PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 action torque settings and order?

Hawk45
11-10-2010, 04:13 PM
Figure this would be an easy find but wasn't.

Anyway I ask b/c on my 3rd stevens build I noticed that depending on how I tighten the action screws, the harder/easier it makes the bolt lift. I'm using a Praire Dog Special stock that is un-bedded. Is this causeing the action to torque? Should I do the front or rear bolt first? I noticed that the rear bolt torque doesn't have as much to do with it as the front bolt near the lug. Right now I have them hand tight with just a standard allen wrench and not a whole lot of pressure. If I crank on a T-handle on the front bolt it makes the bolt lift heavy.

Thoughts?

Thanks, John

DanSavage
11-10-2010, 05:54 PM
I'd say most likely your front screw is a little bit too long and you might want to try trimming it a small amount, for the hard bolt lift.

dfwbob
11-11-2010, 08:50 PM
I'd say most likely your front screw is a little bit too long and you might want to try trimming it a small amount, for the hard bolt lift.

I experienced this issue on a Stevens 200 and this was exactly what the problem was.

Bad Water Bill
11-12-2010, 04:02 AM
Take the front screw and grind off one full thread. The screw is long enough to friction lock the bolt. Do NOT ask me how I know.

knickia
11-12-2010, 08:08 PM
suggestions on "tuning" the torque on the screws

http://savageaccuracy.com/2010/02/01/how-i-tune-a-savage-receiver/

JTrottaNY
11-15-2010, 04:50 PM
I also had the same problem with a .243 after changing to a boyds laminate stock... was hung up for a bit thinking the same thing about the screw however I found that my magazine hole was too shallow and when I would torque down the screws it was driving the top of the magazine up against the bolt... a little dremel work and its much better.

Hawk45
11-15-2010, 10:00 PM
You guys rock! That was it. I took two threads off the front action screw and bomb!... smooth as silk. I also checked the mag box with some baby powder on it to see if it was rubbing inside the stock that was pushing up on the bolt.. and good to go there. So looks like it was a long action screw from when I switched stocks.

Thanks again guys.

big honkin jeep
11-16-2010, 03:10 PM
A washer used as a spacer on the front action bolt will also solve this problem. The advantage of doing it this way is if you decide to switch back or change to yet another stock your action bolt will still be long enough.
BHJ