PDA

View Full Version : do we have a forum for current sngle shot cf rifles

Pages : [1] 2

mikeinco
09-18-2020, 08:38 PM
i am looking at building a 308 win on a 12 single shot savage receiver.
where might we discuss such a project
thanks
mike

Robinhood
09-18-2020, 08:42 PM
right here mike

mikeinco
09-18-2020, 09:39 PM
OK this is to be an "accurate" rifle. but not a bench rest rifle
308 win 175 smk's or lapua 185's, lapua brass
something UNDER 1 moa out to 800 yards, 1/2 moa would be great but not required.
who has a 308 win single shoot that is a shooter...SINGLE SHOT TARGET ACTIONS ONLY.
WHAT BBL
what stock
the action and accutrigger are paid for as is a accustock...may or may not keep stock.
would love to hear from some criterion shooters.

Texas10
09-19-2020, 05:00 PM
I set up my 12FV (small shank) as a single shot in 308 with a Shilen Select Match barrel in 10 twist. It would shoot off the shelf FGGM .308 168 gn and 175 gn ammo well under a minute at 200 yds. Handloads are even better, holes touching. The second .308 i built was on an 11 action, polished blue, and a stock Savage sporter barrel also polished blue. Came out beautiful and shot 175 gr Precision hunter ammo so well I didn't bother to do a hand load workup. It's my pig and deer gun. It's quite light, and kicks like a mule!

charlie b
09-19-2020, 10:21 PM
Mike, several of us have factory 12 varmint rifles in .308 that will do 1/2MOA on a regular basis. Mine does under MOA at 1000yd if I get the wind right. I shoot mine as a single shot, although that's not what you were asking :)

I think a target action with criterion barrel will do much better. Will follow and see how yours does.

Robinhood
09-20-2020, 11:51 AM
Factory Savage 308 FTR's shoot very good most of the time. Pillar and bed and it gets better. Put a Shilen or even a Criterion on it and they shoot great. But Mike, you are no amateur and this isn't close to being your first savage build. So what gives?

mikeinco
09-20-2020, 03:18 PM
i have given up on mag fed savage rifles. they lack structure/bedding surface.
so i have sold most of my savages, have two on their way out.
and am looking at the singe shot actions.
not an out right 'bench rifle" but a target rifle. more than hunting accuracy, a little less than br accuracy.
i am looking at either a lilja or a krieger as a shouldered/no nut or "maybe" a criterion drop in.
i will start with an accu trigger and an accu stock.
i would like to do turned necks and lapua brass, maybe palma brass.
1/2-1 moa out to 800 yards is the goal.
this is the donor rifle( bbl is already sold)
6 BR Savage Model 12 LRPV; Factory hvy SS 26" bbl w/1-12" T <300 rnds; Factory syn stock w/g-bedding over bedding block, Black; Factory Accu 1½ lb trig

Factory Savage 308 FTR's shoot very good most of the time. Pillar and bed and it gets better. Put a Shilen or even a Criterion on it and they shoot great. But Mike, you are no amateur and this isn't close to being your first savage build. So what gives?

charlie b
09-20-2020, 05:27 PM
For 800yd why not just use the 6BR? It should be accurate enough as is. I understand if it isn't. I also understand wanting a .308 as it is one of my favorite cartridges (and qualifies for F/TR).

mikeinco
09-20-2020, 06:38 PM
you have not seen my stock piles of 308 supplies!,
and i have a 6br, but limited supplies( plus a 30 br, 6 dasher).
maybe 7-8 308's 3 ar10s, multiple bolts in 308......no single shots.

or as they say
"cause I want to!"

(isnt ftr prone ?? i do not shoot prone...)

