PDA

View Full Version : Stevens 200 .223 scope base

tuit
11-09-2010, 10:07 PM
I decided on a Stevens .223, After debating with or with-out scope package, I already had a set of rings and a cheap Simmons scope lying around so decided on the rifle with-out the scope. NOT knowing that a base is not just another base, I picked up a set of Leupold Rifleman Bases, paid and went about my business. Got home, aligned up the bases and the holes matched - thinking to my self, I got this made and saved a few dollars not buying the scoped rifle- WRONG....
The attaching bolts were too big. Looking at the front package, it had CZ printed on it. My thought was hum - what’s wrong with this picture??? I kept them any way knowing they had to be wrong. went back and talked to sales kid, he stated that the short end was the front so bought another set of Leupold mounts marked Savage 110. Got back home, mounted the bases, then noticed one was flat on the bottom and the other was round. Once again- Hum. Finally started digging around on the internet searching for Stevens 200 scope mounts- then finally found out that both bases had to be rounded on the bottom. Thinking WOW I found the problem- NOT!!! Nobody sells bases for Stevens 200. Kept digging and found that Savage 10 had the same rounded mounts. By this time I have 3 different sets of bases that don’t fit and my savings by not buying the scoped rifle is dwindling down to nothing and I still don’t have the scope sitting on the rifle..
Went to Wholesalehunter.com, went to their section for Weaver bases, discovered that Stevens 200 took the Weaver 46 base on front and rear- both have rounded bases. Started looking at the first set of bases I had- the CZ set, and discovered that they were the same base and both rounded, only difference that I could notice they were about a 1/16 or so higher than the Leupold Savage set that I also bought earlier. So I used the Savage screws on the CZ mounts and they fit.
I don’t know if this is correct or wrong- when using the two bases that are the same as per Weaver base selection chart on wholesale hunter .com, set the scope on the bases
With out the top rings attached, lightly push the scope down on the rear ring; it appears that the front base/ring is about 1/16 to lower than the rear.
Is this correct??? If it is then the Leupold Rifleman CZ with Savage screws works.
Thank you in advance. Hal

Next time I'll buy the scoped model.

Slowpoke Slim
11-09-2010, 11:24 PM
Nope, it's wrong. Can't you take all 3 base sets back to the store and exchange them for the one, proper one they should have sold you?

Savage, 2pc, round rear scope base is what you're looking for. It doesn't have to say "Stevens" on the package. It's just a "round rear" Savage.

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Blue Avenger
11-10-2010, 08:58 AM
OK, now that you have used longer screws-- You have to take the scope back off and check the front mount, front screw for being to long. The front screw normally just barley touches the barrel threads in the blind hole it goes in. If you used to long a screw it bottomed out before it tightened the base. Take the rear screw out and see if your base wiggles.

The front base rear screw, If to long will stick down in the bolt race way and hinder bolt turning. Easy to notice

tuit
11-10-2010, 11:02 PM
I think the Savage Gods were looking over me.
I Googled Stevens 200 mounts and found an old
post at some other gun site- don't remember
which one it was since I looked at so many of
them. Anyway it mentioned that Walmart had
Stevens 200 bases in some other state. Just for
grinns and giggles, I stopped by our local Walmart
and I'll be damned, they had probably 10 sets hanging
behind a glass counter so I picked up 2 sets.
I have been eyeing a 243 to go along with my
.223 and 30-06 that I still have not shot yet.

Thank you- everybody that helped.

Hopefully one day I will learn enough to beable
to help somebody else.

Blue Avenger
11-10-2010, 11:20 PM
PS... the savage 200 is the same action as is used on the savage line.

tuit
11-11-2010, 10:44 AM
The yellow box was marked Weaver - Savage 110 w/accutrigger / Stevens 200