PDA

View Full Version : 12 FV questions

Pages : [1] 2

TommyD11730
10-13-2020, 01:59 AM
HI guys, new to Savage, and this forum.
I'm thinking of buying a Model 12 FV in 223. I'm drawn to the 26" HB and decent trigger right out of the box.
I would like to replace the stock with a free floated model. Also one which would accept a detachable mag. Other then aftermarket stocks did Savage use a stock like that I can source?
Example, the Remington 700P uses the HS stock and sometimes you can find them used at a decent price.
Thanks for reading this and I look forward to getting educated on Savages.

Bama
10-13-2020, 07:02 AM
Bassman110 posted an excellent description of exactly what you're asking about in this same sub-forum 3 days ago . Also , there are a multitude of post here listed under "12FV Threadfest". I have 12FV in 223 and had settled on the same stock as Bassman110 but was considering an AISC magazine . I believe Bassman110 may have a better solution .

indianasavage
10-13-2020, 07:17 AM
Throw the factory stock in the trash. There are no Savage options that I would recommend. You won't find a super-cheap solution. Looks like Magpul has a Savage version of the Hunter stock but hard to find. This is probably the only drop-in stock with DBM and it is only about $300. In chassis, you have more options that include the MDT Oryx, XLR chassis (Element), and KRG 180-Alpha. The MDT Oryx is the least expensive of the chassis. You get what you pay for.

I have my .223 Savage FV in a Bell and Carlson stock that has been inlet for magazines. The inlet work was done by a shop that is no longer in business. It is very nice but was not inexpensive.

Dave Hoback
10-13-2020, 07:29 AM
The 12FV already has pillar bedding & free float stock, so it’s a detachable Mag you are after. Sure, Savage has made models like this. For instance the Model 10HS Precision. The problem I see, is sourcing something like this.

I believe your best option is a stock of your choosing & bottom metal from PT&G, CDI, Accurate Mag, etc.

jangus
10-13-2020, 07:55 AM
After considering my options for far too long, I popped for an Accufit Accustock from Ebay that came from, most likely, a 110 Tactical rifle. Bottom metal to accept a commonly available AICS magazine (no dealing with the Savage stock stuff, or expensive aftermarket 10 rounders like Dark Eagle) was part of the package. It came with a 10 round mag, and my local chain sporting goods store carries 10 and 5 round mags, so sourcing additional mags is simple.
Reprofiled my 12FV's recoil lug and put it together. Heading to the range on Sunday to see how it all plays together.
Cost was well below what an aftermarket stock + AICS compatible bottom metal and a mag would've cost.

CFJunkie
10-13-2020, 08:01 AM
The 12 FV with the factory stock shoots really well and is free floating and the light recoil with the .223 doesn't show the limitations of the cheap factory stock.
The 12 FV does come with a hidden mag however.
The hidden mag works fine if you are shooting factory ammo or hand loads with bullets under 60 grains that are loaded near SAAMI O.A.L.
I shoot heavy bullets that I load out at 2.330 to 2.350 so it is not so easy to get them into the hidden mag.
The hidden mag will take them, but the space available to get them into the mag through the ejection port was tight for my old fingers.

I have two threads, one on the Ammo and Reloading forum and one on this forum that describe my results with the 12 FV .223. The one on the Ammo and Reloading forum shows the results with the factory stock and the one on this forum shows the results with the Oryx chassis that I replaced the stock with.
The AICS mag allows loads up to 2.500 O.A.L. so I am very pleased with it and the Oryx chassis is a very nice solution, especially for the price.

hamiltonkiler
10-13-2020, 02:27 PM
I will shoot with any gun caliber on the market to 600yds with my .223 10 in a FV stock. The front recoil lug/action has been bedded but that’s it. Some backyard trigger work.
A off the shelf federal or black hills 77gn smk feed fine into the hidden mag. As they are loaded “mag length”

Nothing wrong with savage parts.

TommyD11730
10-13-2020, 02:31 PM
Bassman110 posted an excellent description of exactly what you're asking about in this same sub-forum 3 days ago . Also , there are a multitude of post here listed under "12FV Threadfest". I have 12FV in 223 and had settled on the same stock as Bassman110 but was considering an AISC magazine . I believe Bassman110 may have a better solution .

Thanks... I'll check his thread.

TommyD11730
10-13-2020, 02:35 PM
The 12 FV with the factory stock shoots really well and is free floating and the light recoil with the .223 doesn't show the limitations of the cheap factory stock.
The 12 FV does come with a hidden mag however.
The hidden mag works fine if you are shooting factory ammo or hand loads with bullets under 60 grains that are loaded near SAAMI O.A.L.
I shoot heavy bullets that I load out at 2.330 to 2.350 so it is not so easy to get them into the hidden mag.
The hidden mag will take them, but the space available to get them into the mag through the ejection port was tight for my old fingers.

