PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Got an early 110 LEFTIE!

mikebritton
10-13-2020, 10:01 AM
Good morning! Mike Britton here, brand new to the forum, so if I misstep bear with me.
Did my introduction yesterday, member of the Marlin Owner's Group, and Cast Boolits, so I kinda know how forums work.
I'm here because at 72 I finally have a rifle I have lusted after for decades,an early 110L! I'm into vintage iron and this one fits right in there.
It's in .30-06, not my favorite caliber, but several shooters have told me to hold off on my opinion until I have shot my 110.
I know nothing about 110's except the glowing reports from several friends who own/have owned them with not too many dislikes.
Mine is apparently from what I gather, a very early model, serial #209XX, and is in a custom stock with fine hand checkering that makes the factory 2X4 look even worse. LOL
I mounted a vintage Mayflower 3-9X40 TV screen scope on top to keep it all vintage. I'll post pictures when the mods turn me loose.
I haven't gotten to the range yet, but I think I'm having feeding problems. With the typical red plastic dummy rounds I put 2 in the mag and the bolt picks up the first round fine. After extraction, the bolt will ride over the next round as if the follower isn't pushing round #2 up high enough for the bottom of the bolt to nudge it forward.
I won't test function with live rounds, I don't want to shoot through the neighborhood! And the red plastic thingies are no where near the overall length of my loaded stuff. I have once fired brass out of my 1903A3, but the chamber in the Savage is so tight that my once fired brass won't quite chamber.
A fresh Remington 180 grain goes in tight, but like butter, so there is that.
Now, the fact that the action is in a custom stock shouldn't make any difference to the magazine except possibly that my rifle is missing the flat plate that goes between the bottom of the mag spring and the floorplate. How necessary is that piece?
GPC doesn't have it, no one has one!
I'm sure you guys have played with this action enough to teach me what I need to know to make it run in top shape.
After everything, it is an awesome rifle and once I get it dialed in I will be even more in love with it. It has already gone on my spread sheet with a yellow highlight which means "family heirloom".
Looking forward to learning all I can here. Thanks, Mike

Bama110Tac
10-14-2020, 10:06 PM
Congrats on your rifle. Can’t wait to see it.

mikebritton
10-15-2020, 08:52 PM
Since I have to pay to post attachments that won't happen anytime soon.

Orezona
10-15-2020, 08:54 PM
Congrats on the rifle Sir.

PhilC
10-17-2020, 11:49 AM
Congrats!!! Have an early one myself that has been in my family for more than 50yrs and heirloom is a good description. ;)

LLOYD17
11-28-2020, 11:54 PM
Great rifle! My 1959 30-06 is what my little brother got an 8 point with a couple years ago.

I’d say take it to the range and give it a go. They’re great rifles. That one is surely a first year lefty from 1959. The date code on the barrel should be a K.

Bigdano
11-29-2020, 12:34 AM
Congratulations mike I have a 110 leftie myself my dad got it for me when I was a teenager it is my favorite rifle by far. Can’t beat those memories.

dan

Leatherstocking
11-30-2020, 11:22 AM
You could post a photo by uploading it to imgur and then posting a link.