PDA

View Full Version : 110 Mountain Rifle Build

shmelton
10-14-2020, 11:13 PM
So I just picked up a7RM in a 110 for the purposes of building a Mountain Rifle. I am topping it with a Burris Fulfield 3x9x40 E1 scope that I got with Cabelas points the scope it came with was a Simmons 8 pt.. It also came with a black shiny tupper ware stock. I pulled a wooden 110 stock off of a 243 I have. So here is my list of questions I have. I want a 500 yd hunting rifle.

Will the wooden stock fit the 7mag?

If the wooden stock fit the 7mag would it be worth refinishing and using? {I like wood stocks both are blind mag)

How much would glassing and bedding a wood factory stock improve accuracy?

Is glassing and bedding a stock something a pretty handy person can do?

I adjusted the factory trigger on my 243 to my liking so I will try to do the same with a 7mag.

Is there that much difference in a 5lb trigger and a 2.5 lb trigger in a hunting situation?

What is a good pre fit recoil pad to put on a 7mag? Ive never shot her before, but from what I understand its about the same as a 30-06. I have been shooting a savage .06 since I was 10 so I am no stranger to the recoil. I've been shooting an 06 for 30 yrs.

Do I even need a after market recoil pad?

What else am I missing that will make this a great mountain rifle?

Thanks for the opinions!

Robinhood
10-15-2020, 12:20 AM
Wow, That is a lot to unpack.

The Wood stock you have will bolt up but the magazine inlet is wrong so unless you have a mill it is probably a no go.

Bedding, regardless if you use Acraglass or any other bedding media, is normally a big improvement in a wood stock, and using pillars is standard procedure once you get that far. Watch a few video's and research it a bit and you can probably do a sufficient job if you are handy.

Trigger pull weight is subjective and preferential. For instance if you wear gloves you could trip a light trigger before you knew what was happening. 2.5 lb's is as low as I would go with a hunting rifle.

I would rather have a brake than a bigger softer recoil pad.

If you are going to be on foot for a while the lightest rifle you can build is what makes a good mountain rifle.

I think a 284 or a 280 Rem or 280AI makes a great Mountain Rifle cartridge.

tobnpr
10-15-2020, 07:05 PM
Your .243 was built on a LA?

jpdown
10-15-2020, 11:29 PM
I doubt a Savage SA stock will fit a LA 7mm RM barreled action.

shmelton
10-19-2020, 04:27 PM
So, while I had the synthetic stock off, I tried it in the 243 stock. It will bolt right up. The only difference is the total length of the wood stock is about 2” shorter on the fore end. I wouldn’t think that would matter would it? I also remember reading where some of the old 110 243’s were actually made in a long action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robinhood
10-19-2020, 06:02 PM
You will have to inlet the mag well in the stock so that a long action magazine will fit.

shmelton
10-19-2020, 07:14 PM
Both are stagger fed so would this still be required. The 7mag sat in there perfectly.

shmelton
10-19-2020, 07:15 PM
Double post
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhilC
10-20-2020, 10:14 AM
I also remember reading where some of the old 110 243’s were actually made in a long action.
Yes, they were. My wife's 7-08 purchased in the 80s is same way.