PDA

View Full Version : Finally got to shoot the 223

KMW1954
10-12-2020, 11:14 AM
Was only able to shoot to 50yds because the range was full and couldn't get to 100yds but that was OK by me. I needed to get familiar with the gun and get a baseline for how I was shooting it.

Shot a box of Federal American Eagle 55gr FMJ-BT and they did very well. First group of 3 strung high left to down-right at .795" and the second group had a 3 shot group that were all touching each other about 1/2" high and left of the bull. 3dr group opened up to about 1.25" and then shot a 6 shot group that was 1.220" with one high flyer otherwise they were all from center to 1/2" just above the bull.

Next I shot 5 different levels of a hand load. That being a Hornady Varmint 55gr SP bullet with Ramshot TAC powder with loads from 21.7 to 22.9 in .3gr increments. I loaded up 20 ea. of these but only shot two 3 shot groups at the same target with each load.

I was actually very impressed over-all and have to say I think the Original owner has it sighted very well for the American Eagle ammo.

Next I don't think my shooting of my handloads was very conclusive. they all grouped fairly well but the load at 22.3gr seemed to be the tightest and the 22.9 the largest. I still have room to go with a higher load but the 22.9 is just were I stopped for now.

charlie b
10-12-2020, 06:37 PM
At 50 yd it is hard to tell much. A good group at that range will be very small, eg 0.25". Shooting 3rnd groups may tell you what loads won't work but you'll need to shoot some more if you want to know which ones will work. Is it a sporter barrel or heavy barrel? If smaller one you'll need to take some time between shots.

How many rounds did the previous owner shoot through it? If not many you may still be breaking in the barrel. My Axis was only an MOA shooter until I put a few hundred rounds through it.

KMW1954
10-12-2020, 09:40 PM
Charlie b, this is a sporter barrel and the original round count is unknown though I was told it was a couple boxes or less. The session shot yesterday was 60 rounds over about 2.5hrs. Barrel got warm but never hot. Definitely need to shoot a lot more, if nothing more than to get myself more trigger time so I can get a better feel for if it's me or the gun/ammo.

Right now I have 16 rounds of each of these hand loads left so I think I should shoot another 6ea. at 50 yards again just to see if I can repeat what I already seen and then move to the 100 yard target and shoot off the rest at that distance and then evaluate again.

charlie b
10-12-2020, 11:06 PM
I'd pass on the 50yd and go straight to 100yd. I shoot my .223 at 200yd for load testing. Spreads out the groups so it is easier to see the differences.

KMW1954
10-13-2020, 12:38 AM
I've been working at an outdoor range that has a range with 50 and 100 yard target stands and another range that has 200 and 300 yard stands. Most of my time has been spent as an RO on the 200/300 range and is what brought me to this activity. I have gotten to see a number of shooters going to 300 yards with their 223 bolt guns and shooting some very small groups. But then they are also using heavy barrels and much larger scopes.

So you don't think it worthwhile to see if I can repeat my previous shots? Will the added distance really add anything to my understanding and confidence? How would I compare a 100yd. to those 50yd.? Not sure what to look for or judge what was just me. Should I continue the 6 shot groups?

charlie b
10-13-2020, 08:35 AM
No I don't. A 1/2" group at 50 yd will be 1" at 100yd, 2" at 200yd, etc. 100yd is the minimum I consider to see what is going on with my shooting, the rifle and my reloads. I like 200yd because the differences are easier to see.

All this depends on what you expect to be able to shoot. I know that as a shooter I am capable of a bit better than 0.5MOA (1/2" at 100yd) on most days. So, a group of less than 1" at 200yd is what I like to see. If I was a deer/elk hunter at ranges of 300yd or less, then my goals might be a bit different. I'd be happy with a rifle that shot less then 2" at 100yd and I'd do a lot of practice at standing, kneeling and sitting positions.

I like 5 shot or 10 shot groups to see what is going on. I use 5 shot groups to develop loads, 10 shot groups to test me :) You don't have to shoot all 5 at the same sitting. Take a shot, rest a minute or two, take another shot, etc. Check the barrel temp. Find a cadence that keeps the barrel from heating up too much.

