PDA

View Full Version : How To Change Detent Ball

Bama
10-12-2020, 06:57 AM
I have replaced the ejector pin and spring with the factory parts Savage sent me and my 12FV will still not eject . I would like to try replacing the extractor detent ball with a 9/64 ball bearing . Problem is that I don't know how . I've searched and can not find directions on specifically how to do this . Could someone could suggest a link that explains the process ? Thanks

celltech
10-12-2020, 07:10 AM
The extractor simply slides out the side of the bolt head. Although you can't see it, there is a dimple cut out on the underside where the ball applies some pressure. I just use a small screwdriver/hex key to push it out. But you might want to do it in a plastic bag as the ball will can come flying out once it's free. I then use a magnetic flat tipped bit on a handle to push the ball back down as I slide the extractor back in.

Bama
10-12-2020, 07:35 AM
Thanks celltech .

Steeltrap
10-12-2020, 07:56 AM
I've done this and upon someone else's recommendation, put your bolt inside a plastic bag that you can poke a hole or two in order to make the change. That way....if you slip up...the spring and ball don't end up on the other side of your workshop....into that deep black hole of stuff that you can never find again.

Ask me how I know this!

Bama
10-12-2020, 08:47 AM
Thanks Steeltrap. Will put bolt in a bag. Being new to all this , I’m unsure on the little things like whether to push the extractor toward the outside or toward the center and how to get it back in place . Trying to cover the bases . Who ever said “ignorance is bliss” must have been nuts . Thanks again .

rmeyerwy
10-12-2020, 10:12 AM
I didnt have that issue with my 12 fv but did with my 110 varmint. Savage sent me a replacement. there is a video on it on youtube, should be the same I think or pretty close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ert1Sw-HfHc

I replaced mine, it came with a spring and ball, and it solved my issues.

My problem with the 12 fv was the mag spring was too stiff I guess, It would miss feed about every time so I ended up crimping one of the "z" down a bit ( after I had savage send me a warranty replacement kit ) and that fixed its issue.

Hope that helps some..good luck and good shooting

Dave Hoback
10-12-2020, 11:22 AM
Yes, quite easy. Hey, I do it with one hand, so...:smile-new: The plastic bag is a good idea. I also use 3.5mm Si3N4 bearing balls. Started using them for everything that required bearing balls.

Fotheringill
10-12-2020, 11:28 AM
I have used the plastic bag method with CZ detent balls. It also helped with a tiny bit of gun grease on the new ball. I think these were approximately 1/8" diameter balls. It will help prevent the new one from launching. i would also suggest doing the whole operation within the confines of a transfile sized cardboard box. i learned these things the hard way with a very curious and apparently hungry dog. I also kept a few detente balls in reserve having no desire to monitor "things" 10 or more hours after the dog ate one.

Bama
10-12-2020, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the link. Will give this a try as soon as the new ball bearings get here. I've not had any problem with the feed. So far the ejector is my only complaint - the 12FV shoots a lot better than I do !

Bama
10-12-2020, 12:20 PM
Thanks Dave. Doubt that I'll get it done that easily but that makes me fell a little more comfortable about trying this.

Bama
10-12-2020, 12:23 PM
Many thanks. Your dog sounds about like mine. What is the old saying , eat anything that doesn't eat him first .

rmeyerwy
10-12-2020, 01:09 PM
No problem. yep I love my 12 fv. Mine is 223, put a boyds at one stock on it, bedded it and it tightened up pretty good. Shot well before, just better now, and its so fun to shoot!

the 110 Varmint is also 223, took a bit to settle it in and find the loads it likes, mine does not like vmax bullets for some reason, but 55, 60 gr. Hornady SPs, Blitzkings, vermeggdon fbtp.

Bama
10-15-2020, 07:46 PM
Wanted to thank folks again for the help . Got the 9/64 bearings in today and used one to replace the detent ball . After your help , the whole thing was very simple . So far , with spent rounds , ejection is 100% . Will try real world tomorrow . If all goes well , I’ll being troubling y’all again for more help in conversion to dbm . Thank you again .