PDA

View Full Version : hawke scopes

robdon
10-18-2020, 05:43 PM
does anybody have any experience with hawke rifle scopes? ive been thinking about getting the frontier 2.5x15x50 model for a 6.5 i have.just wondering if they are any good or junk. any thoughts?

hamiltonkiler
10-18-2020, 05:54 PM
I don’t think anything is wrong with them.
I think you can do better for the same amount of money with a CS replace no questions asked policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yobuck
10-19-2020, 12:40 PM
About 5 or 6 years ago an old friend had some serious heart issues and decided to sell his lefty Rem 700 in 7 mag.
I didnt want the gun but was interested in the scope he had on it which was a Leupold VX3 in 3.5x10x 42 mm with target knobs.
He probably had the outfit for about 20 years. I resold the gun and sent the scope to Leupold for a reticle change.
A couple weeks later they notified me to call them. When i did they told me they had found some issues with the scope, and due to its age they no longer had replacement parts for it. Therefore did i want a gloss finish scope like the original, or a matt finish on the new one they would send me free of charge. But there was one small hang up on the deal. If i still wanted the reticle upgrade it would be the standard upgrade cost of $90 for that.
After selling the gun i had about $250 invested in the scope, which is the third of that same model scope i own.
So what you pay upfront isnt always whats most important.

Lefty Trigger
10-19-2020, 01:31 PM
I have 3 of them, 2 10-50 Sidewinders and 1 8-32 Sidewinder (currently for sale on the forum) and they are pretty good scopes for the money. I never had any of the Frontier series since I think those are more towards the hunting side.

Robinhood
10-19-2020, 08:52 PM
Honestly, it is a mistake to not at least look at Athlon Midas(SFP) or Midas Tac(FFP) scopes. And they are less expensive.

daved20319
10-23-2020, 12:20 PM
The Hawke scopes got started in the airgun world, and as an avid air gunner for most of a decade, I had several over the years. They're only okay at best, and that's in their top tier offerings. Nice features, but they tend to be heavy, with only so so glass. In short, you can do better for the same money, I consider these only a small step up from Leaper's. That said, it's been several years since I last checked one out, so maybe they've gotten better. Later.

Dave

longbarrel
01-11-2021, 09:58 PM
I also found Hawke to be OK but not great glass, and fairly heavy. I suggest that you call one of the optics selling companies that sponsor some gun related website forums. I don't know if specific examples are permitted on this forum.