PDA

View Full Version : Savage Model 14 and American Classic Model 14 rifles

Savage 94C
10-07-2020, 11:59 AM
Can anyone tell me the difference between the earlier Savage Model 14 and the later American Classic Model 14.

1)Wondering about the production years of each.
2) How the two rifles with the same model number differed if at all.
3) How they compared with the Model 110 rifle. Were they a upgrade of the 110 or a cheaper produced version like the Remington 700ADL vs the more expensive 700BDL?
4) Pros and cons of either Model 14 and Classic 14.
5) Was the American Classic just a reissue of the early 14 or did it have upgrades?
6) Curious why Savage dropped the 14 the first time and only had a short run the 2nd issue.

Friend of mine has a early 14 in .222 Remington and it is a very accurate coyote killer. Like its lines and the rear bolt handle arrangement like on the 110's. I've seen a few early and late 14's once in a while at local gun shops and gun shows. but not in the caliber I'm seeking, .223. Want that caliber due to having brass, bullets, die's, etc already, not wanting to have to buy all new components and I'd like to stay in the .224 bullet diameter caliber, don't want 22/250 either. Any info would be appreciated. Can't find much on the web or search's on this forum. Thank you.

Well I'll be---after posting this I tried searching for 14 and 14 classic and at least nine pages popped up. A close read scan of the first 2-3 sort of answered some questions a bit, but not thoroughly the questions I posted. The first time I tried doing a search it came back as not enough information given for search. I refined it and still nothing. Have some now, but would still be interested in any feedback. Thank you.

godale
10-07-2020, 12:38 PM
I think the earlier ones had no accutrigger I am not sure . I have a 2005 114 . Classic . My buddy had a earlier one without the trigger and a little wider stock. than mine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Savage 94C
10-07-2020, 01:05 PM
No, the 14 my friend has doesn't have the accu-trigger. He's had it for alot of years, veteran fox/coyote killer.

godale
10-07-2020, 01:59 PM
Be hard to get answers most of these guys like do it yourself rifles . The 114/14 classics are ready to go

Savage 94C
10-07-2020, 05:37 PM
Huh? The description heading for this section 'Savage 110 Series Rifles' also has a good number of factory rifles listed including the 14. Just saying.

godale
10-07-2020, 05:47 PM
Huh? The description heading for this section 'Savage 110 Series Rifles' also has a good number of factory rifles listed including the 14. Just saying.

Fred will probably answer soon lol

godale
10-07-2020, 06:05 PM
At the time I got mine they were the best looking savages yet . Wish I would have bought a270 too. But my Stevens 200 does a nice job

jpdown
10-07-2020, 06:54 PM
If I remember correctly, the first American Classic was introduced around 2005 when Savage Arms changed over to the center feed DBM. The first one I purchased had a luster blue finish verses the later matte blue and SS versions. The launch was when Savage Arms switch to the center feed DBM assembly. The American Classic stocks were mostly grade A walnut with some figure. The bottom parts were all metal. They had a black plastic forearm tip and a fairly thick “cookie cutter” factory finish. I always stripped off the factory finish and refinished with Tru-oil to bring out the true beauty of the walnut and make it easy to repair the dings and scratches that come with use. When stress-free bedded, Savage factory walnut/hardwood stocks will bring out all the accuracy potential of your rifle and mine alway shot sub MOA 3-shot groups with hand loads and the 22” factory sporter barrel. I’ve migrated to the Savage LWH model over the the past several years. Switch out the plastic bottom parts and the LWH walnut stock is just a lighter, more compact version of the American Classic stock.

Savage 94C
10-07-2020, 10:54 PM
Thanks for the info'!

godale
10-08-2020, 06:43 AM
Mine does have the dbm

PhilC
10-08-2020, 09:20 AM
Don't let the numbering confuse you, they are all "110". Savage changed the numbering for short action rifles in 1998 from 110 to 2 digits 10, 11, 12, 14, 16 etc. then changed back to 110 a year or so ago.

This is one of the topics from the FAQ, there are more on the history - Savage Model 110 History: 1990-1999 (https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?524-Savage-Model-110-History-1990-1999)

Savage 94C
10-08-2020, 10:23 AM
Don't let the numbering confuse you, they are all "110". Savage changed the numbering for short action rifles in 1998 from 110 to 2 digits 10, 11, 12, 14, 16 etc. then changed back to 110 a year or so ago.

This is one of the topics from the FAQ, there are more on the history - Savage Model 110 History: 1990-1999 (https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?524-Savage-Model-110-History-1990-1999)

Interesting read, thanks for posting. In fact I've just rediscovered the Savage information in regards to history, articles, and such on Savage firearms in the 'Home' section of this site. Alot of good info there, can't wait until winter so I can sit and read more, to much to yet outside and with finishing up first floor interior remodel and bow season for deer. I found JBakers PDF files on Savage Catalogs and using jpdowns' posting that he thought the 14 Classic's were introduced in 2005, went through each successive year reading about the American Classic 14. They were in fact introduced in 2005, no mention of them in 2004. Reading about them in each year was repetitive times, but picked up bits here and there. Appears 2012 was the last year for any 22 caliber's. 2013 chart showed .243 as smallest caliber offered. The last catalog showing was 2016 and the 14 was still offered that year, no idea when they dropped the model. To bad, I like it. Have to hunt one down. Thanks JBaker for putting up, any chance of adding catalogs after 2016.

Discovered also that the American Classic 14 was really an upgrade of the 110. Same action/barrel, but with nice walnut stocks and cut checkering. One comment I saw on another forum somewhere was that the poster thought that later 14's didn't have the high luster blue as earlier ones. The 14 sounds like my kind of rifle. Nothing really against plastic or laminated stocks, but there's something about real wood (and all steel), walnut wood. More to admire about the rifle as a 'piece of art' than a camo rifle and such. I like my guitars all wood also, none of the composite, laminated bodies. Anyway, be looking for a Mod 14 Classic in .223 at gun shows this fall and winter, guns shops, and online Gunbroker type sites. Any more info will be read with thanks and interest.

jpdown
10-08-2020, 04:30 PM
Another option, go to Numrich Gun Parts and you can currently buy a discontinued Savage 14 American Classic stock. All current Savage SA, CF models with sporter barrel will be a drop in fit. Contact Savage Arms and purchase the bottom metal (trigger guard, DBM frame assembly and bottom cap). This build one in the caliber you prefer. At one time there was also a Monte Carlo comb version.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1366590

Savage 94C
11-02-2020, 09:08 AM
Howdy all---just an update on my Model 14 Classic search. Found a beautiful blued Model 14 Classic American .223 caliber several weeks ago, very reasonable price compared to what I see other Model 14 AC's selling for, although bigger calibers than .223. Really Really good shape. Gun shop seller was selling it for a customer who's father had it and was selling some of his fathers estate firearms. The son who the seller knew said his Dad hadn't fired the rifle much since buying it new a few years back. Looks like it too!!! Savage rep advised the Model 14 serial number of the rifle I bought is in their records dating March of 2012. According to Savage's catalog's, 2012 was the last year they offered any .224 caliber Model 14's, .243 the smallest offered. Came with steel mounts, purchased a set of Leupold medium PRW2 rings and Leupold VX-3i 3.5x10x40mm scope. Need to get mounted this week and enjoy. Thanks to all for info.