PDA

View Full Version : Savage Benchrest stock ??

cwmoss
11-06-2020, 12:51 PM
I just bought a new Savage Benchrest rifle in 308 and not really liking how wide the forearm of the stock is, and am wondering if anyone has narrowed down the front of their stock? This rifle is very accurate. I am thinking of shaving it down to about 2 1/2".
Just curious.

Gthompson2012
11-06-2020, 04:45 PM
Are you using this rifle for Benchrest shooting/competition?

If not, you may be able to sell that stock to someone who is, and buy a different stock that you would like more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwmoss
11-06-2020, 05:41 PM
^^No^^, just a play around gun. At our range we have steel out to about 500 yards. Sometimes there are some pigs that come out and we take them out. I haven't really looked around to see what is out there for the action I have.

Fuj'
11-06-2020, 05:57 PM
As was mentioned, sell the stock and find something better suited.
But in the long run it's your stock. Just hate to see a decent stock
get cut when others may appreciate the find for their build. They
are tough to come by.

Gthompson2012
11-06-2020, 06:34 PM
That was my thoughts as well Fuj.

ninner
11-07-2020, 10:30 AM
You should be able to get enough for that stock to cover anything Boyd’s has to offer.

Texas10
11-07-2020, 12:20 PM
What area of Texas are you living? I would trade your stock for a Bobby Hart stock that has a more rounded and narrower forestock. Mail or FTF.

cwmoss
11-07-2020, 02:55 PM
Won't be shaving it. I remembered I had an extra top for my Hart rest that I had bought back in the mid 90's. It has a bag for a 3" forearm and is windage adjustable.

Nor Cal Mikie
11-07-2020, 07:42 PM
" I remembered I had an extra top for my Hart rest that I had bought back in the mid 90's."
Problem solved!!:cool::cool:

I have the same thing. Most of my stocks are 3"+ except for my 110 V in 6.8 SPC on a Richard's Micro-Fit Wildcat stock. Narrower front bag solves any problems.

Fotheringill
11-10-2020, 02:33 PM
I had the opposite issue. A narrow stock and use for benchrest only. I can't remember the guy's name, but he made a 3" wide rail to screw into the bottom of the forestock to make it simulate a BR rifle. It sort of looks like a 8" deep piece of shower door rail (and might very well be one). Suits my needs well.

Texas10
11-12-2020, 12:18 AM
There was a guy on here selling a 3D printed adapter that screws into a BVSS stock. I bought two, and they work pretty well, fitting nicely to the underside of the stock.

Fotheringill
11-12-2020, 12:11 PM
There was a guy on here selling a 3D printed adapter that screws into a BVSS stock. I bought two, and they work pretty well, fitting nicely to the underside of the stock.

If one (not me) is handy with cutting Delrin, it is perfect. Guy next to me at range did it for his rifle for a buck or two and bypassed the custom made shower door rail cut to fit.

Dennis
11-13-2020, 07:12 AM
I just bought a new Savage Benchrest rifle in 308 and not really liking how wide the forearm of the stock is, and am wondering if anyone has narrowed down the front of their stock? This rifle is very accurate. I am thinking of shaving it down to about 2 1/2".
Just curious.

IMO, your better off buying a "Stocky Stock" and putting it on your rifle, then keep the original stock, or sell it.

I have done this with a few of mine. Stock's has one heck of a sale going on currently.

JMO, Dennis

PS: Sure, you could narrow it, but this entails a lot of work.

PSS: I just viewed the "other" replies, lol, they are all good suggestions.

cwmoss
11-13-2020, 02:08 PM
Dennis, Thank you and all the others who have made suggestions. I did look at aftermarket stocks, but could not find any for the 3.44 action, that's why the original question was asked. I would have wanted a "drop in" stock, which I could have bedded later.