PDA

View Full Version : Selecting my first rifle

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Dave Hoback
10-06-2020, 01:47 PM
Hands down 12FV. Good rifle from the start. Shoot the piss out of it, then you have a good action to re-barrel & mod to your heart’s content. Athlon are great scopes for the money. In fact, I’m still quite happily using my Athlon Midas BTR 4.5-27x50. Got it new for a ridiculous low price! I’m not a competitor. I shoot for fun. But I’m still fond of the best I can afford. I build ALL of my own firearms. The Savage model 10, 11, 12, etc., are great for DIY’ers...even beginners, for upgrading & modding as you can, on a budget. My model 10 for example, I purchased used. Stripped to bare Action & did a complete build. Stuck it in a chassis w/ the aforementioned scope. Of course it’s not the best rig out there...but it’s mine...built with my one hand! And it will do 1000yds with ease! Much further even. It’s MUCH more accurate than I am. So, could it be competitive if I wanted? Well, sure....at least to the level I myself could be.

ninner
10-06-2020, 01:48 PM
As for everyone dogging on the axis heres my 6.5 creedmoor build. It can be done and the geometry of the action lends itself to accuracy. Recoil lug not so much, but it locks up good in this chassis so I just trued the action on the lathe , it was out about .5 mill, and didn’t cut it for a traditional lug. I started down the path after finding an axis lefty beater at a pawn shop For $150. Cobbled together parts from here and eBay. $500ish later Not including the glass. I’ve got a damn fine rifle. Should a newbie try it? Probably not, can it be done? Yes. Could I sell it for what I have in it? Not unless the buyer shot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201006/2c759c739caa193b754ac82ddac8b87e.plist

hamiltonkiler
10-06-2020, 04:09 PM
As for everyone dogging on the axis heres my 6.5 creedmoor build. It can be done and the geometry of the action lends itself to accuracy. Recoil lug not so much, but it locks up good in this chassis so I just trued the action on the lathe , it was out about .5 mill, and didn’t cut it for a traditional lug. I started down the path after finding an axis lefty beater at a pawn shop For $150. Cobbled together parts from here and eBay. $500ish later Not including the glass. I’ve got a damn fine rifle. Should a newbie try it? Probably not, can it be done? Yes. Could I sell it for what I have in it? Not unless the buyer shot it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkhttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20201006/2c759c739caa193b754ac82ddac8b87e.plist

I’ve never seen that chassis and I’m in love. Dang..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBT321
10-06-2020, 04:36 PM

I have to say, that's exactly the sort of "build project" that really appeals to me!

I'll probably get just as much satisfaction from doing that sort of custom job, as I will from firing it.

The Axis probably would be enough for me to learn the basics on, as I'm starting out. But given the strong recommendations on here and the fact that I'm looking at a fairly small all-in difference of about $130 between the Axis ($567) and the 12 FV ($698), I think it makes sense to go for the extra 4 inches and the heavier barrel. But I'm really liking what you did there - it gives me ideas :) Thanks for sharing!

Ross.

Robinhood
10-06-2020, 05:03 PM
have you considered a used savage rifle?

RBT321
10-06-2020, 09:35 PM

Yes, but I wouldn't know a well treated example from a bad one, so I'm wary.

If it was through a dealer I'd be more confident. Even a decent sized operation with a table at a local gun show I'd likely be happy to give it a go, but I found my local shows seem to all be about 20% over-price compared to the rest of the country. Actually overheard a guy at the last one telling his GF this was all "Covid Pricing"!

And I haven't found many examples of the 12 FV being given up by owners - which is another sign that it's a good choice.

Ross.

ninner
10-06-2020, 11:22 PM

I have only bought one new savage rifle in my life and it’s been long gone for years. Savage rifles are sub $200 around here in pawn shops all the time.

Dave Hoback
10-07-2020, 10:11 AM
Well, used is definitely the way to go! Picked mine up off Gunbroker for $170. It was a model 10 Accutrigger in .243, synthetic stock. I was only concerned with the Action & trigger from the start. Immediately stripped it and built into this.

https://i.ibb.co/ZSBxqdh/0-FBD1005-8-C30-4-DA6-95-FE-0866-F1-AB2348.jpg (https://ibb.co/nB7jxrD)

ninner
10-07-2020, 10:15 AM
Well, used is definitely the way to go! Picked mine up off Gunbroker for $170. It was a model 10 Accutrigger in .243, synthetic stock. I was only concerned with the Action & trigger from the start. Immediately stripped it and built into this.

https://i.ibb.co/ZSBxqdh/0-FBD1005-8-C30-4-DA6-95-FE-0866-F1-AB2348.jpg (https://ibb.co/nB7jxrD)

Nice, which chassis it that?

RBT321
10-07-2020, 02:10 PM
I have only bought one new savage rifle in my life and it’s been long gone for years. Savage rifles are sub $200 around here in pawn shops all the time.

Genuine question because I do not know the answer and it would helpful to learn: What is the likelihood that a rifle found in a pawn shop will have been treated well? Are we talking 50/50? Better? Worse?

And are there any immediate give-aways that a newbie like me could spot to indicate a rifle has not been treated well?

This is Florida so guns are popular and lots of people use pawn shops all the time, so its probably worth me trawling a few of my local stores to see if there's anything interesting. Knowing their other stocks of computer games and music gear, I'm not all that hopeful to see much in the way of good prices around here though.

Ross.

tobnpr
10-07-2020, 02:28 PM
^^^
Mostly irrelevant.
I think most likely it would fall outside your budget by a bit, but we refer to pawnshop pick-ups as "donor" rifles.

