PDA

View Full Version : Switching calibers .223 to .308

3whlnut
11-10-2010, 09:57 AM
Hello ladies and gents all I can say is what a great site. I was looking for some info on switching calibers on a model 11 I picked up really cheep. I paid 400 and that was with a bushnell 10x, choate stock, timmey trigger, and a harris bipod. I have a few rifles in .223 so I want to switch this one to .308. I know where to get a barrel but where should I buy a bolt or just the head from and what can I do with the blind mag to fit a .308 round? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

blue
11-10-2010, 02:50 PM
IMO I would just replace the bolt head instead of a complete bolt and it can be bought from places like Midway and I believe from some of the sponsors which are great people to deal with or from the cassifieds section here on this site. If you hace a centerfeed mag you can also purchase it new or in the classifieds here. Sorry a haven't ever change a mag out on a staged feed before but everything I have read it is not much of a problem, someone here will reply shortly on a that I would bet. $12 membership will get you access to the classifieds and a lot of information on just about any repairs, dissassemble and techincal articles on the How To Do.

The members here that I have dealt with have been have been great people to deal with and share information with, best $12 I every spent.

sha-ul
11-10-2010, 10:49 PM
I would wager that if you decide to sell the 223 bolt head you can find an outlet here. if you spring for the $12 membership you might even find a 308 bolt head listed, or one will be in a matter of days. parts are always popping up for sale or trade

3whlnut
11-10-2010, 11:21 PM
thanks for the replys guys it is off to pay for the membership.

blwnbwtie
11-12-2010, 10:32 PM
You are also going to need to replace the front baffle. The 223 one will not allow you to use the mag because the bolt with not go back far enough to pick a round up. I got mine from midway for about $3.

3whlnut
11-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Can some one give me a list of the parts I will need for the conversion. Any help will be great.

Blue Avenger
11-12-2010, 11:08 PM
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,36970.0.html