52 PM
I wouldn't put a 6.5 PRC barrel on a standard shank receiver.

mnbogboy2
11-08-2020, 08:52 PM
thanks gonna stick w the 6.5 PRC and maybe...just maybe... later on.... swap another bbl but it will be for a 338 Lapua...Id heard abt the feed trbls w the mag well and stagger feed with a bolt heaqd swap so will stay w the 532 bolt face.....

Think there has been discussion about the 338 Lapua in the regular savage actions. Savage makes a beefier action for their retail models. If you go that route later on that may be the time for a newcomer in the gun safe!
Good luck with the PRC project.

Fuj'
11-09-2020, 07:52 AM
Let me suggest a 7.5 twist rate for your PRC. You'll be covering your
bases. If you have not fully commited to 6.5 PRC, take a look at the
Sherman line and maybe the heavier 7mm. If I was not shooting my
shortened .284 Win case, I'd have a Sherman chambered up. Robin
Ardoin is currently shooting and winning 1000 yard F-class with it,
and made master class with it.