PDA

View Full Version : Problems cutting, threading, and recrowning a barrel.

Pages : 1 [2]

mikeinco
10-21-2020, 10:23 PM
from a truck axle and a chevy block.
pretty poor question..
i said i BUILT the rifle,
i did NOT say i MANUFACTURED the parts.

That’s cool. What did you build the action and barrel out of?

Smokey262
10-21-2020, 10:31 PM
Man, I haven't seen this level of back and forth here for a long time :)

gbflyer
10-22-2020, 11:20 AM
from a truck axle and a chevy block.
pretty poor question..
i said i BUILT the rifle,
i did NOT say i MANUFACTURED the parts.

Hahahaha. Good one. I thought maybe you were one of those folks who has the stuff to do it all. Thanks for setting me straight[emoji3]

mnbogboy2
10-22-2020, 08:53 PM
just because this is a savage site , does not mean the world revolves around it. closing your eyes to facts does not change them.

Don't confuse "facts" with opinions. Seems your opinions are not supported by actual facts or science.

mikeinco
10-22-2020, 08:57 PM
lets see you prove me wrong
precision rifles not hunting tactical rifles

Don't confuse "facts" with opinions. Seems your opinions are not supported by actual facts or science.

mnbogboy2
10-22-2020, 09:05 PM
lets see you prove me wrong
precision rifles not hunting tactical rifles

The person making the claims should be the one who provides the proof. Think about it.

mikeinco
10-22-2020, 10:25 PM
You claimed i was wrong.
Where is your proof..
Put up or.....

the person making the claims should be the one who provides the proof. Think about it.

mikeinco
10-22-2020, 10:27 PM
i proved the ONE SOURCE claimed was not a source of precision rifles, but tactical and hunting rifles.

The person making the claims should be the one who provides the proof. Think about it.

Fuj'
10-23-2020, 07:56 AM
I

Nothing but noise.....

How about getting this thread locked

Orezona
10-23-2020, 04:38 PM
I just added a person in co to my ignore list.

mnbogboy2
10-23-2020, 04:59 PM
Never had to ignore anyone, regardless of their tenacity, but maybe time to. My guess is the "Covid" thing is working on some different than others and must give them the benefit of the doubt. Let them get the nasty out of their systems.

Anybody that searches "precision" rifles will come up with a list of at least 10 well known manufacturers.
A search of custom rifle builders that do not use reamers with pilots comes back basically empty. I've "ackleyed" a couple of chambers without a pilot but we all know the reamer will follow the original chamber, simple physics. No one should have to prove anything, especially when using subjective terms.

mikeinco
10-23-2020, 06:14 PM
that is how precision rifle chambers are cut.
the bbl is taper bored to match the reamer.
the tapered bore guides the reamer.

I've "ackleyed" a couple of chambers without a pilot but we all know the reamer will follow the original chamber, simple physics. No one should have to prove anything, especially when using subjective terms.

Robinhood
10-23-2020, 06:36 PM
Mike, You speak of truth and facts. You stated earlier that you were a national champion. Can you give us some facts. What year did you achieve national champion status? Who was the sanctioning body? Discipline? Number of competitors? Remember, I know.

mnbogboy2
10-23-2020, 07:49 PM
Too bad all smiths didn't have equipment that "tight". They could dial it in at a fraction of a tenth and then use they could use all their old reamers because the pilots wouldn't even touch! Biggest advantage of using no pilot would be to a more effective flushing during operations. The setup for quality chambering is most important. If the lathe won't hold the tolerance, no amount of setup and prebore is going to make the chamber "true". The benefit of more effective flush is probably the biggest advantage, similar to cutting a chamber by hand with frequent cleanings every .010 or .020.
The end result of a "clean", "round", concentric to bore is attainable in more than one way.
The term "precision" is being used pretty loose and actually would be an insult to a bunch of top end smiths who build rifled for a host of competitors and "national champions".

mikeinco
10-23-2020, 07:58 PM
i was pretty clear with the word precision...as in not hunting and not tactical.

Too bad all smiths didn't have equipment that "tight". They could dial it in at a fraction of a tenth and then use they could use all their old reamers because the pilots wouldn't even touch! Biggest advantage of using no pilot would be to a more effective flushing during operations. The setup for quality chambering is most important. If the lathe won't hold the tolerance, no amount of setup and prebore is going to make the chamber "true". The benefit of more effective flush is probably the biggest advantage, similar to cutting a chamber by hand with frequent cleanings every .010 or .020.
The end result of a "clean", "round", concentric to bore is attainable in more than one way.
The term "precision" is being used pretty loose and actually would be an insult to a bunch of top end smiths who build rifled for a host of competitors and "national champions".

mikeinco
10-23-2020, 08:00 PM
its been posted before
clue
600 yard benchrest

Mike, You speak of truth and facts. You stated earlier that you were a national champion. Can you give us some facts. What year did you achieve national champion status? Who was the sanctioning body? Discipline? Number of competitors? Remember, I know.

Orezona
10-23-2020, 08:41 PM

Hey look, some guy in CO isn't being rude anymore. :o