PDA

View Full Version : Prairie Dog Recommendations

Pages : [1] 2

Balvar24
10-26-2020, 08:46 PM
I'd like to try a prairie dog hunt. Never been out west.

I don't know where to start. I'd be coming from the South East.

Can any one recommend a reputable and affordable guide?

I'm afraid if I went the DIY route I may end up spending more time looking for a place to shoot than shooting.

Rather than a full service guide with lodge and dinner on the ground, I'd just as soon have someone point me in the right direction and leave me to it.

Thanks.

yobuck
10-27-2020, 10:06 AM
There are numerous places in the western part of the country having good numbers of prairie dogs.
However, not all are the same as for regulations. Some states like Wyoming and Montana for example and possibly others, dont require a license for prairie dogs. There are some that require a guide or the payment of a fee for hunting them. However, it isnt difficult to find excellent places to hunt fairly easily. There are public land places to hunt, but by and large they receive the most hunter pressure, especially close to the roads. The best choice by far are the private ranches, especially those longer distances from towns. Common sense always applies, especially when asking permission to hunt.
Best being alone or maybe one friend or your wife along. Not everybody would appreciate some guys with ARs looking for a place to have a blast.
My first time hunting them i was alone and driving a pickup with a self contained camper on it and towing a Jeep. Time is your friend if you have it, as all you need do is get to the right area and ask people for help finding a place. But if you are the type needing everything pre arranged before leaving home then it might be best to go with an outfitter. Be very choosey as to who you go with. Even old friends might prove to be a poor choice on an extended time trip like that. PM me if you like and we can talk more about it.

Balvar24
10-27-2020, 01:44 PM
Thanks. When I get my post count up, I'll be sure to do so. At the rate I'm going, it may be a while!

Robinhood
10-28-2020, 07:21 AM
Never been either and it sounds like a good time at least once. I was told to bring more than one gun or barrel. What cartridge did you plan on shooting?

Thanks. When I get my post count up, I'll be sure to do so. At the rate I'm going, it may be a while!

At the rate you are going it wont be long.

yobuck
10-28-2020, 10:02 AM
I use 3 different guns, but the vast majority of my shooting is with just one of them which is a 22x250AI using 69 gr bullets.
The others are a 223 using 50/55 gr bullets and a 6x284 using 105s.
I shoot from a bench with adjustable legs so it can be leveled, and i just use a bipod and a rear rabbit ear bag.
I use the higher 6 gallon bucket with a swivel top for a seat, which also holds my ammo for the day, rear bag and even my glasses and rangefinder.
I set the scope for the average distance the holes are located for the gun i will use except for the 6x284, and then just hold up or down and for wind.
Otherwise too much time is wasted dialing only to have them duck down in the hole anyway before you get the shot off.
Single feeding the gun i will usually average 100 to 125 rounds fired in a day.
The closer holes will dry up fairly fast after the shooting starts, which explains why most shots are with the 22x250.
In fact if i were to take only one gun thats what it would be.
I prefer using just hand held binoculars less than 10 power, otherwise i need a tripod for them.
With the lower power i can just rest my elbows on the bench while using them.
I do have a large set of 15x58 hand binoculars i keep attached on a walking stick and laying next to the bench for scrutinizing things further away.
But as a rule i dont bother with the very long shots, so the 6x284 dosent get used much.
I have a lazer rangefinder but again after a short period of time at a location it isnt used much.
Ive found that cartridges like the 17 Rem and the lighter bullets in the 22 cal are affected by the wind too much for my liking.
Which is another reason i dont shoot the longer shots very often.
The ranchers prefer them being shot, not just shot at. lol

Balvar24
10-28-2020, 07:37 PM
I recently picked up a 112v J series in 243. I also have a CZ in 22 hornet. I've got to get a scope block made so I can mount a BV-20 on the Savage and then I can see if it's going to shoot.

I've got an AR, but it has a pencil barrel and starts to open up when it gets warm.

Everyone must be asking about buck's secret spot. His PM box is full!

tunnug
10-29-2020, 04:05 AM
If you make it to Arizona try the Big Boquillas Ranch, you pay $20 per day but since it's a working ranch they have certain months when you can do the shoots, when I went I had a blast even though we were a month late and the dogs were skitterish, if you try it you must pre-register stating what days you'll be there, https://huntbigboranch.com/?doing_wp_cron=1592225125.7266240119934082031250
I used my Savage 12 heavy barrel in .223, average shot was 150 yrds+/-

Balvar24
01-07-2021, 08:34 PM
Well. I've got a couple of days booked.

I've managed to snag a few rounds of 243 here and there. I've got a few months to get a few more. BV-20 is mounted. Just need to get it sighted in.

Anyone using a 17 Hornet? Ammunition seems to be fairly available compared to about anything else.

