PDA

View Full Version : Headspace

Pages : 1 [2]

mnbogboy2
11-04-2020, 09:29 PM
That sounds like a good idea. Cheap too.

Dont forget your go-gauge!

Fuj'
11-05-2020, 08:09 AM
The easiest and most precise way to measure the clearance is with plasti-gage.

Yes Sir !! :cool: As a wild catter, it's been my friend for many years.
Hard to call up and ask for a set of ".xyz eargansplittanloudenboomins"
gages. :rolleyes:

mnbogboy2
11-05-2020, 11:23 AM
Yes Sir !! :cool: As a wild catter, it's been my friend for many years.
Hard to call up and ask for a set of ".xyz eargansplittanloudenboomins"
gages. :rolleyes:

Thats true Fuj, im starting to collect an assortment of "hollow brass go gauges" for the special ones. Was able to shorten a real 308 gauge for the "260 CML" but still use some of the "fired" cases on others. Brass moves & wears but we got to do what we gotta do!
Strip solder will also work to measure headspace if used with a steel (solid) gauge. ☺

Mr.Snerdly
11-05-2020, 03:43 PM
I just checked the headspace with plastigage. It is about .003", same as what I measured with the method used in my original post. I also found out that either the bolt head is not square with the chamber or it is not a uniform, flat surface all across the bolthead.

mnbogboy2
11-05-2020, 05:28 PM
I just checked the headspace with plastigage. It is about .003", same as what I measured with the method used in my original post. I also found out that either the bolt head is not square with the chamber or it is not a uniform, flat surface all across the bolthead.

Your original post didnt mention a go gauge only an empty case. How did you check it this time? Or were you just looking for the headspace compared to that empty case?

mikeinco
11-05-2020, 05:37 PM
yep an empty case is NOT HEADSPACE.
did you remove the ejector for your measurement ??
you have .003 diff between 2 measurements, but headspace is NOT ONE OF THEM.

Your original post didnt mention a go gauge only an empty case. How did you check it this time? Or were you just looking for the headspace compared to that empty case?

Texan
11-05-2020, 11:35 PM
Headspace is from the base of the cartridge to the shoulder datum. The bolt should close on the go guage and not on a no-go. The No-go is generally .003 but one should check SAAMI specs before making any assumptions.
The question asked in the original post has NOTHING to do with headspace and could result in catastrophic failure.

Robinhood
11-08-2020, 12:08 AM
I would think a feeler gauge would be better than tape. I would hate to ruin a good feeler gauge but I guess you don't use .0015" very often. Shim stock would be better if you could find a small amount of it or a mechanic that might give you some, although I doubt .001", .0015" or .002" is very common.

How much do you need. I could send .001", .002" and .003" if you think you need it. I have all I need and I have not used it ...ever. If you reload.....?

Whynot
11-13-2020, 10:05 PM
Wow... I hope this isn't the thread that pops up when someone searches "setting headspace"... After reading it I still don't know exactly what the hell is being asked- and I have a good understanding of headspace and OAL.

Also, don't set your headspace below minimum... the reason it's called a go gauge is because it is supposed to chamber. Some good info in the thread.... but you have to wade through lots to get it.

mnbogboy2
11-14-2020, 08:20 PM
Wow... I hope this isn't the thread that pops up when someone searches "setting headspace"... After reading it I still don't know exactly what the hell is being asked- and I have a good understanding of headspace and OAL.

Also, don't set your headspace below minimum... the reason it's called a go gauge is because it is supposed to chamber. Some good info in the thread.... but you have to wade through lots to get it.

You are correct there certainly is incomplete or misleading information in this post.

The OP never did disclose what he was trying to accomplish. Then he seemed to go awol. Hopefully he understands that he is one that needs an actual headspace gauge to set headspace. If he was trying to measure his case "bump" he could accomplish that using some sort of shims with his fired & sized cases. A case comparator is also another tool that many of us could use in our tool box including the OP.

Thanks for pointing out the safety concerns of setting headspace. Also good catch if someone ends up in this thread after a "setting headspace" search.

