PDA

View Full Version : Hey all!

mikebritton
10-12-2020, 10:15 AM
Mike Britton here,
I just scored one of my "holy grails", a 110L in .30-06!
So... I thought I would join the forum to see what I could learn. It's an early one, serial #209XX, I know it's pre 65 because of the trigger and ejector, but from there I am lost.
I'm not fond of the -06, but I can get and load lighter loads for it.
I always wanted a 110L but they were always beyond my pay grade. I got this one priced right!
Retired from John Deere Dallas parts in 2004, been bumming around since. Lost my wife in 11, my 27 year old granddaughter and her husband live with me and it is chaos!
Looking forward to what I can learn here. Thanks, Mike

drybean
10-12-2020, 10:21 AM
Welcome aboard

Balljoint
10-12-2020, 10:47 AM
Welcome to the SAVAGE BROTHERHOOD

Phreddie30.06
10-12-2020, 01:16 PM
Hi Mike! I have one of those also. Found Hornaday light recoil rounds are acceptable as I am recoil shy. My 110L used to belong to my father who bought it new at Montgomery Wards store in Albuquerque. He even gave me the receipt. Its dated December 20th 1963.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

mikebritton
10-12-2020, 03:43 PM
Hi Mike! I have one of those also. Found Hornaday light recoil rounds are acceptable as I am recoil shy. My 110L used to belong to my father who bought it new at Montgomery Wards store in Albuquerque. He even gave me the receipt. Its dated December 20th 1963.

Cool! So both of our rifles are about the same age!
I'm excited to have this rifle. I have a 1903A3 that I made a sort of "pack" rifle with a 20" barrel. Won't do that again! The muzzle blast is spectacular!
I'm betting this rifle with it's 22" barrel will be much more civilized.
I'll sell the Springfield to cover the cost of the Savage.
I'm having difficulty picking a scope out of my pile of scopes. I have a 4-12X40 AO Tasco on it now, but I cannot seem to get the eye relief right. I know I have the right Weaver mounts, 46 for the front, 61 for the rear but the scope just barely fits between the rings.
I'll come up with something, I have 2 drawers full of scopes in my gun chest.
I'm gonna check out those Hornady loads. I tore my left retina a few years ago and I'm a bit concerned about heavy recoil doing damage to an already damaged eye.

ragsflh
10-13-2020, 12:15 PM
welcome

Phreddie30.06
10-13-2020, 02:12 PM
Cool! So both of our rifles are about the same age!
I'm excited to have this rifle. I have a 1903A3 that I made a sort of "pack" rifle with a 20" barrel. Won't do that again! The muzzle blast is spectacular!
I'm betting this rifle with it's 22" barrel will be much more civilized.
I'll sell the Springfield to cover the cost of the Savage.
I'm having difficulty picking a scope out of my pile of scopes. I have a 4-12X40 AO Tasco on it now, but I cannot seem to get the eye relief right. I know I have the right Weaver mounts, 46 for the front, 61 for the rear but the scope just barely fits between the rings.
I'll come up with something, I have 2 drawers full of scopes in my gun chest.
I'm gonna check out those Hornady loads. I tore my left retina a few years ago and I'm a bit concerned about heavy recoil doing damage to an already damaged eye.Mike, I had same issues with the scope on my rifle. I went to Bass Pro with a tape measure and found a scope that had the length needed to clear the rings and that was a Nikon.
I hope you enjoy your rifle as do I. My wife doesn't mind alot of recoil as I think I've said previously, I'm recoil shy and .45-70 is too much for me.
The first time I shot that rifle, I was 8yrs old and my father was standing behind me and he caught the rifle as it flew over my head and I landed on my butt. I didn't shoot that rifle for 12 years! Now I can't get enough!
My nephews have asked that I leave the gun to them. I will do that but I can not guarantee that it won't be worn out.

ttexastom
10-14-2020, 11:11 PM
Welcome to the savage family.

GaCop
10-16-2020, 06:37 AM
Welcome! If you handload, you can assemble accurate light recoiling loads.