I was told by the guide most of my shooting would be between 300 and 500 yards. I've got a feeling that may be a stretch for the the little 17 Hornet. I was surprised to see the effect of wind at 500 yards similar to that of a 223 round using Hornady's ballistic calculator.

8mm RUM
01-07-2021, 08:47 PM
YUP! Don't come all this way and have a 17. It is an outstanding round but not what I would call a P dog gun.
22/250, 220, 243,6mm rem, even a 6.5. The wind can blow here a lot...
Even if the outfitter said 300 to 500 It can be even farther.

Balvar24
01-07-2021, 08:53 PM
I quizzed him on recommendations. He said a 223 or 204 would keep me pretty busy for reference. 204 seems to be like hen's teeth right now. What about 223?

I've got a 22 Hornet that's good out just past 200 yds and an old J Series 112v 243. I'm trying to fill in the blank between the Hornet and thundering 243 territory.

The price of 17 Hornet ammo is attractive. 223 seems to be somewhat available too. Sounds like the 17 won't stand too far above the 22 Hornet?

Not looking to burn barrels up. Just wanting to have a couple days of shooting.

hamiltonkiler
01-08-2021, 09:31 AM
I quizzed him on recommendations. He said a 223 or 204 would keep me pretty busy for reference. 204 seems to be like hen's teeth right now. What about 223?

I've got a 22 Hornet that's good out just past 200 yds and an old J Series 112v 243. I'm trying to fill in the blank between the Hornet and thundering 243 territory.

The price of 17 Hornet ammo is attractive. 223 seems to be somewhat available too. Sounds like the 17 won't stand too far above the 22 Hornet?

Not looking to burn barrels up. Just wanting to have a couple days of shooting.

The .223 does everything on the planet. Or .22lr

Coming from a cocky bow hunter [emoji23][emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yobuck
01-09-2021, 10:29 AM
I have a 17 Rem, which is essentially a 223 necked down to 17 and using a 25 gr bullet.
If you hit one there isnt much left of it, assuming of coarse you hit one.
I took it on one trip and after a few hours stopped using it.
Ditto with the 40 gr dog town bullets for the 223, your apt to miss as many as you hit with them.
After the first few shots are fired there wont be many close shot opportunities, so plan on that and you wont be disappointed.
Again, if i could only take one gun it would be my 22/250 AI with the 69 gr bullets.

Balvar24
01-10-2021, 10:38 AM
Ordered a cheap 223 last night. It'll go with me, as will the 243, 22 hornet and probably the 5mm magnum.

yobuck
01-10-2021, 11:00 AM
Ordered a cheap 223 last night. It'll go with me, as will the 243, 22 hornet and probably the 5mm magnum.
So tell us about the trip you have planned.
Where did you decide to go, apparently with an outfitter?
How long will it be?

Balvar24
01-10-2021, 03:59 PM
Two days in east Colorado in June. Figure maybe I can get the lay of the land, maybe pick up enough to do a trip on my own some other time.

Found a guy with a few leases. He's going to show us around and then leave us to shoot on our own. Haven't really planned much beyond the destination and date.

Balvar24
01-15-2021, 04:51 PM
Picked up a model 12FV in 223 this week to take on the trip. All in all, it's what I expected. This is my first rifle with a plastic stock. The stock may have to go. Is there any advantage to a thumbhole? Ammunition and scope rings are on the way.

jpx2rk
01-16-2021, 08:42 AM
The plastic stock works "ok" IMO, I have 3 FV12's and shot all of them in the plastic stock for a couple yrs with good accuracy using handloads. I've upgraded to BVSS stocks on all 3 rifles and accuracy did not improve. The guns looks better, and are heavier on the bench, which results in better gun control in some aspects, but the trigger guy has to do their part. The plastic stocks will ride a metal front rest with bag just fine for giving pdogs some flying lessons.

Balvar24
01-19-2021, 10:40 PM
A BVSS Stock would be sweet. All Numrich has are long actions.

yobuck
01-21-2021, 11:03 AM
Any (good) stock will work regardless of material.
Appearance is a different subject.
I like thumbholes on the heavy hitters, but not as much on the lighter ones.

Totosdad
01-27-2021, 10:10 PM
Well. I've got a couple of days booked.

I've managed to snag a few rounds of 243 here and there. I've got a few months to get a few more. BV-20 is mounted. Just need to get it sighted in.

Anyone using a 17 Hornet? Ammunition seems to be fairly available compared to about anything else.

I was told by the guide most of my shooting would be between 300 and 500 yards. I've got a feeling that may be a stretch for the the little 17 Hornet. I was surprised to see the effect of wind at 500 yards similar to that of a 223 round using Hornady's ballistic calculator.

Looking to do the same, if you could pm me the particular I would appreciate it. Never did p dog hunting either