PDA

View Full Version : Did I just ruin my rifle?

skyking897
10-10-2020, 07:14 PM
Picked up a Savage 110 BL Series J in 30-06 last year and put a new scope on it earlier this year.  Put a few rounds thru it to quickly sight it in and put it away waiting for moose season.  Pulled it out yesterday and went to the range to verify it's still sighted in.  Worked flawlessly and on target for 7 shots.  Number 8 was way off target.  Cycled another round into the chamber, sighted and pulled trigger and nothing.  Trigger wouldn't move, like safety was on but it wasn't, in fact I couldn't move the safety.  That's when I noticed a piece missing out of the stock where the bolt locks down.  Found the piece lying on the ground beside me and don't know why it broke off.  Tried moving safety lever but no luck and packed up and headed home.  When I looked at it at home the safety worked normally  and the trigger worked normally too.  Did some further inspecting and found a space between the barrel nut and receiver (that's what I think it is).  The spacer/washer between the two is loose has about 1/8" space.  Something is wrong and I'm not about to fire this gun until I know it's safe.  Anyone have any ideas?

https://photobucket.com/u/skyking897/p/26f10a41-9bf1-4399-a338-5f81258cb449
https://photobucket.com/u/skyking897/p/cdac5e28-081e-4e56-bd93-ff519886ab01
https://photobucket.com/u/skyking897/p/26ef79f0-be92-4af6-88ba-df4c0e34529f

ninner
10-10-2020, 08:31 PM
A picture would help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdog06
10-10-2020, 08:51 PM
In between the barrel nut and action would be the recoil lug... do not shoot it until it is properly tightened(headspaced). If that was loose then upon shooting it the action was probably aloud to slide back under recoil and that’s probably what broke the stock..

like mentioned above, pics would help but it sounds like you either need to take it to a gunsmith or post your location and maybe a member here is close by and could help you out. But do not shoot it till it’s fixed properly.

mnbogboy2
10-10-2020, 10:35 PM
In between the barrel nut and action would be the recoil lug... do not shoot it until it is properly tightened(headspaced). If that was loose then upon shooting it the action was probably aloud to slide back under recoil and that’s probably what broke the stock..

like mentioned above, pics would help but it sounds like you either need to take it to a gunsmith or post your location and maybe a member here is close by and could help you out. But do not shoot it till it’s fixed properly.

After seeing pictures I agree, barrel nut was loose, became looser, action slid back on recoil, broke stock, also while jammed backwards that is why safety/trigger malfunctioned.

Bring it to a qualified gunsmith for inspection, headspacing & any other repair necessary.

Question out of curiosity: where did you pick this up at? Barrel nuts rarely if ever factory loose. My guess is someone tinkered with it or "threw" it together to make a sale. Scary.

Steeltrap
10-11-2020, 08:15 AM

olddav
10-11-2020, 08:25 AM
If the barrel nut back off it would allow the recoil lug to move toward the muzzle during recoil. With repeated firings the stress may cause the action to move rearward as the lug is no longer in contact with the stock. The barrel could remain in place maintaining correct (ish) headspace.

mnbogboy2
10-11-2020, 09:39 AM
If the barrel nut back off it would allow the recoil lug to move toward the muzzle during recoil. With repeated firings the stress may cause the action to move rearward as the lug is no longer in contact with the stock. The barrel could remain in place maintaining correct (ish) headspace.

^^^ this ^^^

Slowpoke Slim
10-11-2020, 11:19 AM
OP,

Your rifle is not ruined. However it can't be shot until it is fixed. A competent gunsmith can fix it without much problem.

First, the barreled action needs to be taken out of the stock and the headspace readjusted with a Go Gauge and the barrel nut tightened properly. While it's apart, the area of the stock that is inletted for the action needs to be checked out, and possibly repaired for cracks and other damage. You could have pillars installed at this time, and I would recommend it, as the stock screw holes are probably wallowed out and damaged now. Then have the gunsmith glass bed your barreled action back into your stock.

All should be right as rain at this point.

Any properly skilled professional gunsmith should be able to do these things for you, and your rifle will be good as new again.

Robinhood
10-11-2020, 02:12 PM
The recoil lug may be bent also. It is hard to believe that with the action screws being tight it would move that much. There may have been a slew of conditions that got us to this point.

mnbogboy2
10-11-2020, 02:42 PM
The recoil lug may be bent also. It is hard to believe that with the action screws being tight it would move that much. There may have been a slew of conditions that got us to this point.

I agree on the recoil lug may be bent. The factory holes in the stock are ~ 5/16" so even if they were centered originally the 1/4" action screws could easily slide back 1/32" or more without the recoil lug holding it. Often the bolt just clears the notch so to me anyway if the nut wad as loose as it looks the 30-06 recoil could easily slide back and break the stock. With each shot the action bolts would be stretching and wallowing out the holes somewhat also.

Sure would like to know how everything came to be in the first place. I once bought one at a gun show that was "slapped" together with mismatched parts. Of coarse never shot it, the barrel was gloss, the action was older blued, the wood stock was already broke etc. Just curious as to his.

mikeinco
10-11-2020, 05:58 PM
did you buy this rifle new ??
because coming apart is not normal.
if you bought new and did not mess with it, contact savage..let them fix it

Dave Hoback
10-11-2020, 06:59 PM
I’m afraid your presumption was correct. The rifle is completely ruined! I would recommend your only recourse is I’ll take it, to properly dispose of it...I’ll pay shipping of course. To help you out a bit. Just the kind of guy I am.:becky:

Seriously, I believe you have a few things going on. I’m guessing you purchased this used? I think there is a bit of unknown here...perhaps BUBBA has had his hands on it. Looks like barrel nut was loosened.. Perhaps action screws are loose? And possibly? And perhaps piece of smutch jamming trigger/safety.

Just too much going on to easily diagnose via interwebs!:distracted: Given a look by someone as Myself, Robin, Mike, mnbogboy2 & the many others of use here, it would likely be a pretty easy fix. But if you don’t have know how, even explaining a fix likely won’t be of any help. Take it to a gunsmith.

skyking897
10-12-2020, 04:24 PM
Picked this rifle back up today from the gunsmith. He explained lots of things I'm not familiar with but I remember him talking about a go-no go gauge, setting the headspace, a bent screw in the trigger guard, no other damage inside the stock other than the piece that had broken off. He actually did a test fire while I was there. I took it to the range to test myself and after 2 shots the recoil lug was loose again. When I talked to him on the phone he wasn't sure why it had come loose again and I'm taking it back tomorrow. In the mean time, I was supposed to leave Thursday for moose camp. Luckily I have a backup rifle for this.

sharpshooter
10-12-2020, 04:51 PM
The nut came loose because it has a crack in it. I've seen many times with the old style round bottom grooved nuts.

Robinhood
10-13-2020, 09:53 PM
Skyking897 you can take this to the bank.

The nut came loose because it has a crack in it. I've seen many times with the old style round bottom grooved nuts.

skyking897
11-14-2020, 05:55 PM
Pardon my not replying sooner, but this here is what the issue has turned out to be. You can not actually see the crack when the nut is loose but it shows up when tightened.

Bigfoot
11-19-2020, 07:25 PM
That is why when I rebarrel a 110 I always purchase a new lug that is trued and a new barrel nut and not the ones from Savage, the ones from EABCO have been excellent.