You would be purchasing first for the completed action. Retail, 4 bills plus for a new one. Second, perhaps the stock- if it serves your purpose. The barrel is considered a throwaway, since you don't know it's condition. If it happens to be a chambering and contour you could/would use, then it may be worth a quick borescope inspection by a local smith.

There are often NTO (new take-off) barrels for sale- from newly purchased rifles that are upgraded with better quality barrels out of the box, and they can be picked up inexpensively- although popular/high demand chamberings like the 6.5 Creed less so.

It's worth a look at your local pawn shops to see what might be there. If the stock fits your needs, and you can pick it up for a couple bills (none around here are ever that cheap)- you can rebarrel with a higher quality aftermarket prefit for similar cost as a new factory stick.

My take is that you're probably best off as a new shooter to stick with a new factory rifle at first- you can always upgrade it down the road should you choose to do so, esp if you stick with the 10 line as there's a lot more aftermarket support.

Dave Hoback
10-07-2020, 04:02 PM
Nice, which chassis it that?

It’s the MDT TAC21...same brand as your LSS chassis. The buttstock, I thought up & machined myself.

What tobnpr said is correct. You’re only concerned with overall condition. Honestly, just take a look on G.broker. It’s easy to find them in good condition. A used model 10 and new 6.5CM barrel of your choice will run approximately what a NEW rifle runs. And you were planning on a new stock anyway, right? I always recommend this to people with any basic ability.

RBT321
10-07-2020, 04:39 PM
It’s the MDT TAC21...same brand as your LSS chassis. The buttstock, I thought up & machined myself.

What tobnpr said is correct. You’re only concerned with overall condition. Honestly, just take a look on G.broker. It’s easy to find them in good condition. A used model 10 and new 6.5CM barrel of your choice will run approximately what a NEW rifle runs. And you were planning on a new stock anyway, right? I always recommend this to people with any basic ability.

I'll take a look on GB now, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

And yes, the stock will get replaced. I'm planning to use the basic stock initially, just practice with that at first to get used to the rifle, and use that time to start figuring out what I actually want from a replacement stock - then I can search for the right bits for me.

Oh, my earlier comment about the 12 FV being on sale for Black Friday might not be correct. The site I was looking at was advertising a brochure as 2020's, but a closer look confirms it was actually last years :( So I don't know what, if any, deals they might have this year. But I have still made contact with my local Bass Pro store manager and when we get a bit closer to the time, he seems willing to try to help me.

Ross.

Dave Hoback
10-07-2020, 08:27 PM
Cabelas lists the Model 12FV in 6.5CM for $419.99. I still think that is an outstanding deal. Depending on your starting budget, this option may very well be your best bet. Only you can decide that. Overall, buying used & building will save you money overall...and you will have a premium match, super high quality barrel. But it will require a slight bit more in the beginning.

celltech
10-07-2020, 09:04 PM
And don't forget you can get Cabela's gift cards for 14%+ off all over the internet. You will be well under $400 even with tax...

RBT321
10-07-2020, 09:56 PM
And don't forget you can get Cabela's gift cards for 14%+ off all over the internet. You will be well under $400 even with tax...

Are you saying that if I buy a whole bunch of these: https://www.giftcardwiki.com/gift-cards/Cabela%27s I can use them all on a single purchase to save 14.5% off the total? And I can combine them with special shop sales prices and any suitable Savage rebates that are running, all at the same time?

Hmmm, I'm so glad I joined this forum! :cool:

Ross.

celltech
10-07-2020, 10:26 PM
Back in the golden days of Cabela's sales and Savage rebates I bought several 12FVs for $219... Hell ya you can use the gift cards.

RBT321
10-12-2020, 01:48 PM
Back in the golden days of Cabela's sales and Savage rebates I bought several 12FVs for $219... Hell ya you can use the gift cards.

Okay, so I'm taking the plunge on a 12FV at a local BassPro!

I've never used the discount gift cards before so I have a question: Do I need to go get a physical card from BassPro to put in my pocket, so that it can be 'charged up' when I buy those discounted egifts? Or can I just buy a bunch of the egifts and I'll be able to print something that can be used at the checkout? Or do these need to get physically shipped to me?

Ross.

RBT321
10-15-2020, 01:39 AM
I have a bizarre follow-up.

I'm getting a 6.5 Creedmoor 12 FV this weekend, but a friend just offered me a brand new Axis (not II) .270 he doesn't want, for just $50! I think I'd be crazy not to take it!

What I'm wondering is this: Eventually I plan to re-barrel the 12 FV with something like a 30" Shilen, and re-stock at the same time. But could I then go and fit the 12 FV barrel to the Axis and turn it into a 6.5 Creedmoor with a monster 26" heavy barrel?

And to swap all these over what will I need? Barrel wrench, go-no-go gauges, cleaner and lubricant. Maybe some bedding materials. Anything else?

Ross.

ninner
10-15-2020, 02:09 AM
I have a bizarre follow-up.

I'm getting a 6.5 Creedmoor 12 FV this weekend, but a friend just offered me a brand new Axis (not II) .270 he doesn't want, for just $50! I think I'd be crazy not to take it!

What I'm wondering is this: Eventually I plan to re-barrel the 12 FV with something like a 30" Shilen, and re-stock at the same time. But could I then go and fit the 12 FV barrel to the Axis and turn it into a 6.5 Creedmoor with a monster 26" heavy barrel?

And to swap all these over what will I need? Barrel wrench, go-no-go gauges, cleaner and lubricant. Maybe some bedding materials. Anything else?

Ross.

Yes, that will work, I’d add an action wrench since the axis barrel will be a bear to get off. The sand blasting grit left on the barrel threads acts as a loc-tite and can be hard to break loose. After the barrel is removed it cleans off and is not a problem I’ve done 4 axis builds and only had one that was a real PITA.