For 800yd why not just use the 6BR? It should be accurate enough as is. I understand if it isn't. I also understand wanting a .308 as it is one of my favorite cartridges (and qualifies for F/TR).

tobnpr
09-20-2020, 09:01 PM
Really doesn't matter which of the mid-tier barrel you run with.
Shilen, Criterion, McGowen, Douglas, Pac-Nor, X-Caliber...take your pick. All similarly priced, all will deliver sub-moa accuracy.
No difference in accuracy whether a shouldered, or nutted barrel. More about aesthetics, but that comes at a cost unless you're doing the lathe work yourself.

As the saying goes, "pick a winner".

Robinhood
09-20-2020, 09:20 PM
Shilen, Criterion, McGowen, Douglas, Pac-Nor, X-Caliber...take your pick. All similarly priced, all will deliver sub-moa accuracy.
No difference in accuracy whether a shouldered, or nutted barrel. More about aesthetics, but that comes at a cost unless you're doing the lathe work yourself.

I tend to agree with this. When you step up to a cut rifle barrel consistency improves.

Mike: F/TR is prone, as is F/Class.

mikeinco
09-20-2020, 10:29 PM
sorry but i disagree.
i do chamber my own bbls
no x caliber no mcgowen no shilien no douglas...
lilja or kreiger, if i do a prefirt criterion
i do not do "mid"
your standards and mine are not the same.

charlie b
09-21-2020, 09:05 AM
you have not seen my stock piles of 308 supplies!,
and a i have a 6br, but limited supplies( plus a 30 br, 6 dasher).
maybe 7-8 308's 3 ar10s, multiple bolts in 308......no single shots.

or as they say
"cause I want to!"

(isnt ftr prone ?? i do not shoot prone...)

Good a reason as any!!!!

And no, I don't do prone either anymore :) IIRC there is a provision in some clubs for bench F/TR but not at the nationals, I think.

tobnpr
09-21-2020, 09:55 AM
sorry but i disagree.
i do chamber my own bbls
no x caliber no mcgowen no shilien no douglas...
lilja or kreiger, if i do a prefirt criterion
i do not do "mid"
your standards and mine are not the same.

We're not in disagreement.
I have no idea what you mean by us having "different standards".

Your criteria was "something UNDER 1 moa out to 800 yards, 1/2 moa would be great but not required."

So why would I have a customer spend the additional hundreds of dollars on a cut-rifled barrel, when they just told me the accuracy from a button-rifled barrel is more than adeqaute?

I'm a bit puzzled as to why you even asked the question, given the depth of knowledge on the subject you say you have...

mikeinco
09-21-2020, 10:22 AM
my first reply clearly says
I DO NOT DO MID(tier quality bbls)
which is why i said our standards differ.

Robinhood
09-22-2020, 12:08 PM
tobnpr, Mike may be a barrel snob but for a reason. It is his money and his rifle. I do agree with you that his posted requirements are attainable with mid tier barrels. Your chances of getting a hummer with a cut rifled barrel may be a lot higher.

Fuj'
09-24-2020, 06:49 AM
If me, I'd go to the heavy 7mm side of the world but I understand
your supply pile for .308's. I'm mainly a Single shot Savage shooter.
I had such a huge supply for everything Creedmoor that had me
doing the hard math of liquidating inventory, To feed my 7mm wild
cat habit's. I shot The Creedmoor with Criterion barrels, and with
no regrets, but it just got boring. My Brux 30" 7.5 twist, 4 groove
barrel never seen the reamer.....Just made a trade to a Good friend
and gunsmith that's building a 6.5 PRC. Barrel, boxes of Berger 144's
150 Sierra's, and 140 RDF's. Effectively, my home supply chain is
leaned more to the 7mm's, and Bartlein with a second Bartlein on the
drawing board. One thing that is a constant though, it seems the
Savage Target action get's layed on the bench first. I guess some
things never change.

mikeinco
09-24-2020, 11:56 AM
what is the od of the savage target action ( LRPV action)

sharpshooter
09-24-2020, 01:28 PM
Same as the rest ...1.350".

mikeinco
09-24-2020, 03:06 PM
thanks..
needed to know before ordering a bbl
Same as the rest ...1.350".