Robinhood
11-15-2020, 01:06 PM
I love it when wildcatters tell people how they need to be safe and use headspace gauges. There are many ways to get there the best being gauges. But if you have any experience in measuring and double checking dimensions you can get this done. A sized case will work all day long if it is the correct dimensions. A second one with a shim in the bolt head face will tel you what you need to know. The right tools help but I can tell you that case dimensions will tell you what you need to know. Oh crap! Factory ammo wont fit, OMG...It has a barrel nut, fix it.

Quality; 6" dial calipers, 1" mic, 1" Depth mic, possibly some V-blocks(a way to control thrust) an indicator and maybe a few other items like shims and scissors and you can verify a hole lot of stuff on your rifle and your ammo.

mnbogboy2
11-15-2020, 04:00 PM
I love it when wildcatters tell people how they need to be safe and use headspace gauges. There are many ways to get there the best being gauges. But if you have any experience in measuring and double checking dimensions you can get this done. A sized case will work all day long if it is the correct dimensions. A second one with a shim in the bolt head face will tel you what you need to know. The right tools help but I can tell you that case dimensions will tell you what you need to know. Oh crap! Factory ammo wont fit, OMG...It has a barrel nut, fix it.

Quality; 6" dial calipers, 1" mic, 1" Depth mic, possibly some V-blocks(a way to control thrust) an indicator and maybe a few other items like shims and scissors and you can verify a hole lot of stuff on your rifle and your ammo.

Robin you nailed it. I have used a fired case to duplicate headspace in multiple chambers. Ive also used a new case with shimming to set original headspace. People have to keep in mind that a "soft" brass case can easily change dimension. Datum measurements from shoulder datum to cartridge base if taken carefully will also work. Nothing simplifies and assures the process like a set of quality go and no-go gauges, especially for a novice.

However the OP explaining how to pound a bullet into the lands made little or no sense (at least to my narrow mind).

Also i agree that using a "new" case with a shim is almost foolproof. If another brand of brass is "snug" a simple adjustment with that case will get you back in business and the safety wont be compromised.

mikeinco
11-15-2020, 04:22 PM
you might consider some significant differences in wantabe tools and real tools'
a brass case is thin and flexible, a real go gauge is a chunk of non flexing STEEL.
JUST SAYIN"

Robin you nailed it. I have used a fired case to duplicate headspace in multiple chambers. Ive also used a new case with shimming to set original headspace. People have to keep in mind that a "soft" brass case can easily change dimension. Datum measurements from shoulder datum to cartridge base if taken carefully will also work. Nothing simplifies and assures the process like a set of quality go and no-go gauges, especially for a novice.

However the OP explaining how to pound a bullet into the lands made little or no sense (at least to my narrow mind).

Also i agree that using a "new" case with a shim is almost foolproof. If another brand of brass is "snug" a simple adjustment with that case will get you back in business and the safety wont be compromised.

mnbogboy2
11-15-2020, 08:02 PM
you might consider some significant differences in wantabe tools and real tools'
a brass case is thin and flexible, a real go gauge is a chunk of non flexing STEEL.
JUST SAYIN"

Thats exactly why i mentioned it in my post.

mikeinco
11-15-2020, 08:53 PM
new cases are notoriusly undersized. if used as a zero you will likely have a chamber too short.

ever notice how new brass always chambers...the makers default to small to ensure function in the worst case.

some chamber specs and some cases actually have an interference fit if the numbers are not matched in actual use

mnbogboy2
11-15-2020, 09:16 PM
new cases are notoriusly undersized. if used as a zero you will likely have a chamber too short.

ever notice how new brass always chambers...the makers default to small to ensure function in the worst case.

some chamber specs and some cases actually have an interference fit if the numbers are not matched in actual use

Hopefully after several of us keep repeating ourselves the newcomers will get the message to use true headspace gauges when available and not resort to "shortcuts" in an effort to save money.

olddav
11-16-2020, 08:56 AM
I get what the OP is doing. While it is not the method I have used it could be a viable method to determine headspace.
If I were going to use the method described in the OP I think I would repeat the procedure several times to ensure accurate results.

mikeinco
11-16-2020, 11:20 AM
anything based on a BULLET
is NOT HEADSPACE.
PERIOD

I get what the OP is doing. While it is not the method I have used it could be a viable method to determine headspace.
If I were going to use the method described in the OP I think I would repeat the procedure several times to ensure accurate results.

olddav
11-16-2020, 05:06 PM
Still