PDA

View Full Version : Trip to the range with the 12FV in 6.5 CR

jangus
10-25-2020, 02:12 AM
Been to the range twice before with this rifle, but this is the first trip after putting the action into a 110 Tactical stock.
It was cold, 39 degrees, when we got to the range. The first pic, inside the () marker, is the first group down the barrel, clean cold bore, using Winchester 125gr range ammo. Pretty happy with that five shot group.
The second pic is the best group after I switched to Hornady 140gr match ammo, and the groups opened up a little. I feel that this is partially the result of being cold and trigger control suffering. Both groups were shot at 100yds.

charlie b
10-25-2020, 07:29 AM
Not bad. Your groups do seem to be spread horizontally more than vertical.

jangus
10-25-2020, 09:36 PM
Yes, not much action vertically. If I pull a shot, it's side to side. At the very least, it's predictable, if not frustrating.

CFJunkie
10-26-2020, 08:07 AM
Your groups look like you might be experiencing some 'shooter induced variation'.
I've gotten to be a nut about reducing variations that I cause and it has improved my group sizes by about 30% or more depending on the rifle and when I started shooting it.
The rifles that I was shooting 8 years ago have about 50% improvement because I was so oblivious about my set up back then.

To try to rein in horizontal POI variations, you might check to see if the barrel has moved right after recoil (assuming you shoot right handed).
When its cold with extra clothes, it is hard for me to be sure the butt of the stock is in the gap inside the shoulder bone.
If the stock is on shoulder bone, you will notice that the barrel is pointed to the right of the point of aim after recoil because the stock has pushed your shoulder back and moved the barrel.
The farther the stock is away from the crease in your shoulder, the more movement you will see.
It only takes 1.0 to 1.3 msec. for the bullet to leave the barrel but even the slightest movement of the barrel will move the POI.

If the stock is in the crease at the edge of your shoulder bone, the stock comes back straight on recoil and you should see the reticle on the POA, but it might be off a bit on azimuth because your head moved with respect to the scope eyepiece when it returned from recoil.

Moving to the left might result from a change in pressure on the stock as you pull the trigger.
Check to see if the thumb might be high on the stock putting left pressure on the stock as you pull the trigger.
Also check to see if you are gripping the forearm the same way for repeating shots.

Setting up the same way each time really reduces 'shooter induced variation'.
Incredibly small pressure changes can open up groups.

jangus
10-27-2020, 10:53 PM
Your groups look like you might be experiencing some 'shooter induced variation'.
I've gotten to be a nut about reducing variations that I cause and it has improved my group sizes by about 30% or more depending on the rifle and when I started shooting it.
The rifles that I was shooting 8 years ago have about 50% improvement because I was so oblivious about my set up back then.

To try to rein in horizontal POI variations, you might check to see if the barrel has moved right after recoil (assuming you shoot right handed).
When its cold with extra clothes, it is hard for me to be sure the butt of the stock is in the gap inside the shoulder bone.
If the stock is on shoulder bone, you will notice that the barrel is pointed to the right of the point of aim after recoil because the stock has pushed your shoulder back and moved the barrel.
The farther the stock is away from the crease in your shoulder, the more movement you will see.
It only takes 1.0 to 1.3 msec. for the bullet to leave the barrel but even the slightest movement of the barrel will move the POI.

If the stock is in the crease at the edge of your shoulder bone, the stock comes back straight on recoil and you should see the reticle on the POA, but it might be off a bit on azimuth because your head moved with respect to the scope eyepiece when it returned from recoil.

Moving to the left might result from a change in pressure on the stock as you pull the trigger.
Check to see if the thumb might be high on the stock putting left pressure on the stock as you pull the trigger.
Also check to see if you are gripping the forearm the same way for repeating shots.

Setting up the same way each time really reduces 'shooter induced variation'.
Incredibly small pressure changes can open up groups.

Yes, at this point I'd look at myself for the inconsistencies.
I will take this advice to the range with me next time and analyze the way I'm setting up for a shot. Right now I'm using bag rests so I'm not further effecting the accuracy with a shaky forearm grip.

Fuj'
10-28-2020, 08:25 AM
What's your trigger pull set at ?? Also.....Do you sit to the side
or behind the rifle ?? I learned long ago to get my shoulders as
square as possible to the butt, and why you'll see a lot of bench
rest shooters on a stool behind the bench instead of to the side
of it. Same with F-class shooters. They are prone and squared up.
Just something to try.

yobuck
10-28-2020, 10:57 AM
Regardless of the shooting position, or even shooting from a bench, you shouldnt use muscle to align the gun with the target.
First align the gun on the target, then align the body behind the gun without realigning the gun.