PDA

View Full Version : 308 win lapua "palma" brass

mikeinco
10-18-2020, 02:28 PM
so i am building a 308 target rifle and wanted great brass for a base line.
not benchrest, but not hunting/plinking
i looked at starline small primer 308 brass,but they have 2 unaddressed issues, they use a large flash hole, and NO USE REPORTS.
so i went with a known, more expensive, option. 2 100 count boxes of lapua palma 308 brass, small primer pockets/small flash hole.
the only real advantage of this brass is a stronger base. if shooting near or at top end, these should last longer.
with my savage 10 308 at top end, when i added my suppressor i seemed to experience more pressure. so went with this brass.
did a weight sort and got almost 170 at 173.3 plus or minus .3 GREAT
the leaves a handful for some baseline load work.
while not really require, because i have time while the bbl is sbn treated i am going to do a 0.014 clean up neck turn.

Ted_Feasel
10-18-2020, 03:40 PM
so i am building a 308 target rifle and wanted great brass for a base line.
not benchrest, but not hunting/plinking
i looked at starline small primer 308 brass,but they have 2 unaddressed issues, they use a large flash hole, and NO USE REPORTS.
so i went with a known, more expensive, option. 2 100 count boxes of lapua palma 308 brass, small primer pockets/small flash hole.
the only real advantage of this brass is a stronger base. if shooting near or at top end, these should last longer.
with my savage 10 308 at top end, when i added my suppressor i seemed to experience more pressure. so went with this brass.
did a weight sort and got almost 170 at 173.3 plus or minus .3 GREAT
the leaves a handful for some baseline load work.
while not really require, because i have time while the bbl is sbn treated i am going to do a 0.014 clean up neck turn.I use starline small primer match in my precision rifle and in my AR10 308 I use IMI match. The starline has been very consistent. Im on 6 reload on my 1st batch of 50 I prepped.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

bigedp51
10-18-2020, 05:10 PM
I'm a cheap bastard and buy bulk once fired Lake City 7.62 brass and spend days prepping and sorting the cases.

Its too bad I'm on your ignor list mikeinco, and you will never read this informative posting. :rolleyes:

Save $$ By Using Lake City 5.56x45mm Once-Fired GI Brass
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2019/10/save-by-using-lake-city-5-56x45mm-once-fired-gi-brass/

Accuracy Potential of Mil-Surp 5.56×45 Brass

So, how accurate can previously-fired GI surplus brass be in a good National Match AR-15? Well, here’s a data point from many years ago that might be of interest. A High Power shooter who wrote for the late Precision Shooting magazine took a Bill Wylde-built AR match rifle to a registered Benchrest match. His first 5-round group ever fired in a BR match was officially measured at 0.231″ at 200 hundred yards. This was fired in front of witnesses, while using a moving target backer that confirmed all five rounds were fired.He recounted that his ammo was loaded progressively with factory 52gr match bullets and a spherical powder using mixed years of LC brass with no special preparation whatsoever. Obviously, this was “exceptional”. However, he had no difficulty obtaining consistent 0.5-0.6 MOA accuracy at 200 yards using LC brass and a generic “practice” load that was not tuned to his rifle.

mikeinco
10-18-2020, 06:26 PM
little eddie ( aka all hat and no cattle eddie) please go away.
my thread feels dirty when you post on it.

sharpshooter
10-18-2020, 06:47 PM
.231" at 200 yds from an AR is not impossible, just not probable. That's what we call a "fluke"......basically something that can't be repeated.

Ted_Feasel
10-18-2020, 06:52 PM
I'm a cheap bastard and buy bulk once fired Lake City 7.62 brass and spend days prepping and sorting the cases.

Its too bad I'm on your ignor list mikeinco, and you will never read this informative posting. :rolleyes:

Save $$ By Using Lake City 5.56x45mm Once-Fired GI Brass
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2019/10/save-by-using-lake-city-5-56x45mm-once-fired-gi-brass/

Accuracy Potential of Mil-Surp 5.56×45 Brass

So, how accurate can previously-fired GI surplus brass be in a good National Match AR-15? Well, here’s a data point from many years ago that might be of interest. A High Power shooter who wrote for the late Precision Shooting magazine took a Bill Wylde-built AR match rifle to a registered Benchrest match. His first 5-round group ever fired in a BR match was officially measured at 0.231″ at 200 hundred yards. This was fired in front of witnesses, while using a moving target backer that confirmed all five rounds were fired.He recounted that his ammo was loaded progressively with factory 52gr match bullets and a spherical powder using mixed years of LC brass with no special preparation whatsoever. Obviously, this was “exceptional”. However, he had no difficulty obtaining consistent 0.5-0.6 MOA accuracy at 200 yards using LC brass and a generic “practice” load that was not tuned to his rifle.I've had great lake city brass when it was from the same lot.. the one thing I've noticed consistently about LC is you have to keep it annealed to get best life and performance. Yes thats true with any but LC I had to anneal every firing.

Ted_Feasel
10-18-2020, 06:54 PM
.231" at 200 yds from an AR is not impossible, just not probable. That's what we call a "fluke"......basically something that can't be repeated.I have a 223 wylde that will do it, given i built it for precision but I would have to agree the typical AR won't be that tight.

mikeinco
10-18-2020, 08:19 PM
ted a couple of things
the shooter was john feamster, who wrote "black magic the ultra accurate ar-15"
while he did shoot a .231, his AVERAGE with that ammo at 200 yards was 1.1.
(with a match ar 15 and a scope.) while real benchrest rifles were well under 1"
it was a fluke plain and simple, john never repeated it. the benchrest world promptly banned ar's after john shot that.
he switched to sorted and prepped win brass for he ACCURACY testing for the book.
( i bought the brass from him when he was done, and weight sorted it..it was a mess)
the spread clearly supports some of the issues he had

my small group in an ar15 with sorted by volume fnm( yes mil brass) was 0.18, but 0.2 is more like an average(100yards)
i have shot 50gr zmax at .20 at 100
my small group with an ar10 is 0.116 lapua prepped brass 134 benchrest bullets followed by a 0.157 same day
BUT THIS IS A SAVAGE FORUM NONE OF THIS MATTERS

I have a 223 wylde that will do it, given i built it for precision but I would have to agree the typical AR won't be that tight.

mikeinco
10-18-2020, 08:25 PM
a wylde chamber (bill wylde) was DESIGNED for MIL large target shooting.
its throat is way too long for real precision. is a long shallow throat that allows single feeding of
2.45 long 80 gr loads for 600 yards and still shoot 68/75's for 200/300. but the 10 ring is 2MOA.
wylde is a generic good chamber( actually throat), but not a great reamer for precision.

bigedp51
10-18-2020, 08:27 PM
little eddie ( aka all hat and no cattle eddie) please go away.
my thread feels dirty when you post on it.

Little mikey, I put small rifle primers and caster oil in my cattle feed, it helps to burn off the forum bovine scat.

https://i.imgur.com/eHM6WZi.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/KvOAC9K.jpg

Ted_Feasel
10-18-2020, 08:40 PM
a wylde chamber (bill wylde) was DESIGNED for MIL large target shooting.
its throat is way too long for real precision. is a long shallow throat that allows single feeding of
2.45 long 80 gr loads for 600 yards and still shoot 68/75's for 200/300. but the 10 ring is 2MOA.
wylde is a generic good chamber( actually throat), but not a great reamer for precision.I didn't use lc on that when load was developed, I used same lot good brass all prepped as close to perfect as I can get it, put it this way, it shoots as straight as I can hold still.