The important part is to have fun with it.

KMW1954
10-15-2020, 06:05 PM
Just got back from the range and finished shooting out those reloads I made.

I did shoot today at 100yds and the results were as predicted and expected. The groups did open up appropriately and after reviewing the targets I see that the groups are all more vertical in nature than horizontal. They do also look more linear than scattered. So that must be me I'm guessing. Once again the most consistent load was between the 22.3gr and 22.6gr so I think I can drop the 21.7/22.0 and the 22.9gr loads.

Process today was I shot 3 of each at separate targets, that was 5 bullseyes on the same target. After shooting 3 rounds of each load I worked backwards and shot another 3 at the same matching previous targets. I then repeated that process on a new target and the results were very similar. So that was a total of 12 shots of each load this session.

mikeinco
10-15-2020, 06:19 PM
2 5 shot groups would have more value.

Just got back from the range and finished shooting out those reloads I made.

I did shoot today at 100yds and the results were as predicted and expected. The groups did open up appropriately and after reviewing the targets I see that the groups are all more vertical in nature than horizontal. They do also look more linear than scattered. So that must be me I'm guessing. Once again the most consistent load was between the 22.3gr and 22.6gr so I think I can drop the 21.7/22.0 and the 22.9gr loads.

Process today was I shot 3 of each at separate targets, that was 5 bullseyes on the same target. After shooting 3 rounds of each load I worked backwards and shot another 3 at the same matching previous targets. I then repeated that process on a new target and the results were very similar. So that was a total of 12 shots of each load this session.

charlie b
10-15-2020, 08:18 PM
I think he had 12 rounds of each load to fire, so 2 6round groups of each load is good enough to see trends.

Vertical may not be you. Can you determine if the POI of each 3rnd group was higher or lower than the other? If so it may simply be a barrel/ammo temperature thing. Hotter ammo, higher velocity. Hotter barrel can shift POI as well.

KMW1954
10-15-2020, 09:33 PM
Vertical may not be you. Can you determine if the POI of each 3rnd group was higher or lower than the other? If so it may simply be a barrel/ammo temperature thing. Hotter ammo, higher velocity. Hotter barrel can shift POI as well.

When comparing both targets I can't say that I saw a impact shift as the second target showed about the same pattern as the first target. Both show a 1" wide grouping with a 2" deviation from high to low. Again all these were shot over a 2 hour period and the ambient temp was 52*. Barrel never did get hot.

I have to say that I am enjoying this and I hope I learned a few things today.

This next round of loads I believe I will load 20ea. of 22.3, 22.4 and 22.5gr and see what happens. And by the way Thanks again everyone for prodding me to move to 100yds. Boosted my confidence for certain!

mikeinco
10-15-2020, 10:41 PM
shoot a fouler and then 5...do it twice...2 5 shot groups.

I think he had 12 rounds of each load to fire, so 2 6round groups of each load is good enough to see trends.

KMW1954
10-16-2020, 12:11 AM
shoot a fouler and then 5...do it twice...2 5 shot groups.

Actually there were 4 shots at the center target with Federal factory before I started. Just to settle down and settle in. Today was 12 shots at two separate targets. In actuality 4 three shot groups with each load. Again I could shoot 15 shots at the same target and I don't believe it will show me anything different than what I am doing now. I could take these two targets shot today and superimpose one over the other and still come up with the same picture.

charlie b
10-16-2020, 08:46 AM
You're welcome.

If all the groups had a vertical string it can mean a few things but I think most of it will be your technique. Trigger control and how you hold the rifle are the two big ones. Using a good rest is part of this. Some like bipods, others like bags, and then there are the bench rests. I use a bench rest and rear bag for load testing and best accuracy.

Here is a post with some good advice about shooting techniques:

https://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?63914-First-results-with-new-12-FV-223&p=459814&viewfull=1#post459814

kwarw1
01-11-2021, 11:25 PM
Good advise guys,
I usually get the most improvement with adjusting the OAL. I load a dummy round long, chamber it softly to find max. 90% it's at the lands or within .010, just my experience. good luck