PDA

View Full Version : My first project

db_tanker
09-19-2020, 02:22 PM
So I've been ever so slowly inching my way to building one of these rifles. Wound up with a brand-new Stevens 200 in 270 on sale back in 2008. Shot it a few times and just never felt the spirit of Jack O'conner reach out to me with it. So it sat in the very back of the safe until a month or so ago.

Friend at work has been talking about how awesome the 6.5 CM is and so on. As I am one who really dislikes following the path often taken...I figured I'd get me a set up, on the cheap, that can do the same but with a bit of style.

Got the barrel vise, wrench set and a few other items...and an ER shaw 26" stainless 6.5x55 barrel. Then got a used wood stock ordered from Numrich, Burris 3-12x42 scope and leupold two piece scope mount. The furniture isn't here yet and I know I'll have to for sure inlet it for the dia of this barrel (light varmint contour). Dies have been purchased, some hornady brass, lapua and S&B loaded ammo...figure in two weeks we shall see if this will work out...

If it does...then I've already got a few ideas for some other projects...

Pics will follow

D

JW
09-20-2020, 06:57 AM
That is how it starts
Building whatever you can imagine is the fun of the Savage rifle.
It sounds like you will have a good one.
Enjoy
Jack

Robinhood
09-20-2020, 04:31 PM
Don't forget to come back with a range report!

db_tanker
10-11-2020, 04:30 PM
okay so I tried to upload a pic and said I will have to wait for a mod to approve.

that was yesterday the 10th.

So anyway, the rifle itself looks rather epic with the 26" barrel lol and as you would expect, the bloody thing is nose-heavy a bit. BUT that works out quite nicely since it will be simply a bench toy.

The break in was straightforward and no issues were noted with my headspace job. Scope was already on paper and tweaked it to where it was inside the 5 ring. Unfortunately other duties of life cropped up and had to bug out but I managed to get two five shot strings off at 100. One set was with 100 gr Lapua OTM factory and the other was with 129 gr Hornady's in Hornady cases using H414. Those were some really nice groups. Less than 2" at 100 (again, factory and first run hand loads...I've already looked up a few other recipes to try out) but at 300 yards I could ring a 12" gong with some of the same 129 gr Hornady bullets using a caseful of surplus WC860 (checked around and found out that it would be okay just alot of unburnt powder...and there was that for sure lol)

interesting little tidbit...I was worried about the case head of the Lapua and Sellier and Bellot ammo being too large for the "standard" .473 bolt head...come to find out there was no issue whatsoever.

now just need to clean up the furniture and make it look more presentable. :)

D