I have two threads, one on the Ammo and Reloading forum and one on this forum that describe my results with the 12 FV .223. The one on the Ammo and Reloading forum shows the results with the factory stock and the one on this forum shows the results with the Oryx chassis that I replaced the stock with.
The AICS mag allows loads up to 2.500 O.A.L. so I am very pleased with it and the Oryx chassis is a very nice solution, especially for the price.
Thanks for the info.
Last thing I want to do is go to the trouble of converting to an external mag, only to find my hand loads are too long. Kinda like reloading for an AR, but at least you can cut those mags.
I was getting concerned because the couple of bottom metal "kits" didn't list 223.

TommyD11730
10-13-2020, 02:38 PM
I will shoot with any gun caliber on the market to 600yds with my .223 10 in a FV stock. The front recoil lug/action has been bedded but that’s it. Some backyard trigger work.
A off the shelf federal or black hills 77gn smk feed fine into the hidden mag. As they are loaded “mag length”

Nothing wrong with savage parts.

Good to hear.
I will admit, my older fingers have some trouble with blind mags. That's my primary reason to ask about detachable mags.

hamiltonkiler
10-13-2020, 04:07 PM
Good to hear.
I will admit, my older fingers have some trouble with blind mags. That's my primary reason to ask about detachable mags.

Use your thumb [emoji4]. Just press em in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlie b
10-13-2020, 09:33 PM
I don't use the magazines anyway :) Just slide a round in the chamber and shoot. :)

indianasavage
10-14-2020, 06:38 AM
Thanks for the info.
Last thing I want to do is go to the trouble of converting to an external mag, only to find my hand loads are too long. Kinda like reloading for an AR, but at least you can cut those mags.
I was getting concerned because the couple of bottom metal "kits" didn't list 223.

The Oryx is your best bet for a lower cost solution. I run the MDT mags in my DBM and yes, you can accommodate 2.5" of OAL. If you go cheap, you will get cheap results.

jpx2rk
10-14-2020, 07:09 AM
One of those single feed trays from SSS work wonders for bench work, just lay a round in the chamber and close the bolt, I've got one installed in all 3 of my FV12's.

GaCop
10-14-2020, 07:56 AM
I don't use the magazines anyway :) Just slide a round in the chamber and shoot. :) :thumb::thumb:

daved20319
10-14-2020, 11:20 AM
One of those single feed trays from SSS work wonders for bench work, just lay a round in the chamber and close the bolt, I've got one installed in all 3 of my FV12's.

^^^THIS^^^. My 12 FV started life as a .223 also, but I never intended to us it for anything but a bench gun, and I just shoot for fun, no competition, other than out shooting my shooting partner :cool:. I also have the SSS single shot sled, and it works equally as well after converting my 12 FV to 6.5 Creedmoor. I put my action in a Boyd's Pro Varmint stock from the beginning, after converting it to 6.5 CM, I put lead in all the voids, rifle now weighs about 14.5 lbs., and the recoil is on par with my much lighter Howa Mini action 6.5 Grendel with brake. Of course, just packing it from the truck to the shooting bench is a work out, but I can use the exercise :rolleyes:. Guess I've been lucky, both Savage barrels in my rifle have shot sub MOA right from the get go, and with the right ammo, 1/2 MOA is the norm rather than the exception. Much better than that will probably require a different nut behind the trigger. Later.

Dave

JeepsAndGuns
10-14-2020, 12:33 PM
I really like the stock on my 110 tactical.
I bought a complete rifle in 308 and converted it to 223. It uses AICS style mags and I bought a 223 AICS style mag from MDT.
https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?64335-223-5-56-rifle-build

If you could find one one of those stocks it might be something worth looking at. It is a accu stock with the aluminum bedding. The only thing is you will need to swap out the recoil lug.

TommyD11730
10-14-2020, 09:13 PM
I thought the accustock uses Savage brand mags?
The accufit uses AICS style mags?
Or am I wrong about that?

jangus
10-14-2020, 09:50 PM
Certain ones use the AICS mags. This is the route I went when restocking my 12FV. You'll need to swap the recoil lug, or be talented with a file, as the 12FV uses a bigger lug than the Accustock rifles.

PhilC
10-17-2020, 11:28 AM
I don't use the magazines anyway :) Just slide a round in the chamber and shoot. :)
What I do too.