PDA

View Full Version : Bump sizing

Mr.Snerdly
10-13-2020, 08:51 PM
When you do this, is the entire case resized or only part of it?

Orezona
10-13-2020, 09:23 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htvk1UYOXm8

Team Lapua F Class Team Captain. Currently preparing for F Class Nationals....

And one of few that shares the "inside" knowledge because others did it for him.

Mr.Snerdly
10-13-2020, 09:51 PM
That really doesn't tell me what I want to know.

Orezona
10-13-2020, 09:58 PM
It does if you watch the entire video. I gave you the link because he describes it better than I ever could. Sorry, I was just trying to help. I've never met Eric Cortina and I'm not sponsored by Lapua and I don't work for Eric Cortina's concrete company. Again, I'm sorry, I was just trying to help.

Mr.Snerdly
10-13-2020, 10:12 PM
It does if you watch the entire video. I gave you the link because he describes it better than I ever could. Sorry, I was just trying to help. I've never met Eric Cortina and I'm not sponsored by Lapua and I don't work for Eric Cortina's concrete company. Again, I'm sorry, I was just trying to help.

I did watch the whole thing but it might be I missed it. I will watch it again. He makes a lot of sense on getting the die set right, much easier than trial and error

Thanks for your help.

Orezona
10-13-2020, 10:17 PM
I did watch the whole thing but it might be I missed it. I will watch it again. He makes a lot of sense on getting the die set right, much easier than trial and error

Thanks for your help.

You are welcome Sir.

Fuj'
10-14-2020, 06:14 AM
When you do this, is the entire case resized or only part of it?

If you bump using your FL die, your sizing the entire case. A good
bump die will just push the shoulder back and not touch the walls
of the case. Too much bump can effect your head space.

Mr.Snerdly
10-14-2020, 07:55 AM
I had no idea they made just a bump die. I imagine this is a pretty specialized piece. Who makes them?

The thing that bothers me about the full length resizing is pulling the expander ball through the neck. I know the case isn't supported then and it looks like maybe it could get out of alignment. Maybe not, just my thoughts.

Nor Cal Mikie
10-14-2020, 08:26 AM
Bushing bump dies don't use a "neck button" that pulls the neck longer with every up stroke of the press.
They will also just size the neck without sizing the body.
If you shoulder bump, sooner or later you WILL need to size the body when the bolt starts getting harder to close because the case starts getting fat. Either full length or a body die. Pick your poison.

If the fired case will re chamber and the bolt close easy, just size the neck, reloads and go shooting.
AND, bump dies won't let the OAL of the case grow like like standard full length dies will.

charlie b
10-14-2020, 02:47 PM
If you are getting into that much detail with case forming then have a custom size die made by someone like Forster.

bigedp51
10-15-2020, 08:13 PM
I had no idea they made just a bump die. I imagine this is a pretty specialized piece. Who makes them?

The thing that bothers me about the full length resizing is pulling the expander ball through the neck. I know the case isn't supported then and it looks like maybe it could get out of alignment. Maybe not, just my thoughts.

A resizing die is adjustable up and down to get the proper amount of shoulder setback for "YOUR" rifle. And adjusting the die per the instructions increases the amount of shoulder setback so the cartridge will fit in any chamber. So in the image below you adjust the die to push the shoulder back (BUMP).001 to .002 below the red dotted line for "YOUR" rifle.

https://i.imgur.com/wm05ArY.gif

Below is a Forster full length die cut away, the case neck is held and centered in the die when the expander enters the case neck. Meaning the expander will not pull the neck of center and induce neck runout.

https://i.imgur.com/CzNnpuh.jpg

Also the Redding bushing dies come with a expander for reloaders who do not neck turn. And the Redding bushing die FAQ tells you if the neck thickness varies .002 or more to use the expander that comes with their dies. You must also use a bushing a few thousandths smaller and allow the expander to push the thickness variations to the outside of the neck.

243winxb
10-18-2020, 11:19 AM
Forster makes a bushing bump die. To much bump and brass will not chamber. Buy a Redding Type S fl bushing die. Control shoulder bump.

Larrykwebb
10-19-2020, 01:54 PM
Get you a redding body die, no mandrel no nothing inside it.
Sizes the body ( does not touch the neck) and you can bump the shoulder back.
Get you a Lee collet die for the neck sizing...

243winxb
10-21-2020, 02:25 PM
Remove the expander unit for a Redding fl S die, it may be the same as a body die? Ask Readding.