PDA

View Full Version : Problems...Stevens 200 .223 converted to .308

robertb
11-01-2020, 08:46 PM
I'm at a loss and need some help from Savage gurus more knowledgeable than me. I converted an older STAGGER-feed Stevens 200 .223 to a .308. I therefore swapped out the bolt head to .308 bolt face, front baffle to allow full stroke, internal box magazine, follower and spring. However, I'm having two issues that are getting the best of me:

1) The extractor is having a heck of a time snapping over the rim of a resized piece of brass and is very difficult to start closing the bolt. The brass was from another .308. However, once it snaps over the rim, the bolt closes easily enough. Some factory ammo is easy to snap over the rim (Federal) while other factory ammo (Perfecta) is tough to snap over the rim. Also, I have check headspacing with PTG Go/No-Go gauges and everything checked out.

2) When opening the bolt slowly and pulling rearward, the front baffle hangs at the back of the ejection port. If you manipulate the bolt fast, you can usually make it through the hang-up. The original .223 baffle never had that issue. It looks as though the new baffle may be (guessing here) a few thousandths wider than the bolt lugs.

Any help is appreciated.

Robinhood
11-01-2020, 09:46 PM
1) Get a 308 (.473) based extractor.

2) Put the 223 baffle back on it in reverse(with the long leg on the left side of the action. See if it operates any better.

robertb
11-01-2020, 10:13 PM
Savage shows only one size extractor:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005114665?pid=107108

Regarding putting the .223 baffle in reverse, I don't think this will work due to the groove in the leg.

mnbogboy2
11-02-2020, 07:27 PM
The replacement extractors are one size fits all. But the original 223 extractor is longer. If you used the 223 extractor that is the most likely cause of the "snap over" problem. You can shorten the outside of the extractor or replace it with a universal one.
Good luck.

Robinhood
11-02-2020, 11:34 PM
Savage shows only one size extractor:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1005114665?pid=107108

Regarding putting the .223 baffle in reverse, I don't think this will work due to the groove in the leg.

Grind it off.

A better idea may be to take the baffle off and make sure that the baffle is the issue by working the bolt without it. If you isolate the cause to the baffle paint the area you think may be causing the drag with a black marker and operate the bolt to see if it wears the marker off. Also paint in the bolt raceway if you want.