PDA

View Full Version : Reducing bolt lift effort

Pages : [1] 2

Aircraftmech76
11-10-2010, 09:34 PM
How exactly does one reduce the bolt lift effort aside from a longer bolt handle. I've polished the rear baffle ramp and the bolt handle cam, as well as the bolt lugs. I just don't know if I've missed anything. I've been on Fred's waiting list to have my two actions trued and timed for over four years. I just don't get it.

Kevin

Quickshot
11-10-2010, 10:23 PM
Air76-- You just kicked a hornets nest. Sit back and be prepared for lots of info. ;) I tried one of the fixes but it ended up a huge waste of time and effort. Good luck! Quick

Aircraftmech76
11-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Roger that...bee suit on.

sha-ul
11-10-2010, 10:54 PM
I've had some of those days.
http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s294/russell_smith93/smilies/beehive.gif

shovelheadave
11-11-2010, 07:03 AM
Thanks for the morning laugh boys...

Dirk
11-11-2010, 11:36 AM
How exactly does one reduce the bolt lift effort aside from a longer bolt handle. I've polished the rear baffle ramp and the bolt handle cam, as well as the bolt lugs. I just don't know if I've missed anything. I've been on Fred's waiting list to have my two actions trued and timed for over four years. I just don't get it.

Kevin

Four years? Don't you think he forgot about you? You must be a VERY patient guy.

pdog06
11-11-2010, 12:24 PM
patient!!! I'd say thats an understatement!....LOL

I made my appointment around May to have it done at the beginning of September(supposedly one of the first ones after they return from the Jamboree). I havent been called yet, and if youre ahead of me on the list I doubt Ill even own the gun anymore by the time it's time to be T&T'd...LOL I know they're busy so I have just forgotten about it, but if it was something I was really, really needing done I'd be pretty upset.

As far as a sooner solution to a lighter boltlift, you can always order a bolt lift kit from Stockade Gunstocks. They cost about $8 and you'll have it in a week. All you'd need to do is to shorten the rear bolt screw by about .112"(thats what the 7 of mine measured anyway). Stockade may even be able to sell you a new screw that is already shortened. It will help a little bit, but not near as much as a T&T job.

scratcherky
11-11-2010, 02:25 PM
I would get on the phone with Lisa and find out your status on the wait list. I have had to wait several months but the results were worth it.

Aircraftmech76
11-11-2010, 03:48 PM
Yep, four years as of August 23rd. Got the emails to prove it too. I've checked in by email and phone, but just haven't been called back or replied to about my actions. I'm thinking I don't want it done now, as bad as I want it done.

Aircraftmech76
11-11-2010, 03:51 PM
Had a friend tell me about a mod for bolt lift effort, but I can't tell any difference really. It's a 38 Special case that I cut down and threw a ball bearing into the primer pocket. I'm guessing this is what Stockade has listed on their website.

geargrinder
11-11-2010, 03:57 PM
Did you trim the BAS? If you didn't, you reduced the friction but added spring tension.

pdog06
11-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Had a friend tell me about a mod for bolt lift effort, but I can't tell any difference really. It's a 38 Special case that I cut down and threw a ball bearing into the primer pocket. I'm guessing this is what Stockade has listed on their website.

Yeah, it is basically the same thing. But like Geargrinder said and why I mentioned it in my earlier post, if you did not trim the rear bolt assembly screw by that approx .112" or so(the thickness of the washer/casehead and however much ball bearing sticks up out of it) you will decrease the friction, but you will increase the spring tension. This essentially evens out at best, but can make it worse than it was.

By trimming the BAS you keep the same spring tension as you had, and lessen the amount of friction, which will ease boltlift somewhat.

Aircraftmech76
11-11-2010, 04:26 PM
I wonder how much a guy could shorten the BAB and still get positive ignition?

Aircraftmech76
11-11-2010, 04:51 PM
What the heck is that?

pdog06
11-11-2010, 07:20 PM

I gave you the correct way to install the bolt lift kit. You should not shorten the BAS unless you are installing the kit, and then you have to measure the kit and shorten the BAS that amount. If you shorten it anymore it could be unreliable, and I do not think anyone here would tell you to do that..

No matter what you do it will not lighten the bolt lift as much as Freds T&T job however. It is WELL worth the money, but up to the individual if it is worth the wait or not.

bigbada
11-11-2010, 10:34 PM
[quote=pdog06 ]
patient!!! I'd say thats an understatement!....LOL

I made my appointment around May to have it done at the beginning of September(supposedly one of the first ones after they return from the Jamboree). I havent been called yet, and if youre ahead of me on the list I doubt Ill even own the gun anymore by the time it's time to be T&T'd...LOL I know they're busy so I have just forgotten about it, but if it was something I was really, really needing done I'd be pretty upset.

talk to kevin at stockade, he also does T&T's but not listed on his website.

Aircraftmech76
11-12-2010, 01:55 AM
I made the initial request in 2006, and in 2007 I ordered a rimfire stock stock from them (very nice by the way), and inquired about it again then as well. I was told "within the next 90 days" and was even going to get the old T&T pricing for my troubles. That should give you guys some idea how long I've been waiting. I've been told by several friends of mine who have had it done that it's worth the wait, but four years? It had better be AWESOME-LOL.

Kevin

Aircraftmech76
11-12-2010, 04:43 AM

I gave you the correct way to install the bolt lift kit. You should not shorten the BAS unless you are installing the kit, and then you have to measure the kit and shorten the BAS that amount. If you shorten it anymore it could be unreliable, and I do not think anyone here would tell you to do that..

No matter what you do it will not lighten the bolt lift as much as Freds T&T job however. It is WELL worth the money, but up to the individual if it is worth the wait or not.

I understood your instructions in that you remove as much as you add. Perhaps my question was not asked correctly. I would like to see how much more could one remove from the BAB and still have positive ignition. I think we can all agree that most firearms are over-engineered / oversprung in many areas: triggers (thanks lawyers!), gas systems, etc. This is done to permit positive function during less than ideal scenarios. I'm a tinkerer by nature, and I'm just curious just how oversprung the firing pin spring is. It would be interesting to see how far it could be reduced until the rifle started having ignition problems. Once that is established, add a safety factor of say 10% to ensure positive ignition, and see what the resulting reduction would be. I'd be willing to sacrifice a BAB for that kind of research...that is, unless someone's already done it.

Kevin

Kevin

MDM
11-12-2010, 07:32 AM
I got two lift kits from Kevin Rahill last week. I asked him about shortening the BAS, he said I could shorten it by 1/8" or not even bother to shorten it as some of the Savage springs are on the weak side anyway. I put them both in without shortening the BAS and I don't think I can tell any difference really. It probably would help if I shortened the screw.

Blue Avenger
11-12-2010, 01:00 PM

I'm a tinkerer by nature, and I'm just curious just how oversprung the firing pin spring is. It would be interesting to see how far it could be reduced until the rifle started having ignition problems. Once that is established, add a safety factor of say 10% to ensure positive ignition, and see what the resulting reduction would be. I'd be willing to sacrifice a BAB for that kind of research...that is, unless someone's already done it.

Kevin

Kevin
It's been tried. How are you going to know when you have enough for reliable ignition and enough to keep the pin from being blown back? Then how are you going to pass this along in a safe manner that will not get some one hurt trying to copy you?