PDA

View Full Version : Axis 223 FTF

KMW1954
10-15-2020, 06:30 PM
While shooting a new to me used Axis 223 Bolt I have come up with 8 FTF rounds out of 120 over two sessions. This has occured with both factory rounds and reloaded rounds. All the primers have a strike that looks like they should have fired and are not light strikes. The primers in the reloads are CCI #41.

GaCop
10-17-2020, 10:02 AM
I had a similar problem with my new Axis after about 200 rounds through it. Turned out to be my springs and I replaced them ending the problem. You said strikes on the primers were heavy enough that they should have fired, may be some bad primers. #41 primers are a made with a heavier cup to meet military specifications and may have caused the problem with your handloads.

Robinhood
10-17-2020, 04:19 PM
^^^^^^^More than likely unless the headspace is too long.

KMW1954
10-17-2020, 07:31 PM
^^^^^^^More than likely unless the headspace is too long.

Wouldn't excessive headspace show up the same as a light strike? I am using a Hornady headspace gauge on every one.

Texas10
10-18-2020, 12:19 PM
Have you checked your firing pin protrusion? Did you ever have a primer pierce when shooting hand loads? Have you taken the bolt apart and cleaned, oiled and check to make sure the cocking pin does not bottom out on the cocking ramp?

Sometimes just a thorough clean and inspect/adjust can solve an otherwise persistent problem like light primer strike.

There is a similar post just below: https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?67067-Axis-won-t-fire

To check that you're headspacing correctly, take one of your ready to load cases and chamber it while taking note of the ease of bolt drop. Then put one layer of scotch tape on the head, carefully trimming it, and chamber it again. Does the bolt also drop easily? If so, add another layer. If the bolt still drops easily, you're setting the shoulder back too far and that may be causing light primer strike.

With a new barrel, I'll neck size only my brass for the first few cycles. Once the brass is fully fireformed and the bolt shows some tendency to drop with stiffness, I'll keep one case as a reference tool, labeling it with the base to datum measurement. I use that as a basis when setting up my dies.

KMW1954
10-18-2020, 12:45 PM
Texas10 thank you for the reply. I have not done any of those things yet but I certainly will. I have just watched a quick video on how to disassemble the bolt. I will post back what I find.